Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best All-Season SUV tyre

Views : 39876

Replies : 174

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Best All season suv tyre
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season 50 24.75%
michelin cross climate 78 38.61%
Goodyear vector 4 season 12 5.94%
nokian weatherproof 37 18.32%
other 25 12.38%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 21:24   #171
jasmith44
jasmith44

Just looked on ATS 4 cross climates for under £400.205x60x16.£25 0ff 2 or £50 off 4
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 19:22   #172
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Ended up paying £430 for 4 x 235/45/17 fitted at home. Which is definitely a good deal.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 13:09   #173
Cloth Ears

I just thought I'd offer some thoughts based on my own experience, partly from advice I read on here:

I have a 2017 MY V60CC D4 SE Nav, AWD, bought at 5 years old, in early 2022. As it's the SE Nav, not the Lux Nav it came with 17" wheels and 235/55 profile tyres. It had nearly new Michelin SUV tyres on the front, and part worn Continentals on the rear.

I wasn't that taken with the handling, it's fine, and no worries over safety or anything like that, it's just that steering was a bit vague and woolly, and lacking in precision or feel, so I never felt like I had complete confidence I could place the car exactly where I wanted it. I decided that 18" wheels, with 235/50 profile tyres might give me a bit of extra stiffness in the sidewall, adding perhaps a touch more of the sort of feel and control I wanted.

I acquired a set of XC60 wheels in nice condition from a forum member and had them refurbed recently. I then needed to choose some new tyres, and had already decided I wanted all seasons, just for that extra degree of security in the sort of cold, wet winters we get round these parts (north west England). I'd been seriously considering Michelin Cross-Climates, as so many people have given positive feedback about them, but was mindful that I hadn't really got on with the Michelins the car came with. I also noted some advice from somebody else on here, to consider increasing the load rating, so as to get stiffer sidewalls.

So I looked around and eventually settled on Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evos. These come as standard in a 101 load rating, up from the regular 97 rating of the tyres they were to replace.

https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/car-ty...ntrol/a005-evo

Now I don't know if it's the 18" rims, the -50 profile, the 101 load rating, the fact that I now have tyres of the same make on both axles, or the Bridgestone tyre design, but they've absolutely transformed the car. It feels stable, as it always did, and ride is ever so slightly firmer, but the steering feel and sense of precision in response to inputs is exactly what I'd hoped for. There's a long motorway slip road not far from here which has a reasonably tight right hand bend; it's always been absolutely fine at 70 (though many drivers seem to drop back to 60) though before it felt as though I had no idea whether I was close to the limits of grip, nor how the car might behave if I reached them. Now it is clear the car is well inside its comfort zone, and if I had to steer or brake suddently, it'd behave exactly as I'd expect. The feeling of absolute confidence in the car's response is what I'd hoped to achieve, and happily it seems to be that way.

I've now done about 1000 miles with them, and my initial impressions have just been reinforced during that time, much of which has been high speed motorway, or fast A-road, but with some twisty B-roads in darkest Dorset. They also feel utterly planted in the wet, and I'm hopeful that, as temps drop, they'll remain so. Ride has been great, and they are if anything, slightly quieter than the tyres they replaced.

It remains to be seen how they wear, of course, but to judge from the Michelins, I used about 4-5mm of tread in 15k miles, so I'd have expected to get about 22-25k miles out of the fronts. So I'll keep a (weather) eye on these, and how they are shaping up. But I'm very hopeful that the combination of these tyres and the AWD will be more than a match for anything the Manchester climate will throw up between October and March.

Last edited by Cloth Ears; Sep 25th, 2023 at 13:12.
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 16:09   #174
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Interesting feedback.

Mine feels better on 18s as well, but I'll be putting the original 17s back on soon as they have lightly worn Cross Climates for the winter. (Otherwise I'd buy 18s !)
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 23:05   #175
NigelDay
Premier Member

I ran Nokian Weatherproof tyres for 8 years (160k miles) but as these were previously made in Russia and they are currently setting up new manufacturing facilities, they were not available when I needed 2 new fronts in August. Black Circles had a good deal on Michelin Cross Climate 2 and - so far - I have been very happy with them. I’ll report back when I have tested them in snow, but the many reports I have read suggest the CC 2 is an excellent tyre.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote