Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 146576

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 22:22   #211
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Just to say: today I finally got round to repairing the ABS ECU on the wife's 850, following the advice on this forum. (It should have been done last month but the holidays got in the way.)

I cracked open the ECU case, removed the rubbery lacquer, de-soldered, re-soldered, re-lacquered, slapped it together again and sealed it with mastic.

ABS and Tracs lights now go out and everything works as it should. Thanks VOC forum - without you I couldn't have fixed it.

Justin
yup i agree

voc has been a great assistance in fixing my own abs controller.

fixed it over christmas and it's worked perfectly since i put it back into the 855.

thanks
Darth Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:29   #212
glynmax

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyB V70R View Post
Well, I done mine yesterday arvo. About 3 hours after i posted up that my lights had'nt come up on the dash for a couple of days...They came on..!

Took me about 2 hours from start to finish...Done all the ones in the piccy that Jamie done...Soldering took about 3/4 of an hour. Just put a new little blob on each joint, easy to do. Worst bit was cutting the Lid off the ABS unit.

Put unit back on the car (after the Silicon had dryed) and took for a test drive.
Started the car and the lights stayed...got up to about 20mph while its checking the system...Lights went off and now stay off, only coming on for a couple of seconds when you first turn on the Ignition.

So hopefully all cured. DB.
Hi bit off anold post ive got the same ecu prob with it ghosting just wondering if you had any pics of where i should solder thanks glyn
glynmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 09:53   #213
justinhill

Glyn,

There are pictures somewhere on here, either at the top of this thread or one of the several similar threads on this subject. However, You don't really need a picture. Once you've sawed your way into the unit you'll be looking at the back of the PCB. After carefully removing the clear goop that protects the board, you want to re-solder every connection associated with the two multipin plugs. It's very clear which pins these are when you're looking at it. Afterwards, you should try and replace the protection somehow - I used a spray lacquer designed for PCBs.
justinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justinhill For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 13:15   #214
glynmax

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Glyn,

There are pictures somewhere on here, either at the top of this thread or one of the several similar threads on this subject. However, You don't really need a picture. Once you've sawed your way into the unit you'll be looking at the back of the PCB. After carefully removing the clear goop that protects the board, you want to re-solder every connection associated with the two multipin plugs. It's very clear which pins these are when you're looking at it. Afterwards, you should try and replace the protection somehow - I used a spray lacquer designed for PCBs.
Done resoldering this morning works lovely £500 cheaper for me thx so much ev1 amazing how easy it was just 2 power pins had dryed out tryed them and it worked thx to ev1 on here for info glyn
glynmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:53   #215
paulgrimshaw62

Default 54 plate V70 ABS

I've got an intermittent fault on my 54 plate V70 T5. The car has done 150k and is ex-plod.

The ABS light comes on and the 'ABS service required message' comes up on the dash display.

It came on the other day after about 30 mins of driving then stayed on for 2 days, then after I'd had it in the garage it didn't come on but then came on the next day. I'd say it appears to come on when the engine gets a bit of heat.

I took it in to my local garage and they took it to the Volvo dealers for a diagnostic. The dealers said they were 95% sure it was the ABS ECU. The codes were:

BCM-0148 Communication between control units Wrong configuration ID
BCM-0115 Communication between control units Communicational problems with SAS, signal missing
BCM-0057 Power supply Voltage too low
as well as two wheel sensor faults for faulty signal.

The ECU looks to be similar to the ones decribed in the this thread, and I wondered if anyone had had experience of ABS faults on the 2000 model year cars.

btw Volvo quoted £1500 + vat.

I can get a used ECU for £80 but I've been told that the car would still have to go to back to Volvo afterwards to be 'set up'. ????

Any advice would be great thanks.
paulgrimshaw62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 12:02   #216
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

im not too sure about your 54 plate car but when i did my V70 1999 model i had several problems, one of which was the ECU but i also had to replace a sensor and both reluctor rings, once this was all done my ABS/TRACS lights went out as soon as i hit 20mph and havent been on since.

you may find better answers on the 2000+ section of this forum

cheers

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 14:29   #217
paulgrimshaw62

Got this sorted thanks. It was a loose driveshaft bolt on the n/s. Just shows, Volvo would just've charged somebody else £1800 for something they didn't need.
paulgrimshaw62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 14:45   #218
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgrimshaw62 View Post
Got this sorted thanks. It was a loose driveshaft bolt on the n/s. Just shows, Volvo would just've charged somebody else £1800 for something they didn't need.
The wheel sensor code would have accounted for the driveshaft problem BUT you also have communication codes between BCM and SAS ( Steering Angle Sensor ) . This will probably come back , volvo now do a software upgrade for the SAS which makes it less sensitive . well worth having done .
SAS Software UPGRADE NOTSAS Software Reload ...

YOu cant use a second hand module it's serial number is matched to the car .
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 15:14   #219
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

YOu cant use a second hand module it's serial number is matched to the car .

Not quite correct I'm afraid ..its SERIAL NUMBER is MATCHED to the ABS PUMP you CANNOT USE A second hand ABS ECU but YOU CAN buy a complete ABS pump & ECU & fit it to ANY car ...

currently on flea bay (COMPLETE UNITS) for £60 / £75 quid (Ish)

as long as the ABS PUMP & ABS ECU have MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS they are a STRAIGHT SWOP on any car
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 16:01   #220
Clan
Experienced Member

not true i am afraid , the black ABS control unit is matched to the CEM in the car serial numbers have to match and also have to match the serial numbers stored on the volvo computer in sweden for your paticular car , just like all the other main modules on the car .! There is nothing electronic in the ABS Pump /valve body except simple solenoids and a motor ... this doesnt apply to the S80 up to 2001 for some reason ! so go for second hand units on that for sure .