Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I've just joined the (operational) 940 owners club!

Views : 7566

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2021, 01:24   #21
Badger vs Bodgers

Oh and something I've found, a bit random - she didn't like starting when her front was up on the ramps. Apart from that the hot-start issue also appears to have mostly gone, which is good. Just a bit weird. My cars don't usually fix themselves!
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:45   #22
GingerMagic

Well done, keep up the good work.

Like you, I'm slowly learning my Volvo's 'quirks' which are similar to yours - most of which I'm happy to experiment and learn about....

The next job I need to do is to fit the MBC when it arrives, but in the meantime please tell me how to disconnect that seatbelt warning - it's doing my head in..!!

Good luck with the rest of the project, let's hope all the other issues fix themselves too.

Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:59   #23
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Well done, keep up the good work.

Like you, I'm slowly learning my Volvo's 'quirks' which are similar to yours - most of which I'm happy to experiment and learn about....

The next job I need to do is to fit the MBC when it arrives, but in the meantime please tell me how to disconnect that seatbelt warning - it's doing my head in..!!

Good luck with the rest of the project, let's hope all the other issues fix themselves too.

Kelv
There's a little bit of trim at the front of the right-hand seat runner that can be removed with a torx bit to reveal two connectors- one for the heaters and the smaller one for the alarm. I just disconnected the alarm and put everything back
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 09:55   #24
kiloran

Re the coolant loss, bear in mind that HG failures don't always end up mixing oil and water. Mine went above the water pump (2l NA B200F) and there was none of the usual evidence or warning signs. Gasket was intact except at that corner. When it finally let go the hole was so big I could burp coolant through it by burping the bottom hose.
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 11:44   #25
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Re the coolant loss, bear in mind that HG failures don't always end up mixing oil and water. Mine went above the water pump (2l NA B200F) and there was none of the usual evidence or warning signs. Gasket was intact except at that corner. When it finally let go the hole was so big I could burp coolant through it by burping the bottom hose.
Aye, it's worth keeping in mind at least. At this point I've just gotta monitor it, if it comes to needing to replace it then I can probably get the head of the spare engine skimmed and rebuild it so I've got a swap-on replacement if and when it goes

Provided it doesn't take anything else with it, of course.
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 07:53   #26
Badger vs Bodgers

Only a minor update at the moment - I've been driving it around locally, and it doesn't seem to have lost any more water. The only thing I can think of is that something opened up when cruising for a long period of time due to heat soak... Seems a bit of a reach though.

There is a fair amount of steam coming out of the exhaust even when warm - though it is very cold, so not sure how much is usual for these. Fuel economy seems fairly low - at a guess right now I'd say it's not much above 20MPG.

This weekend I'm planning on addressing the next most urgent thing - changing the fuel pump! It's making a lot of noise now and giving me a headache. New Bosch pump on order, new tank O-ring from FRF and replacement clips and filter. The filter may be unnecessary, but I figure if the pump's breaking up it's probably best to get rid.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 21:29   #27
Badger vs Bodgers

Fuel pump is done! I went for a straight Bosch replacement, and apart from having to alter the connectors it fit straight it.

Unlike the sender unit... it must have taken me a good hour faffing around trying to get it sitting right in the tank and on the seal! But it's all done now, and I no longer have that "helicopter in the distance" sound effect when sitting at idle.

Of course now I can hear other things, which will probably lead to more items on the "fix" list!

Coolant was down halfway when I checked this afternoon. The fact it's not losing it at constant rate gives me hope it's not HG, but not sure what it could be. Doesn't seem to be dropping it, and not got wet carpets... it has to be going somewhere though!
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 21:58   #28
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger vs Bodgers View Post
Fuel pump is done! I went for a straight Bosch replacement, and apart from having to alter the connectors it fit straight it.

Unlike the sender unit... it must have taken me a good hour faffing around trying to get it sitting right in the tank and on the seal! But it's all done now, and I no longer have that "helicopter in the distance" sound effect when sitting at idle.

Of course now I can hear other things, which will probably lead to more items on the "fix" list!

Coolant was down halfway when I checked this afternoon. The fact it's not losing it at constant rate gives me hope it's not HG, but not sure what it could be. Doesn't seem to be dropping it, and not got wet carpets... it has to be going somewhere though!
oil cooler pipes near oil filter leaking?

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 22:19   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger vs Bodgers View Post

Good news on the fuel pump!

Bit baffled by what you say about the coolant - what exactly do you mean "halfway down"?

When cold, the coolant should reach the "MIN" mark on the expansion tank near the bottom, when hot should be no higher than the "MAX" mark.

The expansion tank is one of those things where the clue really is in the name - the coolant expands as it gets warmer so really only needs to satisfy the MIN mark when cold.

I know when you have a leak, suspected or otherwise it's good to keep an eye on it but there can be too much of a good thing as it were. Best checked when cold, as long as it's at or just above the MIN mark, it's all good.

If you really are losing it, try a new cap - they are often overlooked as a source of leakage because they often don't show any evidence of coolant leaking out but it goes out through the breather in them and evaporates quickly without leaving marks.
Sometimes the seals become compromised and it leaks past the seal, again evaporating almost instantly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 07:09   #30
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good news on the fuel pump!

Bit baffled by what you say about the coolant - what exactly do you mean "halfway down"?

When cold, the coolant should reach the "MIN" mark on the expansion tank near the bottom, when hot should be no higher than the "MAX" mark.

The expansion tank is one of those things where the clue really is in the name - the coolant expands as it gets warmer so really only needs to satisfy the MIN mark when cold.

I know when you have a leak, suspected or otherwise it's good to keep an eye on it but there can be too much of a good thing as it were. Best checked when cold, as long as it's at or just above the MIN mark, it's all good.

If you really are losing it, try a new cap - they are often overlooked as a source of leakage because they often don't show any evidence of coolant leaking out but it goes out through the breather in them and evaporates quickly without leaving marks.
Sometimes the seals become compromised and it leaks past the seal, again evaporating almost instantly.
The first time I noticed it was low was when it was hot, and there was barely any coolant in the tank at all (below min). It does sound like I may have over compensated a little since then, but it still does seem to be losing some somewhere!

I'll have a grope around the oil filter pipework later, see if I can find anything