Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Start/Stop

Views : 1155

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 17:35   #1
Davet49

Default V90 Start/Stop

My wife's V90 displays the 'Start/stop system requires servicing' message. Having read the forums, I have looked at the small 12V battery and found that it's voltage was about 9.5 volts, so I have taken it out and re-charged it. This eliminates the message for a few days, but eventually it comes back. So, either the small 12V battery is not holding its charge or it isn't being charged. The main 12V battery is fine. The car is a 69-plate. We always turns off 'start/stop' when we are driving because we just find it irritating. Is it possible that if this is turned off, then the small 12V battery is not being charged ie disabling s/s also turns off charging of the small 12V battery?
It just seems unlikely that the small battery has reached the end of its life after just over 2 years.
Davet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 20:39   #2
Mytholmroyd60

Mine was replaced under warranty after 23 months.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 21:45   #3
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytholmroyd60 View Post
Mine was replaced under warranty after 23 months.
I dont understand why the problem occur with those batteries what is causing this problem that they are not charged if they are not used by switched odd S/S system.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 14:47   #4
halkynhymer

Hi dave, my MY20 V90CC has a bit of a love hate relationship with the stop start - the dealer said the battery wasn't fully charged - I was told that if I charged the whole system ie via the starter battery terminal, that it would help. Can't say it did - sometimes after a long run it will suddenly start working again, but then in what I would describe as cold conditions, it works straight away within a couple of miles when I stop at the first junction. My wife's MY17 XC60 stop start works fine, albeit hers is a manual so I have to select neutral and release the clutch pedal. Maybe a new battery will do it if the dealer will fit one for you under warranty?
halkynhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 16:09   #5
scbamber

Here's an interesting post from the USA on this topic: link
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 18:03   #6
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Which battery charger will you recommend to charge battery in my v90
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 15:26   #7
Baconbaronen

As some of the others suggest, put a new battery in, it sounds like a faulty battery. Yes its almost new, but even a batch of new batteries can have some that are faulty.
Baconbaronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 16:05   #8
Davet49

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I am taking the car to my local independent mechanic tomorrow morning who has been servicing our cars for 20-ish years. I will discuss things with him and give you feedback.
Dave
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 13:45   #9
Davet49

It seems that the small 12V battery is not holding its charge, so start/stop is not operational. But, because the V90 has 'sensed' that the small battery is not holding its charge, it does not charge it, hence making the situation worse! The good news is that apparently my wife's car is still under warranty so we will be taking it to a Volvo dealer next and asking to have the small battery replaced under warranty. More updates as and when that happens.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 12:53   #10
Davet49

The car went to the local volvo dealer yesterday who confirmed that it was still under warranty. We collected it this morning and they have replaced the support battery. We shall have to see how long this one lasts.