Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Volvo V70 Estate - Diesel or Petrol?

Views : 1471

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:31   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Not sure what ths thread is doing in the P80 section. The OP looks to V70 2007-2016 models. Eh? However....

Diesel or Petrol?
Don't be daft. neither. CNG. If it's cost per mile you're after, and it must be or you'd not ask the question. If the aim is long-game high-mile use methane is unbeatable. Very rare cars these days, Volvo made the first factory fits. It's not that you'll see anymore than 30ish on petrol, it's that you fill for 20% of the price.

Thus on that logic 50mpg - via a diesel - is either good or truly dreadful. As our Tesla brethren, Homefill. The rub, and there's always a rub with alternative fuels:

1) The learning curve is vastly steep.
2) The RHD cars are the rarest Volvos in the world. (not that this makes them valuable). Most are ex UK press-fleet cars.
3) The set-up costs are near a very decent used car.
4) You won't be sleeping in your V70, the space is required for the factory tank. You can afford a B&B/Hotel when you get there.
5) You need to drive it. If you run 'big girl's blouse miles', likely not viable.
6) If you lack self-belief, and spend your money on registration plates, this is not for you - you won't like the choices.
7) There is no 'served on a platter' set-up.
8) Angelina Jolie will have you down as some kind of nut-job, and she won't be seen dead in it.
9) You'll struggle to insure anything that's not factory-fit.

The upside, the fanbois will still consider you a dinosaur, yet you'll absolutely THRASH any Prius/ Tesla champagne-drinking Guardian reader for range and cost per mile. These car 'if looked after' do galactic miles. I threw my last one away at 420K, it had more in it, and looked like a shed. I found a very tidy ex British Gas management example for £1500 thus swapped. 600K is not unheard of.

For a multitude of reasons, mostly electronics/spares prices and corrosion, it's doubtful anything made after 2005 will last anything near that. Thus 2007-2016 models, why worry? You're tacitly agreed to throw it away anyway.

There isn't much difference in the electronics architecture between P3 and later P2 cars. They are both full multiplex, and both have pretty much the same number of functions and modules to manage. Any electronic failure that might notionally affect a P3 car is equally likely to appear on a P2.

The very late P3 cars have a little more electronics when they went Sensus, but a scroll through this very forum shows little in the way of evidence that these are problematic.

So no real issue with electronics reliability between the generations.

Ditto parts prices. Everything from mudflaps piston rings is priced very closely between P2 and P3 cars, from both Volvo and aftermarket suppliers. The one advantage the P2 may genuinely hold here is that there are more dead ones by virtue of sheer age, so used part supply is greater. Having said that, a quick scroll through everones favourite auction site shows that used P3 parts are not exactly in short supply, with everything from wings to sump plugs freely available.

So no real issue with new or used parts supply between the generations.

Comapring P2 and P3 generation cars, easy to do as I own examples of each, I can see no evidence that a P3 is any more likely to corrode. The oldest P3's date from late 2007 are now in their 15th year, and we are not seeing any excessive corrosion when compared to P2 cars when they were the same age.

So no real issue with corrosion between the generations.

The P3 rides a little better, handles slightly sharper, has a slightly bigger boot, and an expanded choice of engines. The P2 in still a comfy beast, has great seats, and is liable to be cheaper. If the OP buys on condition he will doubtless be very happy whether he finds a P2 or P3. There is little in it for the used car buyer, and these whispers that one rusts more than the other, or has more electronics so will be inherently more unreliable ia not being borne out by the experiences of owners.

We need to stick to evidence and facts, not urban lore.

CNG is a problem in the UK. There are only 7 in the UK licenced to sell CNG as a road fuel. LPG fares rather better, but availability is shrinking at the rate of about 2 filling stations a week. There are roughly 1800 remaining across the UK, but with 100 or more disappearing a year its going to become a bit bum squeaky before too long.

The only thing I would say that genuinely can make the P3 a pain over the P2 are the small bore PSA-Ford engines. They're fine when they work, but they are prone to issues and do not appear as durable as the Volvo engine options. There is also little incentive for a buyer to choose one - if one wants a 4 pot Ford engine, then buy one attached to a Ford. Why pay Volvo prices for a Ford ownership experience?

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jan 14th, 2022 at 10:34.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 11:15   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
There isn't much difference in the electronics architecture between P3 and later P2 cars. They are both full multiplex, and both have pretty much the same number of functions and modules to manage. Any electronic failure that might notionally affect a P3 car is equally likely to appear on a P2.

The very late P3 cars have a little more electronics when they went Sensus, but a scroll through this very forum shows little in the way of evidence that these are problematic.

So no real issue with electronics reliability between the generations.

Ditto parts prices. Everything from mudflaps piston rings is priced very closely between P2 and P3 cars, from both Volvo and aftermarket suppliers. The one advantage the P2 may genuinely hold here is that there are more dead ones by virtue of sheer age, so used part supply is greater. Having said that, a quick scroll through everones favourite auction site shows that used P3 parts are not exactly in short supply, with everything from wings to sump plugs freely available.

So no real issue with new or used parts supply between the generations.

Comapring P2 and P3 generation cars, easy to do as I own examples of each, I can see no evidence that a P3 is any more likely to corrode. The oldest P3's date from late 2007 are now in their 15th year, and we are not seeing any excessive corrosion when compared to P2 cars when they were the same age.

So no real issue with corrosion between the generations.

The P3 rides a little better, handles slightly sharper, has a slightly bigger boot, and an expanded choice of engines. The P2 in still a comfy beast, has great seats, and is liable to be cheaper. If the OP buys on condition he will doubtless be very happy whether he finds a P2 or P3. There is little in it for the used car buyer, and these whispers that one rusts more than the other, or has more electronics so will be inherently more unreliable ia not being borne out by the experiences of owners.

We need to stick to evidence and facts, not urban lore.

CNG is a problem in the UK. There are only 7 in the UK licenced to sell CNG as a road fuel. LPG fares rather better, but availability is shrinking at the rate of about 2 filling stations a week. There are roughly 1800 remaining across the UK, but with 100 or more disappearing a year its going to become a bit bum squeaky before too long.

The only thing I would say that genuinely can make the P3 a pain over the P2 are the small bore PSA-Ford engines. They're fine when they work, but they are prone to issues and do not appear as durable as the Volvo engine options. There is also little incentive for a buyer to choose one - if one wants a 4 pot Ford engine, then buy one attached to a Ford. Why pay Volvo prices for a Ford ownership experience?
The P3 is a bigger car too… there’s more leg room in the back.

The P3 Volvo V70 & S80 is based on the Ford platform in some way or another. The majority of the engines aren’t, but the underpinnings of the cars themselves are. You’ll see “FoMoCo” stamped all over the place.

I dare to say it as a P3 owner myself, but a P3 Volvo is a Ford with a Volvo engine… the P2 is a “true” Volvo. Some P3 models are even more Ford based with the PSA engines. Volvo had added their stamp to the interior, as its much more luxurious than a Ford. P3’s are still fantastic cars in my opinion, but the issues that do arise are usually related to the link between Ford. For example, early worn suspension parts, washer reservoir pump/the washer system.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 14th, 2022 at 11:38.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 11:11   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I would say, you will enjoy owning a P2 more because it is a car that had various traits which you must adapt to.

You get a solid, "heavy duty" feeling vehicle, that WILL do huge mileage. But...it has certain character traits/flaws that you must learn to deal with. For example the turning circle. Or the "roll back" style handbrake. Or the exceptionally comfortable LARGE seats that are shoehorned into a cramped interior.

It feels like a car designed by a person who did their best but ran out of time/money to correct certain things. Whereas the Ford era Volvos feel like generic cars, designed to look inoffensive and be as easy to drive as possible.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 16:50   #14
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi

I hope Towerblock comes back to visit this forum

Here's something for inspiration!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325015343476

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 20:54   #15
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi

I hope Towerblock comes back to visit this forum

Here's something for inspiration!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325015343476

HTH
Steve
Well, as it is listed in Jaywick, that is just a normal mobile home.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 13:54   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ah, the joys of Jaywick...