Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SRS Airbag Service Urgent

Views : 4058

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:40   #1
MartyButler

Default SRS Airbag Service Urgent

My Volvo 2011 XC90 2.4D AWD automatic has the following message on the DIM.
"SRS Airbag Service Urgent"

The reason why it popped up was when I went to change the internal cabin temp sensor (in behind the 3 slots on the CCM) I switched on the ignition so that I could move the gearstick out of the way of the CCM.
Now I have a working cabin temp sensor but every time I switch on the ignition I have "SRS Airbag Service Urgent" and even after you press the "Read" button on the stack the Yellow Triangle stays on in the middle of the dash.

This is were it gets interesting, I have an old laptop that I bought years ago with Vida loaded on it and the dice which has always worked fine for me. When I scan the car the fault code that comes up for it is "SRS-E003 Configuration Fault Faulty Configuration" when I go to fault trace it it doesn't say much except for configuration ID's and open circuits. The open circuits I checked and ruled out but the ID's I can't do much about. When I look at the timeline of the fault (Vida) it is telling me that the fault isn't active and that there has now being over 300 starts/cycles since the one time that the fault appeared.
My problem is Vida isn't clearing the fault and to be honest I don't know if it is because it's not able too or is it because Vida is looking for an "eUpdate".

Any help or suggestions that people might have will be greatly appreciated.
MartyButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 17:32   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, i had exact problem on an earlier v70. I eventually sourced a second hand srs ecu off the 'bay', but if you have to resort to this beware.

You need one with exactly the same part number. In any case the socket is paired to the cable and a dissimilar part number item cannot be plugged in.

It was plug and play and no configuration needed.

Hope this helps.

John l
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 23:01   #3
MartyButler

Another thing that I did try was a "Hard Reset" where you take the leads off the battery and join them together.
I tried this twice, the 2nd time I cabled tied the 2 leads together left them over night but this did nothing to be honest the only thing it did was put the clock to 00:00 I didn't even lose the pre-set radio stations

NB: As a side note they recommend that when you are reconnecting the battery you should put the ignition key into the II position this is suppose to lessen the chances of the air bags going off... also means you will not be in the driver seat if it does go off
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 09:33   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Have you found the ecu and what is part number?

Cheers
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:03   #5
MartyButler

I'm not long in from work but I'll check it out first in the morning.

Last edited by MartyButler; Jan 7th, 2022 at 22:30.
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 20:55   #6
MartyButler

Finally got the car from the wife and the details of the SRS module fitted to the car are as follows:
Volvo Part number: P31295112
Bosch Part number: 0 285 010 729

So if anyone knows were one is for sale or where to get it refurbished please let me know, I've uploaded a photo as well.

Just for anyone that might be interested the SRS module is located under the centre console, directly under the cupholders to be honest so the handiest way to get at it was to take the centre console out.
Unclip the side panels off the centre console, slide off the back section of the centre console, when you have this off pry up the cover that is now exposed, when this cover is off you will now see the 2 screws at the back that have to be opened (T25) + also the electrical connector block that has to be unclipped from the centre console to allow it to be lifted out.
At the front of the centre console pry up the cover around the gearstick (auto) and then push through the centre section so that the outer frame comes away, you will now be looking at the 2 front screws (T25) that need to be removed.
When you have the 4 screws + the connector block removed you can now lift the centre console up + towards the windscreen this arc movement pivoting where the front screws were made it easier to get around the automatic gearstick for me.
The SRS module is covered by a black rubber boat.

If you are going to be disconnecting the SRS module make sure that you disconnect the battery for and hour before hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRSModule.JPG (66.3 KB, 26 views)
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 21:18   #7
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I had this issue on our old XC90 when the clock spring went and the number of cycles went over 300. After reading around and trying all of the above to no luck I found a post on sweedspeed where some had this issue and they got the software reloaded onto the module. With nothing to loose I approached our local Volvo dealer who was willing to try it at my risk. This worked and had no side effects.
it does seem that the modules can not record so many instances of an error before they permanently lock in to error mode. I will admit I did leave mine a long time as it started off only happening at full lock and only tried to sort it once it became permeant.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 10:55   #8
MartyButler

Just a quick update.

I'm after ordering a 2nd hand SRS module with the same part number (P31295112) that is suppose to be from a uncrashed car and is fault free, so as soon as that arrives I'll fit it to my car and we'll see what happens.
Fingers crossed
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 13:38   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyButler View Post
Just a quick update.

I'm after ordering a 2nd hand SRS module with the same part number (P31295112) that is suppose to be from a uncrashed car and is fault free, so as soon as that arrives I'll fit it to my car and we'll see what happens.
Fingers crossed
Wouldn't it just be easier and more reliable to get it reset by a volvo dealer?
you noticed the label on the unit saying " This unit contains vehicle specific Data " or words to that effect?
I have seen all this before and by the time you have sorted it the cost is double what the dealer would have charged ..
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 17:25   #10
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, there are three on uk ebay at the mo.

I was lucky and got a new one for mine fr someone on ebay who had purchased it but was never used, bitt it had to be programmed by local Volvo dealer.

Worked fine since.

The problem with my old srs unit was 'ecu internal fault' or some sort and could not be reset. I sent it to a company in the north who promised to reset iy and they sent me a message saying the could not clear the error and it was promptly lost in the post!

But I had taken a photo and had full detail of the old one.

I believe that some of your car options are programmed into the unit, so hopefully you are lucky and the recipient car has same options.

Good luck!

Last edited by john langrick; Jan 16th, 2022 at 17:37.