Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 blond leather

Views : 1285

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 22:47   #1
tbb33

Default XC60 blond leather

Hello all,

I'm looking at replacing my current XC60 with a new XC60 B5P Core. Pretty much settled on Denim Blue and tempted by the blond leather.

What are people's experiences of keeping blond leather clean and looking as new, particularly if you wear jeans? It looks great but have a slight concern it may be a nightmare to keep in good nick. I'd probably try to get a deal on the paint/interior protection which I assume would help.
tbb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 23:17   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbb33 View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking at replacing my current XC60 with a new XC60 B5P Core. Pretty much settled on Denim Blue and tempted by the blond leather.

What are people's experiences of keeping blond leather clean and looking as new, particularly if you wear jeans? It looks great but have a slight concern it may be a nightmare to keep in good nick. I'd probably try to get a deal on the paint/interior protection which I assume would help.
My V60 has blond leather. I'm a low mileage user, and don't wear jeans. I haven't had any problems keeping it clean and in good nick. I use a proprietary leather cleaner occasionally which seems sufficient.
I much prefer the lighter interior. One courtesy car I had recently was another V60 with charcoal interior. I found that quite oppresive after the blond.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:10   #3
ThomasC91

I wish I had blonde leather.

I find leather annoying anyway trying to keep clean. Doesn't seem to matter what I clean it with there are always smears. I have dark leather in mine
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:25   #4
bornmiddleaged
:-)

When I've bought cars previously I've always avoided light coloured seats as I thought they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, however, 2.5 years and about 15,000 miles into ownership I am converted!
I only wear jeans occasionally but I do wear quite dark coloured cords and you can see some dye transfer from those after a couple of weeks of wearing, but as long as you give it a clean about once a month or so, it comes straight off.
I use the Dodojuice cleaner and sealer, which works for me. There are other threads on here about other products people use.

In reply to ThomasC91 I'm not sure how you're getting smearing, I've never had this. Sounds like you may be using some sort of cream based cleaner or "treatment". The leather in modern cars has a coating on top so if you are using something that says it will feed the leather, it won't be feeding the leather as the leather doesn't need feeding, all you are doing is smearing a greasy product on top of sealed.

Anyway, back to the question, go for the cream leather, it makes the interior much brighter and airier - I find my wife's car with dark fabric seats really dingy now.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:44   #5
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
When I've bought cars previously I've always avoided light coloured seats as I thought they'd be a nightmare to keep clean, however, 2.5 years and about 15,000 miles into ownership I am converted!
I only wear jeans occasionally but I do wear quite dark coloured cords and you can see some dye transfer from those after a couple of weeks of wearing, but as long as you give it a clean about once a month or so, it comes straight off.
I use the Dodojuice cleaner and sealer, which works for me. There are other threads on here about other products people use.

In reply to ThomasC91 I'm not sure how you're getting smearing, I've never had this. Sounds like you may be using some sort of cream based cleaner or "treatment". The leather in modern cars has a coating on top so if you are using something that says it will feed the leather, it won't be feeding the leather as the leather doesn't need feeding, all you are doing is smearing a greasy product on top of sealed.

Anyway, back to the question, go for the cream leather, it makes the interior much brighter and airier - I find my wife's car with dark fabric seats really dingy now.
I have Dr leather wipes and also use autoglym. Maybe I just need to go over again after with a damp cloth as it might be leaving residue behind. I think dark leather shows up water marks more.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 10:49   #6
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
I have Dr leather wipes and also use autoglym. Maybe I just need to go over again after with a damp cloth as it might be leaving residue behind. I think dark leather shows up water marks more.
Not seen the Dr Leather wipes but reading the blurb, looks like they should be fine.
Looking up Autoglym it looks like they have 2 products - a cleaner and a balm. is it definitely the cleaner you are using not the balm?

Yes, it might just be a case of a quick wipe with a slightly damp cloth once you're done.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 11:18   #7
Vinesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post

Agree on the DodoJuice Supernatural cleaner and sealer - good stuff. I have black leather but still good at getting the 'Sheen' off and doesn't leave residue - does need a dry wipe, after application.
Vinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:01   #8
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

I have had blond 'leather' in cars ( Jags, Mercs, Skoda and now Volvo) for years and no problems. As other have said, regular maintenance with an appropriate product for modern car leathers is the answer. Incidentally black leather needs the same sort of treatment tio keep it in good order.

I find cars with black leather feel very cramped inside and somehow less luxurious.

Volvo do carry a cleaner as an accesory but it is typically expensive compared to brands. I generally use Dr Leather wipes.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 17:32   #9
James77

Love the blond leather easy to keep clean even wearing jeans I too use Supernatural maybe once/twice a year even with kids in the back destroying the cabin no issue at all.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 21:30   #10
Lescal

Smile

I’ve got the blond leather and after 3 years and 50k miles it still looks good as new. I wear jeans every day, it’s never been cleaned and it’s had two young kids in it every day - I don’t think you need to worry overly much.

It does make the cabin so much brighter too.
Lescal is offline   Reply With Quote