Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Van HD tyres.

Views : 1334

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 11:56   #1
Moomoo
VOC Member

Default Van HD tyres.

Any problems with fitting van tyres on a a 245?
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:22   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Any problems with fitting van tyres on a a 245?
I'm assuming you mean the 6 - ply reinforced variety, 'Moomoo'. I had a pair on the back of my 'S' reg 245 many years ago without any adverse issues. I was carrying a fair bit of weight around in those days and they coped very well, but the ride could be a little hard when running unladen.

Although I never tried, I don't think that I would fit them on the front. My 'gut' tells me that they would upset the suspension and steering characteristics.

If you do run different tyres front to rear you will need to consider what spare(s) (if any) to carry and also any insurance implications.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:29   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Not sure what's so special about 'van' tyres?

Can't you simply look at the tyre ratings and check that they meet the vehicle requirements?
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:29   #4
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm assuming you mean the 6 - ply reinforced variety, 'Moomoo'. I had a pair on the back of my 'S' reg 245 many years ago without any adverse issues. I was carrying a fair bit of weight around in those days and they coped very well, but the ride could be a little hard when running unladen.

Although I never tried, I don't think that I would fit them on the front. My 'gut' tells me that they would upset the suspension and steering characteristics.

If you do run different tyres front to rear you will need to consider what spare(s) (if any) to carry and also any insurance implications.

Regards, John.

Thanks for that John, you make good points. I just spotted some 185x14 van tyres which were new and cheap!

I can't help being a cheapskate!

Andrew.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:42   #5
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Not sure what's so special about 'van' tyres?

Can't you simply look at the tyre ratings and check that they meet the vehicle requirements?
I'm sure a set of four would be fine, why not. I should have said that my idea was to just fit two because I could buy some cheaply. Mixing them in these litigious times may not be worth it!

Years ago , black, round and size were the governing criteria , weren't they!
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:48   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I'm sure a set of four would be fine, why not. I should have said that my idea was to just fit two because I could buy some cheaply. Mixing them in these litigious times may not be worth it!

Years ago , black, round and size were the governing criteria , weren't they!
But you're allowed to mix tyres! General advice though is to match tyres on the same axle and to put the best/grippiest pair on the rear.

I still don't get what's different about what you're calling 'van tyres'... is it a higher sidewall profile? Is it a lower speed rating? If so then fitting the wrong spec could be dangerous, or might at least cause MoT or insurance issues.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 12:58   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
But you're allowed to mix tyres! General advice though is to match tyres on the same axle and to put the best/grippiest pair on the rear.

I still don't get what's different about what you're calling 'van tyres'... is it a higher sidewall profile? Is it a lower speed rating? If so then fitting the wrong spec could be dangerous, or might at least cause MoT or insurance issues.
By van tyres I just mean those one fit on a caravan, trailer or a van. Higher weight rating , if you will, that sort.
I'm not singling out "van" tyres as some special thing. Very often carry a C on the sidewall.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:20   #8
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It's fine. They're stiffer and less grippy so expect a reduction in handling and braking performance. So like a new or 15 year old pirelli p6000 tyre.

Doubt you would notice in a 240.

Think they also have a Q speed rating which is 100 mph? Check with your insurers if it's ok, if you're one of those who does such things.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:40   #9
CosmicBike

Van tyres, normally notable by the 'XL' on most tyre company sites. Reinforced sidewalls to cope with higher loads. I had them on my VW T5 which weighed in at 2800kg. I would not fit them on my 240 which weighs far less than half that, though my current spare is a 'van' tyre as the previous owner needed something in a hurry.
Camper tyres are another variation and tend to be more compliant, I have them on the new motorhome.
Trouble with the 14" rims is getting decent, branded tyres in the right sidewall ratio nowadays, most will only hold then in XL form.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 15:43   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Van tyres are van tyres. Car tyres are car tyres. Vans are designed to carry heavy loads not comfortable ride and fast cornering. The MOT man might also agree with me. You won't like the van tyres and the difference in price at the budget end of the market is negligible.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: