Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Auto No Drive - Diagnosing 2007

Views : 11482

Replies : 224

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2021, 20:10   #21
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber View Post
That MOT fail is for a CV boot, obviously could mean the joint is knackered too but to lose complete drive because of it seems unlikely. If you snapped both driveshafts far enough, but that again seems very unlikely and will A) Be very obvious to visual inspection and B) make a hell of a racket when you select drive or reverse!
It doesn't take two busted shafts - On a typical open diff a broken shaft, or similar mechanical reason for loss of drive, on one side will lead to loss of drive on the other.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 20:59   #22
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
I cant see any other way of not installing a driveshaft properly unless you didn't get either end in the gearbox or hub splines, in which case it would be obvious visually and again make a racket.
but to replace a gaiter, unless you use the stretch ones with the cone fitting kit, you have to dismantle the CV.. also when pulling it out of the gearbox sometimes the CV comes apart.. therefore if reassembled badly is it possible something in the CV is broken or incorrectly fitted, and is just spinning uselessly?

OP hasn't seen the car himself yet so maybe it IS making horrible noises, it hasn't been confirmed either way on here

then again maybe I'm totally wrong and the reason they didn't sort the gaiter and re-test it is because they suddenly had a massive gearbox failure on the way home from the MOT

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 05:49   #23
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
That MOT fail is for a CV boot, obviously could mean the joint is knackered too but to lose complete drive because of it seems unlikely. If you snapped both driveshafts far enough, but that again seems very unlikely and will A) Be very obvious to visual inspection and B) make a hell of a racket when you select drive or reverse!
I had a Vauxhall Cavalier that lost drive whist driving, no noise's when selecting any gear.
Turned out that one of the driveshafts had "popped out" slightly from the box. Wasn't obvious on first inspection but you live and learn. Could be an easy fix.

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 08:28   #24
Willber

True - all fair points! From my experience of changing voth driveshafts; the driver side cant pop out of the gearbox if it has been installed properly, and to not install it properly you would have to not bolt up the bearing properly. The passenger side someone might have thought they popped in with the circlip, but they can be a pain so possibly not.
Either way, hopefully it is a simple fix and not the gearbox dead.
Willber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 18:34   #25
bluebossa

Default Update from Seller...

Quote:
True - all fair points! From my experience of changing voth driveshafts; the driver side cant pop out of the gearbox if it has been installed properly, and to not install it properly you would have to not bolt up the bearing properly. The passenger side someone might have thought they popped in with the circlip, but they can be a pain so possibly not.
Either way, hopefully it is a simple fix and not the gearbox dead.
Thanks Willber, just to update you and everyone that has kindly responded I've spoken to the Seller earlier today and it should be on it's way to me tomorrow to diagnose...

Seller said he bought it 3 years ago as tow car and it was working fine, then one day it just stopped no drive? He has no idea what it could be but points towards Auto box, though did say it could even be electrical...

A voyage of discovery and a Christmas Mystery... needs a Battery and I guess I'll stick the code reader on it first to see what that shows up...

Updates as I get them.... another picture here, the money shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side.jpg (230.6 KB, 20 views)
Previous - XC90 V8 Executive, V70 P1, S90 Inscription
bluebossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 19:33   #26
john493
Spannering since birth

That's a 2007 model with indicator repeaters in the mirrors instead of in the front wing.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 22:08   #27
abdiel
VOC Member

I think I read somewhere that an ABS fault, possibly a broken or damaged reluctor ring on a driveshaft or possibly a speed sensor can flag up a code in the ECU that makes the system think the car has faulty brakes & wont allow the transmission to engage drive?
If this turns out to be drivel, please excuse me. I hope it turns out to be a simple fix & a cheap one too! The car looks really nice from that photo you posted.
Regards, Phil.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 01:08   #28
bluebossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
That's a 2007 model with indicator repeaters in the mirrors instead of in the front wing.
Cheers, indeed it is 2007... thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 01:09   #29
bluebossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
I think I read somewhere that an ABS fault, possibly a broken or damaged reluctor ring on a driveshaft or possibly a speed sensor can flag up a code in the ECU that makes the system think the car has faulty brakes & wont allow the transmission to engage drive?
If this turns out to be drivel, please excuse me. I hope it turns out to be a simple fix & a cheap one too! The car looks really nice from that photo you posted.
Regards, Phil.
Thanks Phil - first thing after a fresh Battery will be to plug in my code reader and see what it throws up - will post... here's a hoping...

Boxes range from £150 to £1,000 plus fitting... which is worse case, will try a few other things first and see if I can convince it to move.... stay tuned...
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 17:58   #30
bluebossa

Default Engine is as sweet as a nut, no gears engage though

So it arrived this afternoon. I fitted a fresh battery and gave it a bit of a wash and it fired up first twist of the key. Engine sounds sweet.

My cheapo Chinese code reader wouldn't connect so foiled there already.
When sitting there none of the gears engage, not even a clunk all the way through Park to D and through into Manual - it just sits there with a diesel rumble..

Dash says "Engine Service Required" and something about a Soot filter.
Picture of it attached as of today...

It stands me £1,100 now including new Battery and Delivery, so I have some headroom to get it fixed and could make a nice old bus.

Overall condition it OK, very straight, front bumper paint naff, interior good, Engine sound, Towbar, Leather all good, Wheels all need a refurb and Tyres probably need replacing. Not checked underneath as yet... It's a 57 plate so last of the P2s I think. Tinted factory windows the only option I can see.

So options are - buy a better Code reader, get a Volvo independent to recover it and diagnose - then fix... what say ye, what do you think so far?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedOn Arrival_LI.jpg (182.6 KB, 7 views)