Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ohlins suspension

Views : 2653

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 21:13   #1
Harni

Default Ohlins suspension

Those of you with Polestar Engineered cars with the adjustable Ohlins suspension, have you played around with the settings at all?

I’m a month into ownership of my S60 PE and it’s very compliant but I do wonder what the other settings are like. Not sure about other models but the S60 is set at 6 out of 21 out of the factory at the front so relatively soft on the adjustment range. Has anyone dropped it to the softest for example and been happy with the increased comfort but lesser handling?
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:07   #2
smithsc

How you finding the car? Mines now due in June and looking forward to it.

Surely it’s worth having a play with the front suspension as it’s easy to do, as Jeremy Clarkson would say “how hard can it be”
smithsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:38   #3
Cull06
Master Member

I have it on its softest setting at the front. I find it handles suitably well… Not sure I would want it firmer with the state of the roads!

I think the rear are on a firmer setting. Haven’t checked tbh. Car needs to be jacked up to change the rears as I understand it (?)
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 07:35   #4
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsc View Post
How you finding the car? Mines now due in June and looking forward to it.

Surely it’s worth having a play with the front suspension as it’s easy to do, as Jeremy Clarkson would say “how hard can it be”
I’ve had mine a month now and whilst I realise it’s most likely still that new car phase, it’s by far the best car I have ever owned. I’ve come out of a MY20 XC60 and that was great but this is another level

I would say with the suspension it’s on the limit of what I would say is comfortable. I live in the Dorset countryside so as you can imagine the roads are quite poor but even with the constant pot holes and sunken drains, it’s comfortable and compliant.

My concern with just adjusting the fronts is would it handle in an odd way with the rears still at factory setting. May have to dust off the trolley jack and give it a go
The Following User Says Thank You to Harni For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 07:36   #5
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
I have it on its softest setting at the front. I find it handles suitably well… Not sure I would want it firmer with the state of the roads!

I think the rear are on a firmer setting. Haven’t checked tbh. Car needs to be jacked up to change the rears as I understand it (?)
Yes, adjustment on the rear is on the top of the shock absorber so needs jacking up.
Do you find any odd characteristics with the handling having the front on soft and the rears at factory setting?
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 09:58   #6
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harni View Post
Yes, adjustment on the rear is on the top of the shock absorber so needs jacking up.
Do you find any odd characteristics with the handling having the front on soft and the rears at factory setting?
I can’t say I have. Bearing in mind it’s an suv so I haven’t thrown it into corners like others cars I’ve had. Big torque steer which I understand is the norm in the t8.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:08   #7
sk546
Master Member

I have had my XC60 PE for just over 2 years now and have played about with the shock setting quite a few times to find a decent setting for how I like the ride and handling.
The difference between the hardest (fully clockwise or setting 1) and softest (21 clicks anti-clockwise from setting 1) is quite noticeable. Im currently running setting 6 front & rear (quite far on the stiffer settings) as I like the body control and damping this setting gives. I used to run setting 12-14 in winter (a much softer setting) as due to wet and cold road conditions, you cant push corner speeds as you can in summer but found it felt a bit too soft with less body control so have left it in setting 6 this winter.

As far as adjusting the rear dampers, on the V60 & S60, you do need to jack the rear up to access the adjuster on top of the shock. For the XC60, due to the increased ride height you can access the adjuster just fine without any jacking, you just need to remove the rubber cap on top of the shock which can be a little fiddly.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 10:30   #8
MCV60
Master Member

IMO it seems a faff and imagine the novelty will where off.

Surely it would be better to control the dampers through Sensus / driver settings? (similar to BMW M mode etc).

But considering Volvo have removed the driver mode select wheel. Nothing surprises me.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 21:31   #9
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
I have had my XC60 PE for just over 2 years now and have played about with the shock setting quite a few times to find a decent setting for how I like the ride and handling.
The difference between the hardest (fully clockwise or setting 1) and softest (21 clicks anti-clockwise from setting 1) is quite noticeable. Im currently running setting 6 front & rear (quite far on the stiffer settings) as I like the body control and damping this setting gives. I used to run setting 12-14 in winter (a much softer setting) as due to wet and cold road conditions, you cant push corner speeds as you can in summer but found it felt a bit too soft with less body control so have left it in setting 6 this winter.

As far as adjusting the rear dampers, on the V60 & S60, you do need to jack the rear up to access the adjuster on top of the shock. For the XC60, due to the increased ride height you can access the adjuster just fine without any jacking, you just need to remove the rubber cap on top of the shock which can be a little fiddly.
That’s really useful feedback. Since my initial post I’ve turned the fronts all the way to the softest setting and may do the same with the rears for the remainder of winter
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 21:31   #10
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
IMO it seems a faff and imagine the novelty will where off.

Surely it would be better to control the dampers through Sensus / driver settings? (similar to BMW M mode etc).

But considering Volvo have removed the driver mode select wheel. Nothing surprises me.
You also don’t get premium shocks like Ohlins on a BMW. That said, most drivers wouldn’t make the most of them anyway!