Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seperate P2 V70 key & remote upgrade to flip...

Views : 1092

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2015, 21:06   #1
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Default Seperate P2 V70 key & remote upgrade to flip...

I only got one remote with the car and two keys. An original and a 'clone'. As I carry a quite busy key ring the remote fell apart. Although you can get replacements on fleabay I decided to try to upgrade to a flip key... Instant, seemingly sensible decision, leading to endless heartache...

Bought this on fleabay for £7. Seemed quite well made. Discovered when I stripped my remote down that all the switches needed replacing. These are they. I chose a model with more resistance to give better 'click' feedback. Soldering these is not for the faint hearted but is easily done with a bit of prep in the form of removing the old ones (being very careful not to use too much heat and causing the copper track to lift), tinning with good quality solder and using a tiny soldering iron bit to solder the new switch pads. Mine are far from perfect but as I dont have three hands it will have to do!

I transferred the PCB to its new home and found I had to pack the top a little to get the buttons to line up with the moulded push plates. I dabbed a bit of silicone on the edges to keep it in place.

This particular remote housing has built-in a recess the perfect size for the transponder built into the key you're going to dismantle and sacrifice.

When I took my new flip key apart, I took the blade to 9 different locksmiths in and around Yorkshire. NOT ONE would cut it. All cited some BS about being frightened to ruin their cutting machine or being sued in case it didn't work. I'm ashamed at their gutless and unhelpful attitude.

The flip key blade on the unit I bought is BRASS not some soft cast rubbish it turns out. The grove in it, at first glance appears not to be the correct size, however when I compared it against my two keys, it was the same as one and wider than the other and as both keys work perfectly, it didn't bother me like it bothered the locksmiths.

I had to go South for a family do, and just happened to drop into a key cutting cobblers called Snobs in Surrey. Peter at the Banstead store was extremely helpful and said they be only too happy to cut it, but I didn't have it with me!

Back home I eventually sent the blank with my spare to them via my Dad. We had a discussion because they felt the groove was incorrect and of course they was no transponder. Long story short, they cut it and sent it back after I'd reassured them. Cost £25.

As soon as it arrived I tried the key. It fitted and worked perfectly... BIG GRIN!

Tonight I cut the transponder from my worst key and reassembled the fob with it in. Everything works perfectly. I now have a single 'posh' flip out key with transponder and remote all in one lovely new and reliably safe black housing.

(can someone pls tell me how to upload images!)

Total cost - just shy of £50, but that included insuring my key for £200 when sending it by post, instead of £270 from Volvo. I'd call that a bl00dy bargain!

Last edited by YorkshireDave; Dec 11th, 2015 at 21:11.
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 21:46   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

Great story, well done...
Seen those on the Ebay but wasn't sure what the craic was...

Your pictures are on your computer i gather, well just click on the toolbar above when you reply, click on the paper clip icon beside the smiley face, this will open another window which will have 5 or 6 Browse buttons, just click on the top one first and it will allow you to browse your computer (My pictures/desktop/documents) to find your pics, then upload using each successive browse button for each pic, then close this box but if you click the icon again it wll open a really small window saying "manage attachments", below the jpegs it will say "insert all", thats it,,,, It will upload the pics as Text attachments first,
you won't see the pics until you submit reply but when you re-enter to view your post the pics should be on.

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 11th, 2015 at 22:16.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fob, key, key fob, keyfob