Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil level recalibration

Views : 1671

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 00:54   #1
Chrisaaaaa

Question Oil level recalibration

Just had my 2018 SPA XC60 diesel serviced, I gave them the usual warning not to fill it past 3/4 because of the overfill issue.

Last couple of times, no problem, know the problem, and comply.

This time the virtual oil gauge says it is full, so before I go ack and remonstrate have Volvo actually done something sensible like changing the volume of oil added at service and recalibrated the oil gauge?

I know it is a long shot - but just maybe volvo cared a little.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:22   #2
Chrisaaaaa

Garage said that after the service when it has been filled properly, they tell the car that it is at the correct level so the gauge is adjusted read full even though it is not full.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 08:40   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

A true 'calibration' is not performed, it's merely a reset to ensure the guage is reading full after a service. Otherwise it would continue to give the pre-service level indication until 30km had been covered, which would obviously be confusing to the owner.

If a 'headroom' is required in the sump to allow for rising levels then the gauge will simply take account of this as - unlike a physical dipstick - the eDispstick response can (and is) tweaked with software updates when the VEA oil loading volume requirements are updated.

When I first got my Volvo I obsessed over the eDipstick. I only trusted it after running diagnostics to show the sump level sensor readings (in mm) and discussing it in depth with the technical lead at my local dealership (who genuinely seemed thrilled that someone was showing an interest!). After three years of ownership I gave up accessing the gauge and simply relied on the 'add 0.5L' warning message to let me know a top-up was due. I never once had an overfull message and will continue to believe that diesel getting into the sump is NOT something that should ever be expected. I know that most people will blame multiple aborted regen cycles but I'm convinced it's a sign of a dribbling injector.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 12:39   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaaaaa View Post
Just had my 2018 SPA XC60 diesel serviced, I gave them the usual warning not to fill it past 3/4 because of the overfill issue.

Last couple of times, no problem, know the problem, and comply.

This time the virtual oil gauge says it is full, so before I go ack and remonstrate have Volvo actually done something sensible like changing the volume of oil added at service and recalibrated the oil gauge?

I know it is a long shot - but just maybe volvo cared a little.
It should be filled to the correct level which is exactly 5 litres to be added at an oil change , This engine does not have problems with oil level rising , that story goes back 15 years and only applied to the old engines !
Do you know if they filled it with 5 litres ? I hope they used the correct 0W/20 Oil as per volvo specification VCC RBS0-2AE
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 21:01   #5
Chrisaaaaa

Question

They stung me for 5.2l or Castrol Edge 0-20W so I guess about right.

Mine is a 2018 XC60, and it had this symptom once, hence always telling them to 3/4 fill it, they have not argued the point.

In this case I have extracted a waiver on the cost of correcting the level if the problem occurs.

How far do I need to drive for it to initiate and complete a DPF regen?
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 21:25   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaaaaa View Post
They stung me for 5.2l or Castrol Edge 0-20W so I guess about right.

Mine is a 2018 XC60, and it had this symptom once, hence always telling them to 3/4 fill it, they have not argued the point.

In this case I have extracted a waiver on the cost of correcting the level if the problem occurs.

How far do I need to drive for it to initiate and complete a DPF regen?
It happens approximately once per tank of fuel , it takes care of itself very well you don't need to worry about it. And if your journey ends, it knows where it is and will contitue and finish on the next journey or the one after.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 16:13   #7
Voltvo

@Zebster
A bit off topic, but I can't send PMs yet.
Do you know SpeedyGee from HondaKarma?
Thanks
Voltvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 17:22   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltvo View Post
@Zebster
A bit off topic, but I can't send PMs yet.
Do you know SpeedyGee from HondaKarma?
Thanks
Hi, yes I do know him and we are still in contact even though the forum has sadly died. I'll now PM you my email address so you can pass your query onto me and I'll forward it on.

Edit - message sent

Last edited by Zebster; Jan 23rd, 2022 at 17:25.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 17:42   #9
Pitvar

Just had the oil overfilled issue on a B4 XC60 - not impressed - tests all done and oil filled back to the max - oil and filter done under warranty and tested engine compression (IIRC) and injectors and told it's down to short journeys... identical mileage and journeys in 3 previous diesel Volvos (D5, D4 and D5 auto) with no such issues.
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf, oil level, service