Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From the S80 forum - fuel flap replacement

Views : 82500

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 18:12   #1
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

Default From the S80 forum - fuel flap replacement

This link was posted on the S80 forum but would apply equally well to the S60 & V70:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...649#post271649

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha206 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:47   #2
binty

Thumbs up S60 fuel flap hinge

Dear Graham,
Just done mine on the 2001 model and it was basically the same but perhaps this thread was a bit complex. I did mine in the dealers car park using a swiss army knife.

The original hinge had 4 self tappers to remove and then pulled off. I kept the self tappers and re used them.

The new hinge had 4 x plasic plugs above the fitting holes. these just snap off.

The hinge can be clipped on with just finger pressure, but it is tight. I found it best to hold the hinge and flap against the car to start with to ensure they were al the right way round before attempting to click them in place.

One hinge and flap are united the hinge just presses into place and the self tappers screw in to hold it. Total time less than 5 minutes.

Interesting when I rang the dealer, expecting to have to buy a full hinge and flap assembly, they said it was a common problem and they kept the hinges in stock. They were surprised mine had lasted so long.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 11:16   #3
october37

Question october37

Hi Binty,
As the deales said, its a common problem but I have never heard of one with self tapping screws before.
They usually have expansion plugs with push in centres (similar to the fixings in the door cards) and are very easy to replace useing a small thin screwdriver etc to push the center tapered pins through and release the plugs.
Holding the hinge firmly against the car body, a tap with a small hammer on the end of a short thin piece of wooden doweling held against each protruding pin in turn should fix the expansion plugs properly seated in their holes
Regards
Keith V70 2.4T
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to october37 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:53   #4
GazW

Mine came away (I walked into it whilst open!) at a garage near Bristol whilst on hols towing a caravan. Rang my local dealer (TMS Hinckley) and they said no probs, they're in stock and we'll fit it for free! 2 days later, they did!

Don't know if this is normally the case but it's excellent customer service seeing as I get my S80 serviced elsewhere.

Well done TMS!!
GazW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 20:43   #5
EJJS80

Default S80 fuel flap

Had to replace mine walked into it at filling station, just after I'd filled up.

John
EJJS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 21:28   #6
Jotuns

Superb.
Just got my used Silver 04 S60 D5 Gtronic 50,000m fully loaded to start new career as self employed It Contractor after years of company cardom....
First fill up last night and the flap came off in my hand !

Googled it and came across your article. 5 minutes no hassle.
Brought the part from Volvo main dealer £6.56 and the friendly parts guy shared a laugh about the number of hinges they sell.....

Well done sir...
Jotuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:22   #7
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binty View Post
Dear Graham,
Just done mine on the 2001 model and it was basically the same but perhaps this thread was a bit complex. I did mine in the dealers car park using a swiss army knife.

The original hinge had 4 self tappers to remove and then pulled off. I kept the self tappers and re used them.

The new hinge had 4 x plasic plugs above the fitting holes. these just snap off.

The hinge can be clipped on with just finger pressure, but it is tight. I found it best to hold the hinge and flap against the car to start with to ensure they were al the right way round before attempting to click them in place.

One hinge and flap are united the hinge just presses into place and the self tappers screw in to hold it. Total time less than 5 minutes.

Interesting when I rang the dealer, expecting to have to buy a full hinge and flap assembly, they said it was a common problem and they kept the hinges in stock. They were surprised mine had lasted so long.
The screws (4x½" No.6 stainless steel self-tapper screws according to the link above) would be a lot easier for an unpracticed person than the plastic pins. (I wouldn't think self tapping screws would be required since the screw threads are just biting into plastic. Whatever screws one had on hand that were the right length and diameter would probably work.)

I had a little trouble punching the old pins through to release the old hinge because at first I was afraid to punch with sufficient force to eject them.

The Volvo parts guy told me that pressing on the outside without supporting the pin could cause the pin to fly and be lost. He said one way their techs get the new pins started was to break them off and pass them through the expansion fasteners from the inside out until most of the length was clear on the outside. I did this and it did work. Then I held the hinge in place and thrust the pins in flush with a plumber's faucet valve seat remover. I could use my abdomen to support my wrist to force the pins in and didn't need a hammer.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 13:21   #8
bertuk

cmy v70 came to me without a fuel flap,got a second hand one in the same color off an s60 as the v70 and s60 share the same flap, knocked out the 4 platic pins put stainless steel self tappers in all done in under 5 mins, and alot sturdier than the 4 plastic rivet type plugs
bertuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 22:03   #9
fuzzypicture

Default Alternative Fix

Quick tip, when my retaining spring broke I just placed a rare earth magnet on the flap. Holds it fine (2 years now). Have the replacement bits, but as the magnet works fine haven't bothered to fit it.

Joe
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 23:52   #10
willfromsussex

my flap on the V70 i just bought is barely staying shut, there is a wire spring thing at the hinge but its not attached , might be some broken plastic there, is it the same design as the S80? Anyone got a pic of how it should go together?

Last edited by willfromsussex; Dec 6th, 2010 at 01:01.
willfromsussex is offline   Reply With Quote