Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

head gasket life?

Views : 1859

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 21:02   #1
deeman940
Master Member

Default head gasket life?

i replaced the head gasket around 5 yrs ago shortly after i bought my 940. i used an Elring gasket with Elring bolts. It would appear it has gone again, is this normal? i would of expected to get a bit longer out of one but i know it is a known common issue...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 21:42   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I would say that is abnormal, 'deeman940'. We ran 240s, 740s and a 940 in period for many years and never had to replace a HG. I took my last 740 from 11 to 29 years old and from under 100 to over 170 thousand miles without removing the head.

What was the reason behind the need to replace yours? If the car overheated, it is possible that your head is warped, which, if not corrected at the time, could result in premature failure at a later date.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 22:52   #3
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I would say that is abnormal, 'deeman940'. We ran 240s, 740s and a 940 in period for many years and never had to replace a HG. I took my last 740 from 11 to 29 years old and from under 100 to over 170 thousand miles without removing the head.

What was the reason behind the need to replace yours? If the car overheated, it is possible that your head is warped, which, if not corrected at the time, could result in premature failure at a later date.

Regards, John.

i replaced it because it was leaking. i had the head skimmed when it was done....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 22:59   #4
griston64
Premier Member

What psi are you running ?

The problem isn't exactly the excess boost itself, but the heat and detonation caused by the boost. When you shove more air into the cylinder, you have to shove enough fuel in there to keep the proper fuel mixture. If you have more fuel than air, they mixture leans out and burns super hot. The heat can cause hot spots which lead to detonation and pre-ignition. The heat and shock forces from the detonation eat away at the head gasket causing the leak.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 23:30   #5
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
What psi are you running ?

The problem isn't exactly the excess boost itself, but the heat and detonation caused by the boost. When you shove more air into the cylinder, you have to shove enough fuel in there to keep the proper fuel mixture. If you have more fuel than air, they mixture leans out and burns super hot. The heat can cause hot spots which lead to detonation and pre-ignition. The heat and shock forces from the detonation eat away at the head gasket causing the leak.
my AFR's are bang on....shouldn't be a problem. 18psi 1.2 bar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:46   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

In my experience the original hg gives up at about 150k miles. I’ve not had a replacement fail yet. 1994 B200FT replaced at 145k miles in 2007 now on 278k. 1997 B230FK replaced at 157k miles in 2012 now on 227k.

Both still completely stock performance though.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 07:32   #7
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

You need to investigate and establish the cause of failure before you can draw any conclusions.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 07:49   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
i replaced the head gasket around 5 yrs ago shortly after i bought my 940. i used an Elring gasket with Elring bolts. It would appear it has gone again, is this normal? i would of expected to get a bit longer out of one but i know it is a known common issue...
Couple of questions Damo - did you clean out the threads in the block for the head bolts, did you renew the head bolts and lastly, did you retorque the head (by slackening each 1/4-1/2 turn then retorquing through entire procedure) after 600 miles when you retensioned the timing belt?

Any of those will compromise the life of the HG but there are a few other factors that can influence it. Also you may need to consider an uprated HG if you're running 18 psi of boost.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 08:40   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Couple of questions Damo - did you clean out the threads in the block for the head bolts, did you renew the head bolts and lastly, did you retorque the head (by slackening each 1/4-1/2 turn then retorquing through entire procedure) after 600 miles when you retensioned the timing belt?

Any of those will compromise the life of the HG but there are a few other factors that can influence it. Also you may need to consider an uprated HG if you're running 18 psi of boost.
The Elring gaskets should be fine Dave as the Overboosting guy has used them to 600bhp + on a Redblock

Damo did say he used Elring bolts as well so assume they were new at the time
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 08:57   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The Elring gaskets should be fine Dave as the Overboosting guy has used them to 600bhp + on a Redblock

Damo did say he used Elring bolts as well so assume they were new at the time
Thanks Mark - i looked twice but somehow still missed the bit about the bolts at the time, brain cell was still half asleep.

That leaves the other options i suggested then or perhaps the block needs decking.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote