Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti skid message

Views : 1247

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2021, 13:13   #11
john langrick
Master Member

You may have two issues here, the first an abs issue, but the second may well be a usual failure in your generation of xc90 and mine, that is failure of the spline drive to the transfer box.

Simple test is to lay on your back, feet forwards and reach up just in front of the rear wheel arches. You should be able for find the prop shaft, use rubber gloves which help to get a better (and cleaner) grip. If you can turn the propshaft, then the spline drive has failed.

The car will not show error messages for this, but will be very apparent on gravel car parks or in the snow as the back wheels are not being driven and the front will slip.

Not a disaster to get fixed, you will need a new spline drive, which has been updated. The main cost is the labour to remove the transfer box and hopefully the wear has not extended to the transfer box drive as this can become worn if a stripped spline gear is not sorted quickly. Result is a replacement transfer box.. ask how I know that!

Last edited by john langrick; Dec 14th, 2021 at 13:16.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 16:00   #12
B19eed

I have a horrible feeling that’s what my issue is, under moderate acceleration there is an intermittent (I want to say grinding, but it’s not as disastrous sounding as that) noise from what to my ears seems to be roughly below the back seats? (Although I have been caught out before with trying to pin-point where sounds are coming from with a failed wheel bearing on a Renault scenic sounding as if it was coming from the back) this noise in the Volvo though, it’s almost like a rattling shield over an exhaust, but worse. More like the exhaust rubbing against something. Could well be that. When I first got it the sound was worse. Then I had the top and bottom engine mounts done and it almost silenced it. But it’s coming back.
B19eed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 16:16   #13
john langrick
Master Member

Mine did not have these symptoms, but it could be the spline gear has just started to slip and transferring noise down the propshaft.

But sorting sooner than later is best, especially with winter coming along.

Cheers
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 14:06   #14
B19eed

I have had the vehicle looked at, the propshaft won’t turn so that rules the splined drive out, however there are several fault codes:

0094 communication between control modules, communication problems with active on demand couplings.

0109 communication between control modules, communication problems with steering wheel angle sensor, internal fault.

1464 communication with the differential electronics module (dem)

0016 control module communication fault

These were read with a Snap-On Modis Ultra
B19eed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 23:27   #15
dambat

Need to check the SAS and BCM data streams to see which is at fault when the DTC is raised. Fairly easy with Vida. Also can often identify the actual fault:
SAS angle changing randomly as wheel is turned - optical sensor(s) blocked.
SAS 180 degree out - SAS needs clocking - probably because someone tried to fix and put it back wrongly.
SAS slightly out - calibration issue.
BCM angle/speed regular or cyclic variation - ring on that wheel.
Complete lack of data on PID - bad sensor etc.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 08:56   #16
tonygreen1966

I had a faulty DEM and I'm sure it triggered the ABS warning light. There is no DEM warning light on the dashboard so this would make sense to initially warn drivers of a problem. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
I also see you do not have any ABS warning codes from the snapon scantool - this may also support my DEM theory.
My failed DEM through up all sort of communication issues with other modules that the DEM speaks to - I'm sure the DEM will speak to the steering angle sensors inorder to control DSTC (Dynamic Stability & Traction Control).
At the end of the day best to buy Vida Dice as it will save you loads in the long run- cheshired5 - a forum member does a good deal on this and is extremely helpful. Or you can pay Volvo/Indie to scan it with Vida Dice for £50/100.
In the meantime I think there is a way to use the oddometer button to get more detailed fault codes- does any member have a 'how to' on this?
If it is the DEM that is your problem or one of your problems, Lucaz(another forum member) has a company that repairs DEMs for £140 with a lifetime warranty. see https://volvodiagnostic.com/

Last edited by tonygreen1966; Jan 20th, 2022 at 08:58.
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote