Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 strip lights by the grille

Views : 2755

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 10:03   #1
Squire

Question V60 strip lights by the grille

Now this might seem like a stupid question, so please forgive me!
I've just acquired a V60 Lux D4 SE Lux Nav, I've noticed that it has what look like led strip lights either side of the grille. My question is, how do you get them to work? There's nothing in the manual about them and I've found nothing on this forum. My assumption is that they are not used as the bi-xenons act as day running lights so these strip lights are just for show.

If someone could clarify this I'd appreciate it as it's bugging me lol, sad I know but that's me

Thanks, Martyn
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 10:38   #2
jasmith44
jasmith44

I think they are parking lights but they are on when ignition is on.They are hard to see in daylight so if you can't see them turn ignition off and look you will see the difference.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 10:50   #3
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
I think they are parking lights but they are on when ignition is on.They are hard to see in daylight so if you can't see them turn ignition off and look you will see the difference.
Thanks, but that doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid. Surely parking lights should work with ignition off? The only lights that stay on with ignition off are the side lights.
I will check and try what you say though.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 11:32   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Now this might seem like a stupid question, so please forgive me!
I've just acquired a V60 Lux D4 SE Lux Nav, I've noticed that it has what look like led strip lights either side of the grille. My question is, how do you get them to work? There's nothing in the manual about them and I've found nothing on this forum. My assumption is that they are not used as the bi-xenons act as day running lights so these strip lights are just for show.

If someone could clarify this I'd appreciate it as it's bugging me lol, sad I know but that's me

Thanks, Martyn
Quote:
Thanks, but that doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid. Surely parking lights should work with ignition off? The only lights that stay on with ignition off are the side lights.
I will check and try what you say though.
They are Parking/Position Lamps. If I recall correctly, from when I had my S60 when the lighting switch is in the centre position and the ignition is off the Parking Lights are on together with the number plate lights, additionally if you open the boot the rear lights come on to warn approaching traffic. When you turn on the ignition or start the engine the dipped beams come on and the parking lights dim down.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 11:50   #5
jasmith44
jasmith44

I forgot to mention about turning the switch to parking mode.
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 11:57   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

Their use is a bit vague. I think they are described as 'position or marker' lamps, as said by Mike, but in all honesty I think they are for decoration and the headlight unit covers the actual lighting functions, as they are not that bright. I can't remember what settings they should come on with, but they definitely should light up.

Without checking, I can't remember when they come on exactly, but I think they come on with the rest of the lights. If they aren't working in any configuration, check you don't have a blown side marker bulb as apparently this disables the LEDs.

See:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215772
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 12:08   #7
Squire

Red face

Thanks for the replies, I've just been out to the car and the parking/position lights are amber/orange led in the headlights.
Maybe I didn't clarify myself properly, the lights I refer to are either side of the grille, between the grille and headlights. Two strip led's per light running up almost vertically in the position already mentioned. It's bugging me so much lol.
Anymore ideas/answers gratefully accepted before I go mad .

Martyn
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 12:48   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

S1050326.jpg

S1050331.jpg

S1050325.jpg

As I mentioned before the 'strip' lights are Park/Positon Lamps. In the piccie the dipped beams are on and the engine is running so the lights you refer to are dimmed down. Not sure if your headlight arrangement is the same but the orange strip at the top of the main unit was called side marker lights in Volvo speak, the rear lights also had a small section which would show the side profile of the car in the dark.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Nov 24th, 2021 at 13:08.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 12:58   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I've just been out to the car and the parking/position lights are amber/orange led in the headlights.
Maybe I didn't clarify myself properly, the lights I refer to are either side of the grille, between the grille and headlights. Two strip led's per light running up almost vertically in the position already mentioned. It's bugging me so much lol.
Anymore ideas/answers gratefully accepted before I go mad .

Martyn
I believe we are all talking about the same lights. As I said, their actual use is a bit vague, and I think they are mainly for decoration but should definitely light up, but can't remember under which particular settings.

I'm talking about these ones:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153048784421

As per my previous post, if they aren't lighting up under any circumstance, I would refer you back to my previous thread link, for possibly some help diagnosing them.

Last edited by Rocinante; Nov 24th, 2021 at 13:04.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 13:24   #10
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Attachment 138730

Attachment 138731

Attachment 138732

As I mentioned before the 'strip' lights are Park/Positon Lamps. In the piccie the dipped beams are on and the engine is running so the lights you refer to are dimmed down. Not sure if your headlight arrangement is the same but the orange strip at the top of the main unit was called side marker lights in Volvo speak, the rear lights also had a small section which would show the side profile of the car in the dark.
Untitled.jpeg

May be useful.