Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

boot struts

Views : 1053

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 11:38   #11
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Rudi

The latest pair that I fitted were also recently bought from PartsMonster.
I looked at the markings and they are not original Volvo. I can't remember what they said, but it sounded familiar. Can't read it now that they are fitted.

The tailgate rises as I think it should, no need to slow it down as it reaches the top. Needs a slight "lift" to get it started.

Maybe slackening those 13mm bolts and adjusting the bracket would solve the fast lift problem?

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:01   #12
400-ascona
Premier Member

SGS in Derby may be able to rebuild the original ones. No idea how much, but that's what they started out doing, and still do alongside their tool sales.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:21   #13
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Cheers Guys.
I will price the genuine one vs the generic and take it from there.
Got some generic on an S40 and are borderline dangerous.
They take off at such a pace if the bootlid slips from your hand,hit the end stops and bounces the bootlid half closed.
The original ones have dampening in the end of the stroke so effectively slows the strut down to combat this issue.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:28   #14
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Update.
Just priced the genuine and £120 for a pair discounted.
Spurious it's going to be then.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 14:13   #15
Alpine

cheers all for your help on this, both struts fitted now using Steve's method us undoing the two bolts on the ball nearest the front of the car. Can't believe I didn't spot that when I did it yesterday. They were 12mm bolts.

Mine were from Partsmonster as per the link, it raises fairly slowly and then holds it open. Certainly doesn't go fast, I'd think if it did maybe the new struts were over pressurised?

Partsmonster ones say they are made in Sweden on the casing
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 15:58   #16
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
£6.50 would have sorted it. My 16YO did ours. He found a pair via eBay. These £13 cheapie-struts catapulted the thing, such that the tail-gate fires open so fast it 'bounces'.

He took one off again. We've now got one new, one old on there. Now it's perfect. One for spares.

When the 'new' weakens, we'll go from there.

These...
That is exactly what i did and worked a treat. I needed one for another car and swapped one good one for a used one off the other car. Now both cars boot opens as it should, without bounce!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 11:43   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

The rest of you do seem to be making a meal of it. OK, I won't claim credit, but the boy had it done in 10 mins, and another five to put one 'old' on there. Not sure why you'd worry about them being Volvo original. I suppose the purists amongst us might, we simply wanted it to work.

A strut is a strut, is a strut?
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 13:03   #18
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
The rest of you do seem to be making a meal of it. OK, I won't claim credit, but the boy had it done in 10 mins, and another five to put one 'old' on there. Not sure why you'd worry about them being Volvo original. I suppose the purists amongst us might, we simply wanted it to work.

A strut is a strut, is a strut?
On the saloons there are different struts with varying power depending on if you have a spoiler or not. An 850R rear wing does weigh a bit to be fair so I was a sad git and looked up the correct part number then matched it with an aftermarket supplier, Meyle I think.
Don't know if there are different spoiler/no spoiler struts for the estates but if it opens the boot and stops it dropping on my head then that's fine with me.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 09:12   #19
CosmicBike

I've just replaced mine with generic ones from PartsMonster on eBay, they work OK so far and the tailgate no longer shuts itself. How long they'll last is anyones guess. Now I need to find some sensibly priced ones for the dog guard, not over £20 each for Volvo ones...
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote