Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer nozzles

Views : 1473

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 11:56   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Replacements are inexpensive.
Okay. I think I’ll try replacements.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 13:22   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

check the t piece under the bonnet they sometimes loose there bottom caps also pop the washer pump out of the res and check the pump screen/filter is not blocked with slime both are common problems with poor washer jet performance
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 15:27   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

When I disconnected the pipe from the check valve & pressed the stalk inside the car to activate the washers, the flow was decent. Yet when I connected the pipe back to the valve, the flow was poor.

My local main dealer didn’t really know what I was talking about. I told them I wanted the check valves, but they said they only sell the washer nozzles & check valves as one item. I didn’t believe that was true & got the impression that the chap I spoke to wasn’t really interested. £64 for the washer nozzles & check valves! I didn’t bother discussing it with them further & decided to try elsewhere. They really haven’t got a clue.

In the end, I rang Stoneacre Volvo Newcastle - They have an Ebay store too & sell parts at trade price. I’ve used them in the past on many occasions & they’re very helpful & reasonably priced. I’ve ordered some new check valves from them & they knew exactly what I was talking about, but my local main dealer didn’t have a clue.

I’m awaiting delivery of the new check valves, but they should be here for weekend. £18 for a two-way check valve & a three-way one. I didn’t have to buy new nozzles for £64 a pair!

Interestingly enough, I found out that my car has heated nozzles (according to Stoneacre’s system anyway). I wasn’t 100% sure whether it did or didn’t, but funnily enough, I did notice in the cold weather that steam was coming off the windscreen when I sprayed the washers. I thought the glass was warm because of the heater.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 11th, 2022 at 15:47.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 19:10   #14
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I hope the new valves sort it, but to be honest my money is on the nozzles!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 23:33   #15
callisr

I too have been experiencing similar issues, that began back in October, following refilling the washer bottle. I replaced the check valves - no change. I soaked and cleaned the nozzles - no change.
The flow from the hose was strong when disconnected from the nozzles etc.
I swapped the pipes over on the pump so that the front washers operated when the stalk was set to wash the rear window but still no / poor spray from the front nozzles.
When I originally refilled the washer bottle I noticed it took ages to fill ie the filler neck of the bottle filled up then gurgled down slowly into the bottle.
I unbolted the fixing for the washer bottle when I refilled the bottle again last week and raised it as I poured screen wash in. It flowed in perfectly so I fitted a spacer to lift the neck up.
Since then my washers have worked perfectly!
This may be of no use to anyone but it’s the strange tale of my washer woes!

Rich
callisr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to callisr For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 15:04   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
I hope the new valves sort it, but to be honest my money is on the nozzles!
New pressure valves arrived (two way & three way). I fitted them both & the pressure coming to the nozzles is definitely better. However, you were right… its the nozzle (one is poor). The passenger one sprays like a fan/V shape as it should, but the driver’s side nozzle sprays in one spot. Its not just a dribble coming from the driver’s side now, so its better than nothing & the windscreen can be cleared.

Volvo told me my nozzles were heated & quoted £33 plus VAT each. Do you or anyone know any cheaper aftermarket alternatives, or a way of cleaning the existing? Seems a lot for a piece of plastic!

How do I change direction of the water from the nozzles? The passenger one is partially spraying the windscreen & the rest of the fluid is thrown over the passenger wing mirror!

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 18th, 2022 at 16:14.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 16:10   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi all,

My washer nozzles aren’t working very good. When I pull the stalk inside the car to activate them, only a small trickle seems to spray onto the windscreen. Its barely enough to clean the window.

- The reservoir has plenty of fluid.
- The washer pump is working, as I can hear it buzzing when I pull the stalk.
- Headlight washers work fine.

I’m thinking I have a blockage somewhere. I tried cleaning the nozzles with a pin & it made no difference. I checked under the bonnet & there’s no loose hoses on the check valves that attach to the nozzles.

Any solutions are welcome. My car is a P3 shape S80.

Thanks.
It will be the nozzles or the valve where the 3 pipes meet on the underside of the bonnet ..
Caused by using cheap fluid which crystallises in the valve and jets especially so on heated jets .
The cure ? Use genuine volvo fluid which is spirit based and leaves no deposits whatsoever. It also stops bacteria build up .

Last edited by Clan; Jan 18th, 2022 at 16:20.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 16:14   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
eith the nozzles or the valve where the 3 pipes meet on the underside of the bonnet ..
Caused by using cheap fluid which crystalises in the valve and jets especially so on heated jets .
The cure ? Use genuine volvo fuild which is spirit based and leaves no deposits whatsovever. It also stops bacteria build up .
I’ve changed the valves… helped a bit, but not much. One nozzle isn’t working properly (driver’s side), but the other one is fine.

I’ll try using the Volvo washer fluid in future.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 11:05   #19
Elninio1999

Got the exact same problem as the OP.

I've got the nozzles off just now and taken the valves off too. Are the valves worth cleaning in vinegar like the nozzles or is it a case of if the valves are blocked they are knackered?

If that was the case, are universal ones suitable or is it a Volvo specific part requirement?

Thanks
Elninio1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 18:05   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elninio1999 View Post
Got the exact same problem as the OP.

I've got the nozzles off just now and taken the valves off too. Are the valves worth cleaning in vinegar like the nozzles or is it a case of if the valves are blocked they are knackered?

If that was the case, are universal ones suitable or is it a Volvo specific part requirement?

Thanks
Some nozzles are heated. Usually there’s wiring attached to them if they are. I’ve not tried the universal ones, so I can’t comment on whether they’ll the same as the Volvo ones.

Its worth cleaning the valves, but a new set of valves is about £20 from Volvo. You’ll need a two way & a three way valve (two way goes on the driver’s side & three way goes on the passenger). The nozzles aren’t cheap… they’re about £50 for a set.