Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life with my 960 Estate

Views : 14204

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 00:35   #151
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You have a fantastic pair of cars and I like reading this thread! Great to see you are getting the vehicles all up to standard!

I hope your cancer ops and various other treatments go well abs that you are very soon able to get up and about without incident!
I suspect the S80 will be sorted a few months ahead of me And my Goddess 960 whilst mechanically sound and free of rot is in need of some TLC including the drivers seat, must chase up Awesome Classic and Custom on that one they are about a month behind atm

Then it's a good valet and clay barring and she should be good to show as a runner and every day useable classic

Neither is going to be a trailer queen since both Goddess and Bertha are true Fat Slags at heart
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 01:07   #152
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ben - out of curiosity, is that price for the subframe from NVS supply only or fitted? Might pay to make sure before you suddenly find there's an argument over payment!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 01:35   #153
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ben - out of curiosity, is that price for the subframe from NVS supply only or fitted? Might pay to make sure before you suddenly find there's an argument over payment!
That's supply only another £140 plus vat for fitting..

I had a long and interesting talk with Lakes (Wyboston on the A1) and shorter but informative chat with the parts peeps at Clive Brooks who gave me the part number and confirmed the pricing and that the subframe is unique to the V8.

It may have been a PITA of a week so far but progress on me and the cars is being made.

If I do end up nailed to a perch when I should be pushing up the daisies it will be nice to leave two big beautiful fat slag Volvos behind
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 01:49   #154
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
That's supply only another £140 plus vat for fitting..

I had a long and interesting talk with Lakes (Wyboston on the A1) and shorter but informative chat with the parts peeps at Clive Brooks who gave me the part number and confirmed the pricing and that the subframe is unique to the V8.

It may have been a PITA of a week so far but progress on me and the cars is being made.

If I do end up nailed to a perch when I should be pushing up the daisies it will be nice to leave two big beautiful fat slag Volvos behind
That's a very good price for fitting! I need to replace the rear front subframe on my own gold beastie (there are two front subframes, a rear one and a front one and a longtitudinal link between them on it) and based on the work involved, i expect it to be 3-4 hours work for a fully equipped garage - i'm doing it myself so expect it will be 3-4 days work instead.
Yours sounds like a couple of hours work which is a lot less!

Hopefully you won't end up nailed to a daisy or swimming with the perches anytime soon and all will be well, an S80 V8 is still on my lottery list but my winnings need to improve first - last win covered 8 gallons of BP Ultimate unleaded and that was it!
That said i should have a nice chunk of change coming my way in about 15 months time so maybe i'll treat myself then although if i do it will be a toss up between an S80 V8 and a Lexus LS400 Mk1 although the thought of a respray for my gold beastie is still contending with those ideas!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 08:16   #155
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
That's a very good price for fitting! I need to replace the rear front subframe on my own gold beastie (there are two front subframes, a rear one and a front one and a longtitudinal link between them on it) and based on the work involved, i expect it to be 3-4 hours work for a fully equipped garage - i'm doing it myself so expect it will be 3-4 days work instead.
Yours sounds like a couple of hours work which is a lot less!

Hopefully you won't end up nailed to a daisy or swimming with the perches anytime soon and all will be well, an S80 V8 is still on my lottery list but my winnings need to improve first - last win covered 8 gallons of BP Ultimate unleaded and that was it!
That said i should have a nice chunk of change coming my way in about 15 months time so maybe i'll treat myself then although if i do it will be a toss up between an S80 V8 and a Lexus LS400 Mk1 although the thought of a respray for my gold beastie is still contending with those ideas!
Dave,

you may want to consider this idea again that Lakes (Wyboston) think it is an easier job than I or others did and have apparently already sent a 200 owner in the UK one to fit.

They have T6 twin turbos selling to us RWD nutters who want to try fitting that transvere engine in their classic Volvo!

Oh it appeals to me but I have enough Volvo's in my life right now and would need to level the front garden to get some parking for a third!

I wouldn't want to "spoil" the Goddess by putting a short block six in her.. although I wonder if you could get the turbos to fit her longer block without butchering the bonnet line?

Anyway just taken my second does of Poison whilst playing Poison from Alice Cooper now for my "normal" medication with my fringers tingling again with nins and peedles it's hard to trype so I must away and get the tyre pressue monitor out for my ambulance

Last edited by nemesisthewarlock; Jan 20th, 2022 at 08:29.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 13:03   #156
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Dave,

you may want to consider this idea again that Lakes (Wyboston) think it is an easier job than I or others did and have apparently already sent a 200 owner in the UK one to fit.

They have T6 twin turbos selling to us RWD nutters who want to try fitting that transvere engine in their classic Volvo!

Oh it appeals to me but I have enough Volvo's in my life right now and would need to level the front garden to get some parking for a third!

I wouldn't want to "spoil" the Goddess by putting a short block six in her.. although I wonder if you could get the turbos to fit her longer block without butchering the bonnet line?

Anyway just taken my second does of Poison whilst playing Poison from Alice Cooper now for my "normal" medication with my fringers tingling again with nins and peedles it's hard to trype so I must away and get the tyre pressue monitor out for my ambulance
That may well be correct on a Volvo Ben. Not on my gold beastie though.

You probably could fit turbos to your existing engine in your 960 but with all the other mods you'd need to make sure it runs right, i doubt it would be a worthwhile conversion. If you'd bought the car with no engine that would be different, just drop a T6 in, sort the exhaust and engine management, enjoy. With your existing engine you'd need to drop the compression ratio a fair bit and possibly alter the engine management.

Have fun inspecting your ambulance, should amuse the crew if nowt else!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 14:31   #157
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
That may well be correct on a Volvo Ben. Not on my gold beastie though.

You probably could fit turbos to your existing engine in your 960....

Have fun inspecting your ambulance, should amuse the crew if nowt else!
I would never change the Goddesses engine unless it dies... Now she's running sweet as I couldn't be happier with her mechanicals

Funny thing is it was the same ambulance and same crew so we had a cheer of relief when we passed the blowout spot and actually made it onto the M11

Anyhow got 1.25 hours left on my second pint then an hour to check for any side effects then I will be examining the ambulance that takes me home around 4pm it looks like....
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 17:32   #158
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I would never change the Goddesses engine unless it dies... Now she's running sweet as I couldn't be happier with her mechanicals

Funny thing is it was the same ambulance and same crew so we had a cheer of relief when we passed the blowout spot and actually made it onto the M11

Anyhow got 1.25 hours left on my second pint then an hour to check for any side effects then I will be examining the ambulance that takes me home around 4pm it looks like....
Crikey, they took you on the M11? Where on earth were they taking you for your oil change then?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 18:05   #159
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Crikey, they took you on the M11? Where on earth were they taking you for your oil change then?
Addenbrookes in Cambridge, great hospital, fantastic staff, amazing service, tea on tap and biscuits too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 19:54   #160
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Addenbrookes in Cambridge, great hospital, fantastic staff, amazing service, tea on tap and biscuits too!
Seems a bit of an odd route but presumably they have worked it out.

Glad you approve of Addenbrookes, i haven't had such a positive experience there but the Royal Papworth was good (aka the Starship Enterprise) except i went there for diagnostic confirmation of one condition and found not only did i have that but another and left with an unexpected "free gift" of what i believe was a mild dose of the Kung Flu. That said the staff were excellent, no tea/coffee or biccies though!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: