Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

polyurethane bushings shot

Views : 4356

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2021, 21:17   #41
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Looks like a nice 16v Redblock has been added to it, which obvs makes it a lot better
Judging by the fuel rail, inlet manifold and the massive snail on the side I bet there is a long list of mods!

I believe in Europe the first few years of the 960 were offered with a redblock turbo. I've only seen them as 1991 turbos over here and only seen 3 come up for sale in about 4 years.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 22:01   #42
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Looks like a nice 16v Redblock has been added to it, which obvs makes it a lot better
In many markets you could have a 960 with a 8valve turbo, 16v turbo or even a D24 engine!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 17:31   #43
AdrianJ

Default Tax regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
In many markets you could have a 960 with a 8valve turbo, 16v turbo or even a D24 engine!
In Europe the 960 with the two liter 16V turbo (B204GT without cat and B204FT with cat) was only sold in Italy, France and Belgium. Had to do with the tax regime in those countries.
AdrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianJ For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:44   #44
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianJ View Post
In Europe the 960 with the two liter 16V turbo (B204GT without cat and B204FT with cat) was only sold in Italy, France and Belgium. Had to do with the tax regime in those countries.
I have been offered a few from Portugal
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 22:29   #45
AdrianJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianJ View Post
12K km ago a complete set of Retro Turbo multi-link type I bushes was installed on my 1993 Volvo 960. Big mistake as it turned out. Especially the bushes for the lower wishbones caused trouble. I found out that the holes were widened severely as if the polyurethane inside was actually made of clay (pict). After only six months driving this created so much play that the wishbones started rubbing against the outer edge of the inside of the rims. Since this tells me enough about the **** quality of the used material, I absolutely need to change all the bushings of this set before worse things will happen. And that is a problem since unfortunately there are no replacement bushes available for the multi-link type I anymore.
My question for you is if there is a company that still sells a reliable poly bushing set or could fabricate these bushes for me. I am willing to pay a good price for it. After spending good money for modifying engine, drive train, big brakes incl new booster/mbc and front and rear suspension (Kaplhenke), I am not considering leaving the car (pict) in its current condition.
I hope you can give me some tips for the right direction.

By the way, I emailed Pete from Retro Turbo three times. His answer after months of waiting: "Will forward your email to my business partner to see what have happened there." That was two months ago. How does this company survive?
Sorry to bother you with this nasty matter again. Three months later still no reply from Retro Turbo. In the event that it was a purchase of only 50 euros, I would have saved myself the aggravation and would not have brought it up again. But having to throw 500 euros in the trash can, hurts when I look at the box with the disassembled failing retro turbo bushes.
If anybody can tell me how to get in contact with Peter, I would appreciate that. He still doesn’t respond to my emails. Not very decent, to say the least. Especially because I have been a customer for many years and have bought not only the multi-link bushes kit but many more parts from him.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 02:37   #46
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I don't think Retro Turbo are in business anymore.

Strongflex bushes have been mentioned on fb, and they're decently priced.
https://www.strongflex.eu
https://strongflexuk.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 15:08   #47
AdrianJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
I don't think Retro Turbo are in business anymore.

Strongflex bushes have been mentioned on fb, and they're decently priced.
https://www.strongflex.eu
https://strongflexuk.com/
Looked at Strongflex, but no multi-link I bushings, unfortunately. Not an interesting market from a commercial point of view, I understand.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 18:38   #48
Jimsiss

Quick update on my Retro Turbo supplied polybushes. All of them are looking like 20 year old rubber bushes now, heavily worn and steering doesn’t feel great. The Lower arm bushes with the Aluminium sleeve around them are crumbling on the sleeve, the aluminium has completely corroded and is literally dropping off and crumbling into powder. I’m in the process of replacing them all with much better branded Poly bushes from the likes of super flex and super pro.

I ordered the Superflex ARB bushes from a seller on eBay and he cancelled the order after saying I didn’t state the ARB diameter (which I did) he told me to reorder and I did and cancelled again as superflex have discontinued the Volvo ARB bushes

I might make those ARB blocks yet or buy the full IPD uprated ARB kit and risk the excessive import fees. Anyone got any reviews on the IPD ARBs?
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 21:50   #49
Jimsiss

Here is a bit that fell off the outer of the bush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E75E2B42-270F-4EFE-A107-029D1EAD89DF.jpg (67.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 313AFD17-D9A6-4FAD-922E-FA6A3DD72A61.jpg (60.5 KB, 8 views)
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 16:13   #50
Jimsiss

These are the bushes so far. As you can see the bottom arm to chassis bush was disintegrating and the others are ok but look like they’ve taken a beating. The car only does an average of 4000miles a year and these have been in for about 7 years so not great. Replacing with a mix of superflex, strong flex and prosport.