Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5R boost question / help please

Views : 6335

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2021, 10:49   #1
Pupbelly

Question T5R boost question / help please

What level of boost should be displayed on the stock boost gauge under full boost?

The needle on my car goes about 1/4 into the white section, and there doesn't feel to be the surge of power I would expect. Are there any obvious things I can check? I've looked at the lines from the turbo to the TCV and everything is now connected (the blue line to the fresh air link wasn't connected at the tree ). The hoses do feel a bit crumbly on all three so could there be a boost issue there as a result?

It doesn't feel as urgent as I think it should, so any advice would be welcomed.

Many thanks
Mark

This is a recent purchase (two days old!) so I'm still learning the quirks of the car. It has near full history. Recent turbo rebuild, and the PCV has just been done. Looking for guidance please as I learn to hopefully gain trust in it!

Last edited by Pupbelly; Sep 6th, 2021 at 11:08.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 15:23   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I cannot help with the boost issue, but just wanted to say glad you have found a car that appealed to you and hope you have many happy miles in it.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 16:33   #3
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I cannot help with the boost issue, but just wanted to say glad you have found a car that appealed to you and hope you have many happy miles in it.
Thank you! More details to follow in another thread, but in theory it should be a joy. 99.9% original and has led a charmed life very little use over the last few years, however I just feel it's lacking 'oomph' so as I'm a newbie to the world of Volvo ownership I'm looking for some guidance.

I'm hoping it could be just ageing vacuum lines but if there are any other pointers then hopefully someone on here can help. Whilst the turbo gauge does show negative on the scale then just into the white on the dashboard, it doesn't feel like I think it should i.e. a good linear shove of power, or even an old school wallop of boost at around 3k.

Vacuum pipes, intercooler hoses...?

Anyone??

Last edited by Pupbelly; Sep 6th, 2021 at 16:35.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 18:56   #4
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Boost issue

You could really do with an accurate boost gauge and also as regards to lack of power it all depends on what you are comparing to. I have said before in previous posts that I find the standard T5 engine lazy especially compared to modern cars.
Once you have an accurate reading of the boost pressure firstly I would get back to basics check or better replace all the vacuum hoses and check all boost hoses intercooler ect for leaks I use a smoke Pro for this. I remember on my me7 v70r it was the wastegate control valve caused an issue where the car would be savagely quick then nearly no boost
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 21:10   #5
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
You could really do with an accurate boost gauge and also as regards to lack of power it all depends on what you are comparing to. I have said before in previous posts that I find the standard T5 engine lazy especially compared to modern cars.
Once you have an accurate reading of the boost pressure firstly I would get back to basics check or better replace all the vacuum hoses and check all boost hoses intercooler ect for leaks I use a smoke Pro for this. I remember on my me7 v70r it was the wastegate control valve caused an issue where the car would be savagely quick then nearly no boost
I’ve ordered some replacement 5mm silicone pipe plus clips and I’ll replace the lines from the turbo to the turbo control valve (the thing with the coloured lines leading to it) although one of them seems to connect almost under the turbo which looks a cow to get at!
If that offers nothing then I’ll do the intercooler pipes.

I would have thought a T5-R with circa 240bhp would have a good shove when on boost.

One thing I noticed tonight, if I rev the car with the airbox lid lifted I can hear the turbo but there’s a momentary whistle briefly, not turbo whistle and actual as though a person were to whistle a short sharp “peep” as you blip the throttle. Is this an indication of a leak somewhere that is being voiced through the airbox lid??

All thoughts welcomed!!
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 21:12   #6
Pupbelly

Where does the turbo control valve take its electrical information from? Could it be faulty?
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 22:00   #7
Shinsplintz 101

Evening fella.

You should really give the car a full stage zero from the off - sound like some of it may have already been done - but I'd still take it all apart again and check fitment / quality of parts used. You'd be surprised how wrong some folk get it.

Re boost, or lack of: check VAC lines and routing, check intercooler and charge pipework for splits/cracks - particularly at clamping points - then change the TCV ( boost control solenoid) it'll almost certainly be the original and often overlooked.

You also mention the turbo is new - check that the wastgate is set to release at the correct Psi- you'll need a mitivac or similar to check - and adjust rod length to suit boost pressure that you want to hold.

Also check hot side connections of new turbo- loose manifold studs or a wapping big crack in the manifold will knacker boost generation- escaping gasses- as will poor fitment to the downpipe (reducing backpressure,.although this would be less noticeable).

I'll dig out some factory settings info & post it up shortly.

Glad you tracked down your unicorn. Welcome to the R club.

Cheers Morgan
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 22:06   #8
Jammin

My 850R was poorly when I got it. The first thing I did was to add a second boost gauge for fault finding. Eventually, I'd replaced all the vac pipes and experienced full boost for the first time going up a hill in the rain

My dash gauge goes to about 4/5 into the white on stock boost, I get the fuel cut jerks if I try to go higher by tweaking the waste gate.
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 22:13   #9
Shinsplintz 101

Vac line routing

http://www.volvohowto.com/volvo-850-...oses-diagrahm/

Wastegate adjustment - looking for 4-5psi from factory.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=53189

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Sep 6th, 2021 at 22:27.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 22:15   #10
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
I’ve ordered some replacement 5mm silicone pipe plus clips and I’ll replace the lines from the turbo to the turbo control valve (the thing with the coloured lines leading to it) although one of them seems to connect almost under the turbo which looks a cow to get at!
If that offers nothing then I’ll do the intercooler pipes.

I would have thought a T5-R with circa 240bhp would have a good shove when on boost.

One thing I noticed tonight, if I rev the car with the airbox lid lifted I can hear the turbo but there’s a momentary whistle briefly, not turbo whistle and actual as though a person were to whistle a short sharp “peep” as you blip the throttle. Is this an indication of a leak somewhere that is being voiced through the airbox lid??

All thoughts welcomed!!
If you remove the turbo air intake pipe it makes the the connection on the compressor housing you need a bit easier to get to I did mine recently
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post: