Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hoping to be a new V70 owner

Views : 1047

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 13:06   #11
Dean Bryant

Dont worry about the manual box. Mine is doing well enough at over 570k miles. Just had 3rd clutch and flywheel but not complaining about that.
1992 440 Turbo.
Dean Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Bryant For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 15:35   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Just for clarity, think that's a typo! Should be aren't...
My mistake. Yes, a typo!

D5’s aren’t economical around town. Then again, big cars with Diesel engines won’t be in stop start traffic or tootling to the shops down the road doing 20-30mph. Its not what they’re made for.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 15:43   #13
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bryant View Post
Dont worry about the manual box. Mine is doing well enough at over 570k miles. Just had 3rd clutch and flywheel but not complaining about that.
That's the wonder of Volvo.

My concern is just that the OP's budget is quite tight, and the immediate need for a new clutch and DMF might not be welcome.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 10:52   #14
uknowiama

Keep to the 5 cyclinder engines would be my advice.

D3 - as mentioned - 2.0L 5 cyclinder - pretty torque engine for shifting the weight around.

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uknowiama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 21:21   #15
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I have a D5 215 bhp unit raised to 230 bhp with a Polestar optimisation software tweak and I can say that it is an awe inspiring engine. It seems unburstable and with more torque and bhp than I am ever likely to need. It has a sports mode on the auto gearbox but frankly with the engine's power output starting quite low in the rev range, I never need to use the sports setting. I'm sure that it uses more fuel than lesser Volvo engines but coming from V6 petrol engines, the fuel consumption seems wonderful. It makes a growling sound on hard acceleration and it has a diesel rumble on tickover but once on the move with minimal throttle use, it is unobtrusive. Mine has only clocked 60K miles in 10 years but I'm told that quarter of a million is easily attainable and that the engine remains reliable. Doing the maintenance and the engine will probably outlive me!. But I am ancient!
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 18:24   #16
Scotty848

Default Bought one

Hi all,

Again thank you for your advice. I’ve gone for a high mile, 2 owner 09 D5 with 180k on the clock, with 14 main dealer services in 11 years, cambelt by dealer too. It’s just had a front suspension refresh and has been really well looked after. Every oil change was bang on time. Hopefully get a couple of years out of it with anything further being a bonus. Looking forward to the smoothness and I’ve bought an auto based on the advice here and that the box was serviced on time. Very excited to pick it up.

I’ve taken my time and been very picky. Just hope I’ve done the right thing. Glad I didn’t get a manual 1.6 now.
Scotty848 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty848 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 12:43   #17
Elmer Fudd

180k miles - thats not even run in! My 2012 D5 is now on close to 240k miles and runs as good as new. I do a fair proportion of motorway miles and mine has averaged a genuine 46mpg since I bought it 210k miles ago - best car I've ever had, so comfortable and apart from issues with a bearing in the alternator it has never needed anything other than normal service items - hope you enjoy it!
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, v70