Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

leak diagnostic pump--

Views : 2441

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 19:13   #1
Beevis
beevis

Default leak diagnostic pump--

My Volvo service dept. wants me to replace the leak diagnostic pump. I have read a little about them and understand that they deal with emmison detection.
Do I need to replace this? What harm can come to me if I do not?
Beevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:07   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have tried to find what this means , is there a different wording for the problem ? Emmissions could mean EGR valve or Oxygen sensors etc ? You can probably manage without the EGR valve some people have just blocked off the hole ( but apparently this can cause carbon build up causing more problems ) but if its Oxygen sensors then you cant manage without these unfortunately .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 16:12   #3
Beevis
beevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
I have tried to find what this means , is there a different wording for the problem ? Emmissions could mean EGR valve or Oxygen sensors etc ? You can probably manage without the EGR valve some people have just blocked off the hole ( but apparently this can cause carbon build up causing more problems ) but if its Oxygen sensors then you cant manage without these unfortunately .
Thanks, no the 'leak diagnostic pump' is not the same as the EGR valve or oxygen dectectors. It is a device that periodically exerts pressure into the gas tank to detect fuel vapor leaks. Here is a link for a BMW part--I cannot find a Volvo part of the same type. But am thinking that it is not necessary to the functioning of the car. However the 'check engine' light stays on if it is not repaired--so i am in a bind there.
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx
Thanks if you can find out anything else for me.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 17:14   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

the gas tank is something I know something about ( not a lot ) as I have had ongoing problems in that area and replaced the electric fuel pump and had problems with the in tank syphon arrangement and have had the whole lot in and out a couple of times . I am 99% sure there is nothing in the fuel tank which injects pressure to test for a leak , the pump itself puts out pressure at about 2 bar in a diesel but the only pressure regulation I am aware of is the on/off that the relay applies to the pump ,Haynes shows item 10 to be the ' fuel pressure sensor' so maybe this is built into the creme coloured plastic top where the pipes go in and out of the tank , the fuel pump spends most of its time switched off as the first stage of the engine mounted mechanical injection pump sucks fuel through for most normal driving , you only need the electric pump for starting or when accelerating hard . Maybe your garage is reffering to the complete fuel pump assembly ?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 17:21   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

Hello Beevis , had a look at the link and this one is new to me so I am now out of my depth on this problem so hope another more expert member can give you some advice , I wonder if this device is something BMW do for the USA market , I have not seen any reference to this device for use in Europe or maybe its something Volvo have also introduced in newer models , I dont think its used on anythng before 2004 but I maybe wrong ?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 17:25   #6
Mister T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevis View Post
My Volvo service dept. wants me to replace the leak diagnostic pump. I have read a little about them and understand that they deal with emmison detection.
Do I need to replace this? What harm can come to me if I do not?
Beevis ,
The first thing that should be done is update the software (if not done already) as per the Technote from Volvo , this new software tests the pump in a different way , the old software can cause false readings and cause the MIL lamp to come on.
Mister T
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 17:25   #7
Beevis
beevis

Thanks, I will let you know--I am going to try also to use the 2carpros forum and see what they can tell me.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 17:31   #8
Beevis
beevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
Beevis ,
The first thing that should be done is update the software (if not done already) as per the Technote from Volvo , this new software tests the pump in a different way , the old software can cause false readings and cause the MIL lamp to come on.
Mister T
Mister T,
The service mgr. told me that they updated the software in order to test the pump. They said that they tested the pump and that it failed three times. They want to charge me $356. for the repair (p&l). I was hoping that if I needed to do this that I could find a part cheaper.
Thanks, Beevis