Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Volvo V70 Estate - Diesel or Petrol?

Views : 1454

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2022, 04:46   #1
Tower Block

Default Which Volvo V70 Estate - Diesel or Petrol?

Hello Volvoists!

I'm wanting a Volvo V70 estate for long journeys and sleeping in so hopefully you'll be able to best advise me...

1) If my limited research is correct, all V70 models have the back seats which fold down without any lip? (So it's totally flat like a bed)

i) Is there any particular model which has more leg room ? (I'm 6"1)

2) Which engine is most reliable? I've read V70 2007-2016 models have numerous issues and some have been recalled. I really like the sound of 5 cylinder engines so hope these models are the most reliable!?

3) I assume Diesel is best for long journeys but could be wrong?

4) I assume most Volvo V70's are comfortable on long journeys?

5) Whats the most common flaw which dealers and sellers try to hide?

Thanks in advance

Ian
Tower Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 05:16   #2
sasdiscos

I had a 2019 v90.

Derv returned 50+mpg with a d4 engine.
Sublimely comfy and well built.

Steve.
sasdiscos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 06:31   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

1. My P3 does. IIRC my Dad's P2 did.

i. I'm 6'5" and fit comfortably in all the seats of a P3. The P2 is slightly tighter for rear leg room, but I stillmsat up back without being badly quashed.

2. The 5 cyclinder Volvo motors, petrol and diesel, are all pretty solid if cared for properly by a spanner jockey that knows what they're doing. The 4 cylinder PSA/Ford diesels in the P3 rather less so.

3. In my experience the D5 is excellent for long journeys, and the more powerful variants on the later cars are quite punchy too. I see no reason why the petrol units wouldn't be so, but have no direct experience.

4. The P3 is perhaps the most comfortable, nicely damped, best riding cars I've been in for a long time. The P2 doesn't ride quite as well, but has typically excelent Volvo seats and is a very comfortable place to be.

5. Most of the stuff I found has been due to a previous owner trying to run a P3 on the cheap, stuff like budget tires, etc - the later higher spec models were 40+ grand cars, but people sometimes try to run them on a shoesting. Not found anything yet really fundamental to the car itself yet on mine. P3 cars can suffer leaking windscreens and I've found evidence thst mine has been resealed in the past.

My Dad has been thepugh 2 x P2's, both petrol 170's, both went to about 120k miles before leaving him, no problems whatsoever beyond the usual wear and tear stuff like brakes, tyres, etc. However, be aware that the earliest P2's are now 2 decades old so age may be taking its toll rather than any inherent fault or flaws.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jan 13th, 2022 at 07:04.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 09:11   #4
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Tower Block

Are you using it for commuting, load carrying, family transport or sleeping in, or all of the above?

When you mention "sleeping in" is that just occasionally eg on holidays/trips or is it a major purpose?

Are you using it for very long distance trips (round the world), or just UK commuting etc?

What sort of annual mileage?

UK or abroad?

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 15:05   #5
volvo again
Master Member

I had a p2 v70 which developed an auto box problem, wouldn't reverse uphill, on the flat it was fine, various tests couldn't find a problem so it went...
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 02:28   #6
Tower Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Tower Block

Are you using it for commuting, load carrying, family transport or sleeping in, or all of the above?

When you mention "sleeping in" is that just occasionally eg on holidays/trips or is it a major purpose?

Are you using it for very long distance trips (round the world), or just UK commuting etc?

What sort of annual mileage?

UK or abroad?

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I live in Sheffield and hopefully late this winter / early spring I'm planning on touring Scotland. So I will have a fairly long journey to Scotland and I will mostly be sleeping in the car.

I currently have around £2,000 saved. After looking around though think I'll possibly have to save or borrow more money.

My current car is a boring thirsty petrol Vauxhall Vectra hatchback, I currently do around 6,000 miles per year. The Vectra is only a 1.8 litre but I'm only getting around 30 mpg. So if any particular Volvo V70 models do better mileage I would also use it for commuting.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 02:30   #7
Tower Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
1. My P3 does. IIRC my Dad's P2 did.

i. I'm 6'5" and fit comfortably in all the seats of a P3. The P2 is slightly tighter for rear leg room, but I stillmsat up back without being badly quashed.

