Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti-skid service required

Views : 3444

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 11:49   #11
David737

If I may hijack/join the topic?
I have a 2005 XC70. The other day I was driving at night down an unfamiliar road which happened to be flooded to a depth of approximately 6-8 inches. I braked late as it was very difficult to see but went through okay. After stopping about 10 miles later and restarting the “anti skid service required” came on with no other lamps/warnings. The ABS appears to work, but if I do a spirited start the front left wheel will spin which I assume should be corrected by the system. I don’t have a code reader, but was thinking it may be a result of the water encounter. Anyone have any ideas? I could check all the connectors associated with the DSTC but unsure where they are under the bonnet/car. Also when I select DSTC off via the button the button light extinguishes but I don’t get any lamps coming on the dash.
Thanks
David737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:17   #12
paddy74

Difficult to say, as there are a lot of parts involved to get an anti-skid-message... If you can get your hands on a code reader, it would be much easier to pinpoint.

What you can do without a reader:
  • check the reluctor rings / abs sensors for dirt or debris that came with the water (maybe a good clean helps here).
  • check the cables going to these sensors. Are they ok?
  • check the BCM (brake control module), especially the big plug, for water ingress.
As I said, a readout would help a lot, as it would narrow the possibilities down to one or two wheels, so you could investigate further.

Note: if you get an anti-skid-message there are numerous things that won't work! ABS, DSTC and basically all electronic assistants, that have to do with road grip! That means you should drive carefully, your brake power, as well as your grip, will be reduced and is not supported by any electronic helper! Just keep that in mind and don't push it.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:39   #13
David737

Thanks paddy74
The ABS side appears to work normally but shouldn’t get one wheel spinning when setting off briskly. I’ll physically check the speed sensors, and BCM connections when I get an E5 socket and also see if the local garage can read the codes as they have a multi-vehicle ODB reader but not Vida.
Will have to trace back from the wheel where the connectors are situated.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:46   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Check your driveshaft centre bolt is tight on the wheel that spins.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:48   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

someone can probably confirm if this is the same or similar for yours?

that's the ABS sensors on my car, for example

part 1 is a pickup for a ring which is around the end of the drive shaft

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 6th, 2021 at 14:51.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:19   #16
David737

Thank you all. Will check centre driveshaft bolt. Is cable “6” in the diagram from the rear sensors? There’s 2 connectors on the rhs of the car but only one on the rhs and a blank above the one on the rhs (relative the car).
Do you know of an ODB reader that will read fault codes on a Volvo? icarsoft maybe?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:30   #17
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

if you're planning to keep it for a while you'd be better off with VIDA and a VCX device which you can source through cheshired5 on here. I'm gonna get one at some point, just borrowed one for now. You'd need to run the software on a laptop (runs on windows 7 but instructions are available for windows 10)

you can not only view / clear faults, you can also look at all the diagrams, get part numbers, some workshop instructions for repairs, reset various things, look at live data from all your sensors, etc etc

well worth it long term

re: cable 6 - it looks like it yes but someone else will have to confirm, sorry

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 6th, 2021 at 15:33.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:32   #18
paddy74

First things first. Get VIDA, it provides you with a load of intructions and fault tracing possibilities. VIDA is independent from a DICE! Which means, you can use VIDA as your repair handbook, no "need" for a DICE.

Get it and check for yourself, the explosion drawing provided by stuart bowes is from VIDA.

That should give you a better insight, where parts are located and how they work together.

If you want a reader, go with one from Cheshired5 (Simon) here from this forum. It costs around GBP 100.- (DICE or VCXNano) and you would get VIDA together with it, and most importantly, Simon provides an excellent support for the products he sells!

The iCarsoft readers are more expensive, but you can probably read more than Volvos. I wouldn't go that way, if you have a Volvo, get the tool for Volvo, not something generic. And if you stop using Volvos you can always sell it on, prices are nearly stable.

Give Cheshired5 a PM and talk to him, I'm sure you will find a great deal together.

Check his thread here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=256681
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:35   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

jinx

tbh installing VIDA without the device is still worth it because of all the info available. you just use the VIN to identify the car instead of reading info with the device

mini project - link
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 16:53   #20
David737

Great help thank you. Will look at the Vida option. We have a C30 too.