Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a T8 at nearly 4 or 5 years old - read this!

Views : 42660

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 09:58   #21
Guymcc

I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind when it comes to buying second hand... I wonder if i phone a dealership will they know when the ERAD was modified on new cars... mid to late 2017 says Philip Fisher.... Its probably something they don’t want to talk about too much
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 14:51   #22
jpbyes1

Smile Erad issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
As many people have reported there have been instances of failure of the electric motor in the rear axle. This unit is called the ERAD. In the past the entire unit has been replaced, which has been quoted as a circa 9k GBP cost. Repair is sometimes possible and there is now a repair and modification kit for this unit which I am led to believe is about 1.7k parts and about 12 hours labour. This will add up to a circa 3.5k GBP job to repair.

The ERAD can fail in different ways but common symptoms are hesitation on pulling away, pulling away then cutting out, juddering (axle tramp) or a loud clunking from the rear.

What I have found out recently is that Volvo has increased the warranty on this part to 5 years. Up to 4 years old they will pay for 100% of the repair cost. Up to 5 years old they will pay for 50%.

What I also now know is that this is strictly enforced. My car was 48 months old on 1.3.20. I had first symptoms on 8.3.20. I rang the dealer about a week later and it was booked in for 31.3.20. Due to UK shutdown I didn't get to the dealer until mid May when the codes were read and the fault diagnosed. The dealer tried very hard for goodwill for me, but Volvo UK refused as the 48 month deadline is strictly enforced. Volvo UK also have full access to the dealer software so they know exactly when the codes were read. So for me from Volvo all I am offered is 50% of the cost. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty which should cover it.

So. For anyone experiencing any of the symptoms above, and if the car is close to either the 4 or 5 year anniversary then get to the dealer ASAP and get the codes read. It could save you a lot of money.

Hope that helps someone.
Yes its a big help, i have the same issue and i only had my car 3 weeks with 29,900 miles on it at 3 years and 10 months old.

Got it back and it started juddering like the front and back was trying to go in seperate directions!.

It went in to my Volvo dealers service centre and they were fantastic, I have been a Volvo driver now for 15 Years and its been a breeze geting this resolved.

They suspected the ERAD and were on the money so to speak, I am looking forward to geting it back on Friday. Thanks Again and bit Thanks to Volvo.
jpbyes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 22:37   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbyes1 View Post
Yes its a big help, i have the same issue and i only had my car 3 weeks with 29,900 miles on it at 3 years and 10 months old.

Got it back and it started juddering like the front and back was trying to go in seperate directions!.

It went in to my Volvo dealers service centre and they were fantastic, I have been a Volvo driver now for 15 Years and its been a breeze geting this resolved.

They suspected the ERAD and were on the money so to speak, I am looking forward to geting it back on Friday. Thanks Again and bit Thanks to Volvo.
Glad to help. Who's your dealer? I used to live just outside Mansfield, but think all the dealers have changed since then.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 09:28   #24
altaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
As many people have reported there have been instances of failure of the electric motor in the rear axle. This unit is called the ERAD. In the past the entire unit has been replaced, which has been quoted as a circa 9k GBP cost. Repair is sometimes possible and there is now a repair and modification kit for this unit which I am led to believe is about 1.7k parts and about 12 hours labour. This will add up to a circa 3.5k GBP job to repair.

The ERAD can fail in different ways but common symptoms are hesitation on pulling away, pulling away then cutting out, juddering (axle tramp) or a loud clunking from the rear.

What I have found out recently is that Volvo has increased the warranty on this part to 5 years. Up to 4 years old they will pay for 100% of the repair cost. Up to 5 years old they will pay for 50%.

What I also now know is that this is strictly enforced. My car was 48 months old on 1.3.20. I had first symptoms on 8.3.20. I rang the dealer about a week later and it was booked in for 31.3.20. Due to UK shutdown I didn't get to the dealer until mid May when the codes were read and the fault diagnosed. The dealer tried very hard for goodwill for me, but Volvo UK refused as the 48 month deadline is strictly enforced. Volvo UK also have full access to the dealer software so they know exactly when the codes were read. So for me from Volvo all I am offered is 50% of the cost. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty which should cover it.

So. For anyone experiencing any of the symptoms above, and if the car is close to either the 4 or 5 year anniversary then get to the dealer ASAP and get the codes read. It could save you a lot of money.