2. The 5 cyclinder Volvo motors, petrol and diesel, are all pretty solid if cared for properly by a spanner jockey that knows what they're doing. The 4 cylinder PSA/Ford diesels in the P3 rather less so.

3. In my experience the D5 is excellent for long journeys, and the more powerful variants on the later cars are quite punchy too. I see no reason why the petrol units wouldn't be so, but have no direct experience.

4. The P3 is perhaps the most comfortable, nicely damped, best riding cars I've been in for a long time. The P2 doesn't ride quite as well, but has typically excelent Volvo seats and is a very comfortable place to be.

5. Most of the stuff I found has been due to a previous owner trying to run a P3 on the cheap, stuff like budget tires, etc - the later higher spec models were 40+ grand cars, but people sometimes try to run them on a shoesting. Not found anything yet really fundamental to the car itself yet on mine. P3 cars can suffer leaking windscreens and I've found evidence thst mine has been resealed in the past.

My Dad has been thepugh 2 x P2's, both petrol 170's, both went to about 120k miles before leaving him, no problems whatsoever beyond the usual wear and tear stuff like brakes, tyres, etc. However, be aware that the earliest P2's are now 2 decades old so age may be taking its toll rather than any inherent fault or flaws.

Best of luck.
Thanks Familyman that is most useful.

i) Have you ever slept in P2 of 3's? If so how'd you find it?
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:23   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Never slept in a P2 or P3, I have to say. I've slept in an Astra estate, and at 6'5" I had a comfortable enough night, so the larger Volvo would surely be better.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 08:31   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Not sure what ths thread is doing in the P80 section. The OP looks to V70 2007-2016 models. Eh? However....

Diesel or Petrol?
Don't be daft. neither. CNG. If it's cost per mile you're after, and it must be or you'd not ask the question. If the aim is long-game high-mile use methane is unbeatable. Very rare cars these days, Volvo made the first factory fits. It's not that you'll see anymore than 30ish on petrol, it's that you fill for 20% of the price.

Thus on that logic 50mpg - via a diesel - is either good or truly dreadful. As our Tesla brethren, Homefill. The rub, and there's always a rub with alternative fuels:

1) The learning curve is vastly steep.
2) The RHD cars are the rarest Volvos in the world. (not that this makes them valuable). Most are ex UK press-fleet cars.
3) The set-up costs are near a very decent used car.
4) You won't be sleeping in your V70, the space is required for the factory tank. You can afford a B&B/Hotel when you get there.
5) You need to drive it. If you run 'big girl's blouse miles', likely not viable.
6) If you lack self-belief, and spend your money on registration plates, this is not for you - you won't like the choices.
7) There is no 'served on a platter' set-up.
8) Angelina Jolie will have you down as some kind of nut-job, and she won't be seen dead in it.
9) You'll struggle to insure anything that's not factory-fit.

The upside, the fanbois will still consider you a dinosaur, yet you'll absolutely THRASH any Prius/ Tesla champagne-drinking Guardian reader for range and cost per mile. These car 'if looked after' do galactic miles. I threw my last one away at 420K, it had more in it, and looked like a shed. I found a very tidy ex British Gas management example for £1500 thus swapped. 600K is not unheard of.

For a multitude of reasons, mostly electronics/spares prices and corrosion, it's doubtful anything made after 2005 will last anything near that. Thus 2007-2016 models, why worry? You're tacitly agreed to throw it away anyway.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 14th, 2022 at 09:54.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:13   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

For me personally, as much as I love my Volvo if I had a budget of 2k I would be looking elsewhere.

For a Volvo that’s pretty tight and unlikely to get you anything modern. Granted you will have a quality vehicle that will last a long time however.

I would personally go for a Ford mondeo estate. They are totally unloved and can be picked up for chips. That said they are huge, you can sleep in them east (I wouldn’t but each to their own) and when anything goes wrong (they are generally reliable) the scrap yards will be stuffed full of them with very very cheap parts.

Just an outside thought.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: