Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598876

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 17:22   #2541
Fimac

/Users/fmacdonald/Downloads/IMG_1489.HEIC

/Users/fmacdonald/Downloads/IMG_1482 2.HEIC

that may work !
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 07:40   #2542
Bican

I believe standalone values do not do the justice if EGR is not stuck, which in your case is not.
Please see my post here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2517
There are graphs with sticking EGR and new one.

Radovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimac View Post
SO, 2014 XC60 D4 - I have had a replacement egr at 50 k in warranty, the car has done now nearly 100k. No issues thus far, but i do only use the car on motorways or faster A roads 90%.
I use fuel additives, or snake oil......

I checked the accessible valve unde the egr today by slipping the black plastic cover off. The bottom of the cover has rust staining!

So I gave it a blast of WD to ensure nasty damp air stays away, and the mech was quite free.

I then checked with OBD using a maxilink at tickover -
My EGR PTC% was 26.7 to 34.1
EGR ERR% was -0.8 to 0.0

Does anyone know if that is normal please ...?

I have to decide if the car goes or stays......it's good otherwise but i will ship it out if I start getting issues!!
Bican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bican For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 10:27   #2543
BB60

Default EGR, EMAP pipe and inlet manifold

Hello.
I've made up my mind to remove and clean the EGR and cooler, EMAP pipe and inlet manifold on my D4 XC60. My attempt to reset the system to zero as it were, (some hope). As part of my research into this continued VEA problem, it occurs to me that if the oil vapour/exhaust carbon and water vapour can be reduced, then logically, the much discussed issues will at least take longer to reappear?
My questions are:
1. Do members consider a catch tank, or similar device to be feasible and safe in order to reduce oil vapor?
2. How about the question of reducing the airflow through the EGR by way of a rudimentary plate with a hole in it? It would still allow gases to flow theroretically at least. The hope would be that any system would still function as designed?
Your thoughts and comments
BB60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 14:49   #2544
BB60

This may be helpful for anyone considering going full DIY. I did as you may wish to read.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...55#post2806955
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 18:23   #2545
paulmaguire99

Angry XC60 2016 EGR engine check symbol keeps lighting

Is the EGR problem a Volvo recall issue?

It keeps coming on in my car no matter what I do. I wonder if its a faulty sensor?
paulmaguire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 20:36   #2546
BB60

I believe it's what Volvo term a safety recall. However, it appears to affect from, (reading on this forum and experience) the turbo, through the egr, the throttle body, into the inlet manifold and then the inlet tract and inlet valves.
I'd have either Volvo or someone with a Vida dice unit read your codes. Volvo is probably best due to the age of your vehicle. Be warned it's expensive if you're hit for the full cost. I had to have the egr and cooler replaced back in 2018 and I paid half of the cost for the egr valve.
My previous post has a link that you may find of interest.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 22:02   #2547
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmaguire99 View Post
Is the EGR problem a Volvo recall issue?

It keeps coming on in my car no matter what I do. I wonder if its a faulty sensor?
Wasn't a recall as it had no safety impact and didn't prevent the car being driven. Rectification work paid for by Volvo was carried out when the code for a blocked cooler was found by a dealer.

I doubt it's a sensor. Blockages are not uncommon. What have you actually done?
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 12:37   #2548
BB60

As an aside to this thread. Does anyone know how to measure the exhaust manifold air pressure using Vida dice please? This is the one mentioned in this thread, that is a banjo bolt connection at the rear of the engine, and that is known to block. I think it was part of Volvo recall R29948, possibly, maybe.
Also, I'd like to know what the standard operating parameters/range are/is on a normal, non blocked pipe?
Finally.
Does anyone know how to find out what ecu software/date is installed and what was actually affected by the update included in R29948?
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 08:25   #2549
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB60 View Post
As an aside to this thread. Does anyone know how to measure the exhaust manifold air pressure using Vida dice please? This is the one mentioned in this thread, that is a banjo bolt connection at the rear of the engine, and that is known to block. I think it was part of Volvo recall R29948, possibly, maybe.
Also, I'd like to know what the standard operating parameters/range are/is on a normal, non blocked pipe?
Finally.
Does anyone know how to find out what ecu software/date is installed and what was actually affected by the update included in R29948?
Can't help with VIDA DiCE, as I never had one. I measured EMAP using the Torque app and found it modulated between about 1 - 5 bar when driving, which at least proved that the link pipe wasn't blocked (which was my concern). I also measured the sensor value to be around 100KPa (1 bar) with the engine off to establish as best I could that the sensor was working ok. I documented this in a thread.

We discussed the R29948 recall in great length here... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296328 and I made this post which sums up what I had done... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=357

Some time after I made that post I had a service where a diagnostic test revealed that the IMRC mechanism ('swirl valve') inside my manifold was sticking and slow to respond (no warning lights though). I successfully argued that this should have been picked up during the recall work and (eventually!) Volvo UK agreed to fund the entire manifold replacement... the dealer also carried out a compression test (done by monitoring the starter motor current whilst cranking) to check that no intake valves were sooted up and leaking (they weren't). I had a great relationship with my dealer and the technical lead was happy to show me and discuss all their recall instruction paperwork which confirmed the suspicion that the associated software upgrade was to shut down affected cylinders if/when a drop in compression was detected. This was to prevent spit-back into the intake manifold, which was thought to be the source of the fire risk.

HTH?

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 13th, 2022 at 08:28.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 08:39   #2550
AngloScot
Master Member

just had egr done by Volvo , cost £900. No help from Volvo uk despite having full Volvo service history.
Very disappointed with Volvo and will now get car serviced by other.

I was thinking about buying a Xc40 but I don’t think I will buy Volvo again now.