Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 strip lights by the grille

Views : 2758

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2022, 22:43   #31
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Are the orange side marker bulbs in the headlight working?

They are wired in series with the front marker lights and if the bulb fails then the marker light also goes out.
Yes, they're all fine, that was suggested earlier and I checked and double checked.
Appreciate your suggestion though
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 07:41   #32
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
hi all,
first off apologies if my questions seem a bit dumb!
Does anyone know how to take out the drls either side of the grille or know where the wiring runs and is there a multi plug on the end?
As per my other threads mine are not working, all the other lights are fine. I'm not use to these modern volvos, i also don't have much room to do any work on it

any advice, guidance, ideas or comments would be very much appreciated as i'm trying to keep the costs down. I'm even thinking of buying my old rover 75 back!!!!

Thanks in advance,
martyn
Two piccies that may be helpful. It looks as if the lights are held at the top with a pin and at the bottom by a screw possibly or another one of those pins.
Have you taken the headlight unit out yet? If I remember correctly they are easy to remove, just take out one or two pins and they will pull out and then disconnect the plugs, the manual will show you how.You may then get a clearer picture and easier access to how they are retained.
Have you checked the fuses? Have a look at fuse No.28 in the engine compartment, I seem to remember something about that fuse, it's marked for Auxiliary Lamps which you won't have but if the fuse is there it may be for the lights and if blown may explain why they both don't work.

31278557Z.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 09:25   #33
Squire

Wink

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your post. I had the headlights out yesterday and from what I could see drls are, I think are fixed in as you suggest, on a peg, like the headlights and a torx screw at the bottom. Access to the "screw" looks very limited, it may be that the bottom of the bumper has to be released and pulled forward but tbh I didn't have enough time to have a good look. The wiring would have to traced as it's held in place by a fixed tie wrap, which would have to be carefully cut, it then seems to disappear off to the outside somewhere out of sight, may have to pull back the lower section of the splash guard to see.

It's been suggested that there is a multi plug behind the guard that can get dirty to check but in one of your pics it looks like it has its own plug for power and earth. I have not looked in the fuse box for fuse 28, but will do first as that's easy lol. However it's been suggested that a blown/missing fuse would put other lights out too! But maybe not🤔!? Update no fuse 28, made no difference with fuse in

I got this Volvo in the hope that, apart from routine servicing, I could just drive it lol, as I have enough to do maintaining 2 Morris Minors and MGB GT, the Rover was also demanding more attention so I decided to move it on. I like the V60 very much but not some of the stupid electrical gimmicks eg low battery light coming on and shutting the radio down, the battery is fine 12.5 v after standing overnight, charging fine, bm hack of running engine and disconnecting the plug off the battery for 10-15 seconds did not work.
It's a whole new learning curve and I don't like steep hills lol, but I don't have much choice with out being £££s out of pocket and my pension doesn't like it nor my wife

Martyn

Last edited by Squire; Jan 10th, 2022 at 11:35.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squire For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 12:18   #34
Deck1ng
Master Member

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the two holes left after the lamps have been removed?
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 15:49   #35
Squire

Wink Trying to find the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the two holes left after the lamps have been removed?
The intention is to find out why they are not working, have the lights have just packed up or is there no power getting to them? I don't know the answer which is why I'm asking for help and advice, I'm grateful to all that have given advice but it seems there is no easy/simple answer.
If it's possible to get the lights out relatively easily I would like to connect 12v to them to see if they light and also check that there is power going to wherever they plug in.
It's been asked if the orange marker eyebrows light up, I have confirmed that they do. I'm not good with modern wiring but if they are connected in series why does the reverse not happen? ie: drl led fails why does the eyebrow still light up.

I'm struggling to believe that I'm the only person that has had this problem tbh, I'm willing to get replacement lights, pattern parts are available but would prefer to stay with oem.
At the end of the day I would like to get the car back to how it should be rather than risk a MOT failure because two drls are out even though I'm not a fan of drls. What ever the reason is will probably help someone else out.

Thanks again to all that offered advice etc and if there anymore ideas I'd be grateful, I really don't want to pay out for new lights until I've found out they're needed hence I need to know how best to get them out.

Many thanks to all

Martyn

Last edited by Squire; Jan 10th, 2022 at 15:54. Reason: Addition
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 17:18   #36
Squire

Smile At last, success

As the title says I've had success with the drls. Having had plenty of suggestions which I've been grateful of I would like to thank Rocinante and muffking for putting me on the right track.
Yesterday, 12th Jan, I had chance to pull back the offside wheel arch splash guard, and sure enough the big multi plug was disconnected. By the look of it it had been disconnected for some time, not having any electrical contract cleaner I squirted WD40 on it and plugged it together several times but no joy so had to leave it for another day.
Today, 13th Jan, I had more time, so set about bumper removal and wire tracing, checking the drls showed they were OK, so I tried a real good clean up of the multi plug. I spent nearly an hour trying to clean the pins with WD40 and repeated plugging and unplugging finally payed dividends with plenty of vaseline on the plug the lights finally worked. Someone in the past must have unplugged it as there's no way it could have just separated!
I will say I did not realise how brutal you have to be getting the bumper prised away and it was not easy getting it back either, but have at least learnt something lol 😉.
Once again thanks to all and especially the two forum members I mentioned earlier.
It's a pity there's not a "how to" section on here but I guess there's too many variants for it to be possible.

Martyn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Squire For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 22:49   #37
Deck1ng
Master Member

Could you have done the job without removing the bumper?
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 23:18   #38
Squire

Most likely, but there was more room with the bumper off/dropped plus I've learnt something if I ever need to do it again. The main thing is the problem is solved.
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:12   #39
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
It's a pity there's not a "how to" section on here but I guess there's too many variants for it to be possible.

Martyn
There is but not many entries
Attached Images
File Type: png How to.PNG (29.5 KB, 10 views)
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:45   #40
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
There is but not many entries
I never noticed that lol, should have gone to Specsavers lol.