Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water drips from interior light?

Views : 28550

Replies : 157

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2015, 13:47   #11
BL08
VOC Member

Default Suspect bonding?

I had a windscreen replaced and as the fitter was using the cheese wire it became clear that a good portion - 25% approx - of the top wasn't properly bonded to the roof. I have no idea if that was the original windscreen and the fitter said he occasionally sees that but that this was his first Volvo.

It doesn't help I know but it shows it can happen. PS - I would remove the duck tape if you haven't already as it can leave a residue.
The Following User Says Thank You to BL08 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 14:50   #12
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL08 View Post
I had a windscreen replaced and as the fitter was using the cheese wire it became clear that a good portion - 25% approx - of the top wasn't properly bonded to the roof. I have no idea if that was the original windscreen and the fitter said he occasionally sees that but that this was his first Volvo.

It doesn't help I know but it shows it can happen. PS - I would remove the duck tape if you haven't already as it can leave a residue.
Thanks, duck tape is now off as we are enjoying wall to wall sunshine here at the moment. When it next rains I'll look more carefully you see where the water is coming from - windscreen or roof bars or aerial.
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 20:08   #13
PEGE63
Master Member

Its one thing after another here.....just had an hours downpour of slushy snow and wife were off to work and came running in telling me that water dripping all over the centre console ! Duhh. Suppose I have an issue with my screen too. Ours is normally parked nose down and never had this before. Thought that it was coming in by rear hinges (but suppose they seal when closed). Parked car nose up and had some water coming at the rear n/s boot window. Poured water on screen after parking it nose up and no water coming in - duhh. Whats the situation with a possible leaking screen, will it be covered on window insurance or will it be full excess?
Does anyone know?

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 23:22   #14
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63 View Post
Its one thing after another here.....just had an hours downpour of slushy snow and wife were off to work and came running in telling me that water dripping all over the centre console ! Duhh. Suppose I have an issue with my screen too. Ours is normally parked nose down and never had this before. Thought that it was coming in by rear hinges (but suppose they seal when closed). Parked car nose up and had some water coming at the rear n/s boot window. Poured water on screen after parking it nose up and no water coming in - duhh. Whats the situation with a possible leaking screen, will it be covered on window insurance or will it be full excess?
Does anyone know?
I've just been down that road and a leaking screen will NOT be covered by your insurance unless it is actually on your policy or they "allow" it exceptionally. The only way to find out is to phone them but don't give them your details otherwise, if you do take a hammer to your screen to get them to pay for it, they may invalidate your claim. The cost to remove and replace a screen is circa £100, however, if it is broken in the process, a new screen from Autoglass will cost you in the region of £675.

Before deciding it is definitely the screen test the roof rails and the rear aerial to see if the leak is there. On mine it is defo the screen and it is being removed and replaced/resealed tomorrow by National Windscreens - fingers crossed it doesn't break..........
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 08:09   #15
PEGE63
Master Member

Happy Days, and I know have a SRS warning light on aswell, must be related with the water coming in last night, blasted Ford !

Old Apr 28th, 2015, 13:45   #16
PEGE63
Master Member

SRS light sorted due to me re-fitting the interior light assembly in the celiing - phew.
Spoken to dealer who can re-seal screen for 60-85 which I can live with.

I can hear water slushing about up front, any suggestions as where it is? Lifted bonnet and opened up the twist lock cap that sits below the wiper base (drivers side) and it seems a bit damp in there but would there not be some drainage holes in that area built in? Not an easy place to dry out IMObut maybe its always a bit on the damp side due to being accessible from the outside and the lid not being a water tight fit.

Old Apr 28th, 2015, 17:06   #17
GrantA
Master Member

Hi Peter,

Just got my car back from National Windscreens, Inverness where they managed to remove, reseal and replace the windscreen without damaging it. Total cost, including VAT, was £72 which is a 'ell of a lot cheaper than Autoglass who said there was a good chance the windscreen would break on removal and would cost £671 to replace. BTW a new screen from the local Volvo dealer, with the same automatic wiper and headlight dimming functions that mine has, was quoted as £399 so you can see the profit that Autoglass would have made and how much Insurance companies have to pay to get damaged windscreens replaced.

I am very happy with the work carried out, the fitter said that he believed the screen was original and that it came out easily because "the majority of the top of the screen wasn't sealed properly" he also said that the screen was held in place mainly by the trim at the sides which fit very tightly and helps to hold the screen against the car body. In addition to resealing the screen they have inserted a narrow strip of rubber at the top of the screen which makes it a much neater job with no gap as there was before.

I also found out that Autoglass are restructuring there organisation and no longer have workshops dotted all over the UK but now depend more on mobile units to carry out repairs locally. http://www.retaildetail.eu/en/eur-eu...iate-autoglass The big advantage with National Windscreens here in Inverness was their ability to spend some time on my car last week in a workshop looking for the leak which they eventually found at the top of the screen. I wasn't charged for that time, only the time it took to remove and replace the screen today. After my experience today I would recommend National Windscreens in preference to any other similar company.

Grant

PS. Forgot to say the fitter also mentioned that the majority of leaks in the roof lining of cars comes from the roof rails (estate cars) or roof aerials

Last edited by GrantA; Apr 28th, 2015 at 17:13.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 17:48   #18
tt82
Forum Support Team

I think that before I started "cracking" my windscreen or paying for it to be resealed, I would be removing the roof lining and applying dyed water to various parts of the car to see if any leaked through.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 18:29   #19
PEGE63
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I think that before I started "cracking" my windscreen or paying for it to be resealed, I would be removing the roof lining and applying dyed water to various parts of the car to see if any leaked through.
Intersting though but not sure I fancy an interior looking like the rainbow :-)
I reckon top of screen in my case as water came in at middle of car right above gear lever, it it was roof rails then I'd expect it to come in by doors due to curve of roof/roof lining. Leaking shark fin I doubt due to volume of water that came in and car was parked nose down. I think the slush held onto the water longer hence so much coming in. Have been in under the wiper trim and its fine under there, car now in warehouse at work with all doors open over night. Going into dealer on Thursday to see if it is the screen or not, they want to pour water on it first, not sure I fancy them doing this ie maybe better to spend the money.

Old Apr 28th, 2015, 21:49   #20
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63 View Post
Intersting though but not sure I fancy an interior looking like the rainbow :-)
I reckon top of screen in my case as water came in at middle of car right above gear lever, it it was roof rails then I'd expect it to come in by doors due to curve of roof/roof lining. Leaking shark fin I doubt due to volume of water that came in and car was parked nose down. I think the slush held onto the water longer hence so much coming in. Have been in under the wiper trim and its fine under there, car now in warehouse at work with all doors open over night. Going into dealer on Thursday to see if it is the screen or not, they want to pour water on it first, not sure I fancy them doing this ie maybe better to spend the money.
Fingers crossed the dealer can sort it out for you Peter. The fitter at National Windscreens here in Inverness had a good check around before they committed themselves that it was the screen. In the end he showed me he could actually push the top of the screen away from the bonding, not by much but obviously sufficient to allow water to drip into the car and run down the inside of the windscreen - my car is also normally parked facing downhill.