Hope that helps someone.
Hi Philip,
Are you able to share who you got your warranty from?
altaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 21:07   #25
mikeyd2008

Hi Philip having the same problem I have a 2016 XC90 . It’s ERAD is on the way out and dealership say it needs replacing at €4000. Thy tell me I have no warranty cover on this , you mentioned a 4 and 5 year warranty,is this standard or is this extended warranty that you had to pay extra for. If it’s standard where can I get a copy of this. Mike
mikeyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 15:01   #26
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2008 View Post
Hi Philip having the same problem I have a 2016 XC90 . It’s ERAD is on the way out and dealership say it needs replacing at €4000. Thy tell me I have no warranty cover on this , you mentioned a 4 and 5 year warranty,is this standard or is this extended warranty that you had to pay extra for. If it’s standard where can I get a copy of this. Mike
Other people may give better answers, from personal experience or be able to give you some hard evidence, but if I am reading it correctly, Volvo UK have decided to offer a goodwill gesture for this part up to five years old, as they have recognised the issue, as the standard Volvo warranty is 3 years.

If you are approaching Volvo Ireland, they may not have taken the same stance as Volvo UK on this matter, and simply be sticking with the standard warranty and not offering the goodwill gesture. (Are they different companies ?)

If this is the case you may have to approach Volvo UK, to have the issue resolved, if it is a UK car that you have. (The fact the car is in Ireland and the extend of Volvo service history may play a part as well ?)

Failing all that, I would suggest calling some of the dealers mentioned on here that have carried out the work, and get the information directly from them.

This is all speculation on my part from the responses given, but hopefully someone can provide more detailed information to hopefully get them to stump up some cash.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 22:59   #27
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Other people may give better answers, from personal experience or be able to give you some hard evidence, but if I am reading it correctly, Volvo UK have decided to offer a goodwill gesture for this part up to five years old, as they have recognised the issue, as the standard Volvo warranty is 3 years.

If you are approaching Volvo Ireland, they may not have taken the same stance as Volvo UK on this matter, and simply be sticking with the standard warranty and not offering the goodwill gesture. (Are they different companies ?)

If this is the case you may have to approach Volvo UK, to have the issue resolved, if it is a UK car that you have. (The fact the car is in Ireland and the extend of Volvo service history may play a part as well ?)

Failing all that, I would suggest calling some of the dealers mentioned on here that have carried out the work, and get the information directly from them.

This is all speculation on my part from the responses given, but hopefully someone can provide more detailed information to hopefully get them to stump up some cash.
The above is indeed correct. When I had it done, Volvo UK had extended their warranty on this part for up to 4 years old 100 percent contribution. Up to 5 years old 50% contribution. Over 5 years old you are on your own.

If your car is over 5 years you will get nothing officially in the UK although you could apply for goodwill or extra ordinary goodwill.

As to how it works in Ireland I am afraid I don't know. I would assume that there is also a way of applying for goodwill in Ireland too.

As for mine, my aftermarket warranty paid, but I am aware this is little comfort to you.

If you end up paying yourself it is worth trying to negotiate on price. My dealer has got quite good at it and did mine in about 6 hours so that is *only* about 700 quid or so labour. Get a bit of discount on the part and you might be able to get it done for as low as 2.5k GBP inc VAT.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Apr 26th, 2021 at 23:01.
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 18:13   #28
ustari

Another in the camp here I believe.

Have experience no power, clunking and juddering at times recently and suspect it is this starting to occur. 58k miles, MY17 car (Oct 2016).

Not happening consistently as of yet. Is it when the car changes from electric to petrol that causes it?

Trying to determine what causes it so I can replicate when needed with the indy dealer I bought from.

Also, would any instance of the above occuring register a fault/error on the system?

Want to avoid the whole "We can't see anything wrong with it" until the warranty expires.
ustari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 11:29   #29
XC90ii

Default Just had ours replaced

The fault developed exactly 11 months after we bought the car. It's a 2017 model, on a 16 plate. We bought it from a Volvo dealer, so the ERAD replacement was covered by the Selekt warranty. There is so much that could potentially go wrong with a PHEV - we are definitely going to buy another warranty when the Selekt runs out in a few weeks time.
XC90ii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90ii For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 11:36   #30
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90ii View Post
The fault developed exactly 11 months after we bought the car. It's a 2017 model, on a 16 plate. We bought it from a Volvo dealer, so the ERAD replacement was covered by the Selekt warranty. There is so much that could potentially go wrong with a PHEV - we are definitely going to buy another warranty when the Selekt runs out in a few weeks time.
Would be interested to know what they quote re warranty.

I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s worth checking whether the erad is actually covered by the after market warranty too…