Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery power cable fuse blown

Views : 2345

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2021, 19:23   #1
big_yin

Default Battery power cable fuse blown

Hi

I have 2006 Volvo v50 2.0D.

Two weeks ago the fuse that is in the positive cable failed, so when you start the engine you only hear a click and nothing else happens.

It is the cable that runs from the battery to the starter motor to the alternator. I blew whilst it was at the garage for it's MOT so they had to fix this first before they could do the MOT. The fuse can not be replaced on it's own and you have to replace the whole cable.

It has now blown again and and am awaiting a replacement, and have replaced the starter motor, just to be sure that that is not going to be the cause, as one of the connection points was not very good, but question is, could a faulty alternator blow this fuse as well, and is there a way to test this before I blow another fuse?
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 07:20   #2
sakm

I have had the fuse go on me last night leaving me stranded at work!

I have have done a bit of looking about and some people have removed the stock fuse and drilled the two metal clamps/connectors and put a couple of nuts and bolts on to allow them to fit a midi fuse which are much much cheaper than the standard one
sakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 16:19   #3
chriscs40

I had the exact same problem on my '06 S40 2.0D - Starter motor was gone on mine and caused the Inline Cable/fuse to blow. Both had to be replaced on my car, its the second time the starter motor had to be replaced, but I have huge mileage put up on my car so I can't complain. Those inline cable fuses aren't cheap. As the other poster mentioned they could be made up cheaper if you know someone who knows waht they are doing, but I needed my car back so just went with the main dealer part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_yin View Post
Hi

I have 2006 Volvo v50 2.0D.

Two weeks ago the fuse that is in the positive cable failed, so when you start the engine you only hear a click and nothing else happens.

It is the cable that runs from the battery to the starter motor to the alternator. I blew whilst it was at the garage for it's MOT so they had to fix this first before they could do the MOT. The fuse can not be replaced on it's own and you have to replace the whole cable.

It has now blown again and and am awaiting a replacement, and have replaced the starter motor, just to be sure that that is not going to be the cause, as one of the connection points was not very good, but question is, could a faulty alternator blow this fuse as well, and is there a way to test this before I blow another fuse?
chriscs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 20:15   #4
sakm

This is not my pic but this is what I found that someone else has done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 118675363_358394965183437_2162856768342674552_o.jpg (123.4 KB, 90 views)
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 20:58   #5
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
This is not my pic but this is what I found that someone else has done
That is what I am going to do if this on blows again, which I hope it won't, but if the alternator is the culprit then it might do it again.

The cable for the Ford Focus Mk3 is the same minus the fuse. You can just connect a fuse holder to it and attach it to the battery the same way as in your picture

The fuse holder I have in mind is this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-150-A...n/202061527506
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 21:03   #6
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscs40 View Post
I had the exact same problem on my '06 S40 2.0D - Starter motor was gone on mine and caused the Inline Cable/fuse to blow. Both had to be replaced on my car, its the second time the starter motor had to be replaced, but I have huge mileage put up on my car so I can't complain. Those inline cable fuses aren't cheap. As the other poster mentioned they could be made up cheaper if you know someone who knows waht they are doing, but I needed my car back so just went with the main dealer part.
The new part was 119 + VAT from Volvo when the garage put it on when it was there for it's MOT. I now got a second hand one coming in for 40
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 20:54   #7
sakm

And this is my bodge!

it works a treat and a new starter fitted it turns over pretty well

cost to repair this battery cable fuse? under £5 for two fuses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161920263_911690119567210_9034149691294723431_n.jpg (110.5 KB, 76 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to sakm For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2021, 22:17   #8
sakm

Well my fix didn't last long!

I popped the fuse this morning! luckily I bought two so I replaced it and started doing some testing

After starting I noticed my fuse was pretty warm and staying warm while running and checking voltage either side of the fuse I had a drop of about .04V not sure on the amps!

As a result I think the fuse is cheap and crap but upon more checking I also think I had a poor earth to the engine.

I also thought I had a poor connection from the battery to the starter so the cable was removed and inspected.

I removed the clamp on the battery end of the cable and the wire had a fair bit of corrosion.

I decided to make a new connector between the battery and cable from some copper pipe and do away with the fuse as after all there is a lot of cars that don't have this fuse fitted.

I also removed the earth on the engine and cleaned it up and attached it to one of the starter motor bolts.

As a result the car now spins over much better.

So I reckon I was right in that I had two issues here one being a bad earth and the other a bad connection on the battery cable causing a large draw.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 05:37   #9
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile High amp fuses

I have some of those fuses, used in the rear fusebox on S60, not sure what amperage but Pm me with a pic and amp rating if you need any,
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 08:27   #10
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
Well my fix didn't last long!

I popped the fuse this morning! luckily I bought two so I replaced it and started doing some testing

After starting I noticed my fuse was pretty warm and staying warm while running and checking voltage either side of the fuse I had a drop of about .04V not sure on the amps!

As a result I think the fuse is cheap and crap but upon more checking I also think I had a poor earth to the engine.

I also thought I had a poor connection from the battery to the starter so the cable was removed and inspected.

I removed the clamp on the battery end of the cable and the wire had a fair bit of corrosion.

I decided to make a new connector between the battery and cable from some copper pipe and do away with the fuse as after all there is a lot of cars that don't have this fuse fitted.

I also removed the earth on the engine and cleaned it up and attached it to one of the starter motor bolts.

As a result the car now spins over much better.

So I reckon I was right in that I had two issues here one being a bad earth and the other a bad connection on the battery cable causing a large draw.
Nice one that all is working ok on your car.

My replacement cable came in on Thursday and I checked the cables on corrosion but also the connection points which I all cleaned before connecting them. They didn't do this at the garage apparently.

All is working fine and the starter motor is going round faster then previously so I am hopeful that it is now sorted. I have however purchased a fuse holder and fuses so that I can make a similar set-up next time it happens again.