Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life with my 960 Estate

Views : 14203

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2021, 16:43   #1
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Smile Life with my 960 Estate

So I have proudly owned my Big Green Goddess for 2 weeks now and since she is my first ever Volvo I thought I would detail some of ups and downs of owning such a big beauty

001.jpg

So the good bits so far:

Firstly; she just makes me smile every time I walk out to her, my god I think she's a pretty beast!

Secondly; as my first automatic too I must say I am a convert so easy to drive and I really don't know why I have waited 38 years to buy one?

Thirdly; that 3.0 24v Straight Six white block is a joy overall it's real Grace, Space and some Pace in a great package.

002.jpg

Now the downsides so far:

One: despite the big engine she is no 850 T5R; it's 201 bhp not the 850's 237 bhp and she's really a big luxury girl who can and will hustle you down the road but expect more waft than waaaaaggghhhhh...

That said the road holding is amazing and she does on occasion surprize the Big German Car owners - the look on that Audi, BMW and Merc owners face when you floor it and leave them behind is so worth it.

Two: flooring it is not cheap! She's a big heavy bird and that 3.0 24v straight six will slurp petrol at the best of times if you get a real lead foot the fuel economy is sub 20 MPG as she guzzles her way through your bank account

Three: She's been running rough at idle I have no idea why so she's gone to see Dr Mechanic today and I hope the news is good? I will let you know the outcome when I do...

Overall:

I am loving the Smiles Per Hour that owning this 26 year old beauty is giving me. I would buy another in a heatbeat and really am looking forward to many more (s)miles to come.
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 16:49   #2
volvo again
Master Member

It's great car, I had one but found the fuel consumption a bit too much, sometimes travelling more than 200 miles to dog shows at 18 - 22 mpg finally proved too expensive
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 17:32   #3
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
It's great car, I had one but found the fuel consumption a bit too much, sometimes travelling more than 200 miles to dog shows at 18 - 22 mpg finally proved too expensive
I don't intend to do too many long journeys and at the moment the MPG is just her dark side and without the dark there can be no light

I got diagnosed with bowel cancer in November and the future is up in the air for me...

... good news is it hasn't spread, bad news is I am waiting on an operation and Covid 19 has not helped with speeding that up!

So for me living the now is very important, after all is said a done I only have one life to live so I am going to enjoy it whist I can... here's hoping it's a long 960 filled one

And heck might as well spend my PIP on a big beauty rather than a motability scooter
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 19:24   #4
volvo always
Premier Member

Hope your OP happens soon.

I have had a few Volvo's.

First a 1986 740 estate. 5 years. Cost me £425.00

2nd a 1989 240 GLT auto estate. Had this 10 years. Cost £350 in 2009. Sold for £500 a few years ago now, still on road. Sold with 234,000 miles.

A few years prior bought a 1996 940 LPT estate. £250. Bought the 940 as more quiet, ABS brakes, sunroof and had AC although not working currently.
Owned for five years now and all reliable. Use the 940 Volvo as my workhorse.

Like Auto's. Volvo got it just right on pick up/well matched.

Would like a Bertone 780 and P1800.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 19:38   #5
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

So good news bad news ...

Good news:

Dr Mechanic says not an expensive fix on the rough idle - new leads and coil pack ftw

Bad news:

Parts not arrived yet so slight delay

Good news:

They may arrive tomorrow and the Dr says they work on Saturday so may have her back tomorrow

Shout out and props to Mill Hill Garage in March (Cambs)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:09   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Sounds like a lovey vehicle! Well done on picking it up.

I hope your personal situation goes as well as possible and that you have a speedy recovery.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:13   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Enjoy your Volvo and best wishes for your personal situation.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:26   #8
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Last time I had this much fun was with my 1978 2.2 Leyland Princess..

Big Bonnet Straight Six, Twin SU Carbs it was like driving a big oversized mini with velour seats and a Soupy stir up a gear any gear will do Gearbox.

I paid £100 for it ran it for 18 months then sold it for £100 - sigh those were the days ...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:26   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

I'd always wanted a straight six engined car, and a few years back had the chance to buy a 1997 S90 - like yours the 3 litre 204bhp with an automatic gearbox.

And yes, it's a joy to drive. The sound the engine makes is wonderful, the acceleration is refined and stress-free, the space and grace something even a Rolls Royce owner might envy. Barge-like steering, but thanks to that rear suspension set up, winds round fast corners like an express train on rails.

And yes, the fuel consumption is a bit ah well, steep, I think would cover it. But if you're not doing a big mileage then honestly once you've sampled Volvo 900-series 3-litre motoring, you really wouldn't want anything else.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to look after too.

And if these things matter, I guarantee that when you do venture onto the forecourt you will get admiring glances, and the car will attract "you don't see many like that" comments.

A word to the wise - think about some additional security - Volvos of this age in good order are apparently targeted by thieves.

Enjoy your Big Green Goddess - and fingers crossed that the medics can work some magic for you too.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jun 4th, 2021 at 21:29.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:40   #10
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
I'd always wanted a straight six engined car, and a few years back had the chance to buy a 1997 S90 - like yours the 3 litre 204bhp with an automatic gearbox.

And yes, it's a joy to drive. The sound the engine makes is wonderful, the acceleration is refined and stress-free, the space and grace something even a Rolls Royce owner might envy. Barge-like steering, but thanks to that rear suspension set up, winds round fast corners like an express train on rails.

And yes, the fuel consumption is a bit ah well, steep, I think would cover it. But if you're not doing a big mileage then honestly once you've sampled Volvo 900-series 3-litre motoring, you really wouldn't want anything else.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to look after too.

And if these things matter, I guarantee that when you do venture onto the forecourt you will get admiring glances, and the car will attract "you don't see many like that" comments.

A word to the wise - think about some additional security - Volvos of this age in good order are apparently targeted by thieves.

Enjoy your Big Green Goddess - and fingers crossed that the medics can work some magic for you too.

Cheers

Jack
You are so right on everything here Already had the mechanic at the Garage nudge his young (millennial) apprentice and tell him now that's a real car you want to buy one of those!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post: