Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Door Lock

Views : 1955

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 19:41   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLastic View Post
Update: I've finally managed to "break into" my car.
After several attempts, over several days, totting up to several hours, trying this and that - today after having a lightbulb moment, I managed to get in inside 5 minutes of trying.
.....so ****ed off at myself for not thinking of it sooner.

I won't say how I did it here, for security reasons, but I can confirm that the "bent coathanger" technique will not work.....Volvo's design of the doors, frames & door handles is too clever & secure ( Well done Volvo !!)

Thankyou Lizard for that info....
...my next job is to get the fobs recoded, as the manual door unlocking mechanism is fubar.
Do you know if a Volvo independent can do fob recoding, or is it main dealers only ??
Give GRN a call , not sure if they can but worth the £ of a call Tel: 0121 565 1613

Email : info@grnmotors.co.uk

HQ Address
180A Oldbury Road
Smethwick
West Midlands
B66 1NH

Failing that Paul Rigby Erdington as a main dealer

Volvo Birmingham
Chester Road, Erdington, Birmingham, West Midlands, B24 0QY
0121 382 1222
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 00:59   #12
LucyLastic

Thanks Andy.

GRN seems like a nice guy...but cannot recode fobs.

I spoke to Rigby, Stourbridge.....not the most helpful people - they pretty much refused to even consider recoding the fobs, but would have been happy to sell me 2 new ones for £350 +

Spoke to the dealer in Wolverhampton - they will do full diagnostic & ECU reload (?) - apparently this might reset the fob codes, but not guaranteed to work.....for £160.
That sounds like a better option to me.
LucyLastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 09:43   #13
PNM

Try hallam and sutherns in Swadlincote, they might be able to help.

http://www.hallamandsuthernssaabservices.co.uk/
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 16:11   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Andy.

GRN seems like a nice guy...but cannot recode fobs.

I spoke to Rigby, Stourbridge.....not the most helpful people - they pretty much refused to even consider recoding the fobs, but would have been happy to sell me 2 new ones for £350 +

Spoke to the dealer in Wolverhampton - they will do full diagnostic & ECU reload (?) - apparently this might reset the fob codes, but not guaranteed to work.....for £160.
That sounds like a better option to me.
didnt know if benny could do that, but for any other servicing/work you need, Yes i recomend him, and im a Fussy so&so who touches my cars !

id try the erdington branch,, they sound a bit (lot) better than the stourbridge version !
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 16:04   #15
LucyLastic

** Update ** .....for others experiencing similar issues.

Just spent 4.5 hours & £210 on diagnostics at Volvo main dealer.
No fault found either with the car or the fobs.
New ECM & CEM software installed, fobs still not working.
I'm awaiting a call back from a master-tech as to whether the receiver could be faulty.
Meantime, their advice....."buy new fobs"

As far as the door lock goes, I they can sell me a new lockset (driver's door & glovebox) for £100-ish.....I forgot to ask the price of a lock control unit, but I doubt that's the issue as it locks/unlocks fine using the switch inside...
So, my next job is to pop the barrel out, and take the door card off to see if I can find & remedy the manual unlocking problem. Been looking for my trim removal tools for 2 weeks, gave up & bought some new ones today.

As a side note, the diagnostic pulled up a shed load of old fault codes & one current..... throttle pedal potentiometer faulty signal.....which explains the random, intermittent loss if power. Does anyone know if a replacement needs to be coded/calibrated by Volvo, or is it plug & play ??
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 19:34   #16
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
** Update ** .....for others experiencing similar issues.

Just spent 4.5 hours & £210 on diagnostics at Volvo main dealer.
No fault found either with the car or the fobs.
New ECM & CEM software installed, fobs still not working.
I'm awaiting a call back from a master-tech as to whether the receiver could be faulty.
Meantime, their advice....."buy new fobs"

As far as the door lock goes, I they can sell me a new lockset (driver's door & glovebox) for £100-ish.....I forgot to ask the price of a lock control unit, but I doubt that's the issue as it locks/unlocks fine using the switch inside...
So, my next job is to pop the barrel out, and take the door card off to see if I can find & remedy the manual unlocking problem. Been looking for my trim removal tools for 2 weeks, gave up & bought some new ones today.

As a side note, the diagnostic pulled up a shed load of old fault codes & one current..... throttle pedal potentiometer faulty signal.....which explains the random, intermittent loss if power. Does anyone know if a replacement needs to be coded/calibrated by Volvo, or is it plug & play ??
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...throttle+pedal

any use with whatevers up with yours?
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 19:08   #17
LucyLastic

Default Update - Good News at last

Andy d

thanks for posting that link

excuse the long delay in responding.....
Just after my last post I had a very apologetic call from the Volvo dealer - it seems they uploaded the wrong CEM software and asked me to return the car at my convenience. They also thought that the intermittent power issues thought to be related to the fly-by-wire throttle were more likely to be a CEM issue than a pedal/potentiometer fault.

Due to work stuff I couldn't get back there until today.....after less than an hour I now have functioning remote locking !!
I am a happy camper again !
I'll have to see if the throttle issue is fixed, but the rough/lumpy idle was a little better on the drive home.

To anyone else in the West Midlands having issues, I highly recommend Brindley Volvo.....very helpful, polite staff & they managed to fix the problem I presented them......and the coffee isn't bad either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LucyLastic For This Useful Post: