Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MoT day Thursday: will she pass?

Views : 1400

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 14:22   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Cheap tyres left to stand at the side of the road mainly. Tyre goes down slowly, sidewall gets folded, cracks and perishing happens.
Even on low miles (at £100 a tank I'll be surprised if I do more than 3000 in Val) I think all cars benefit from gentle weekly exercise. Fortunately our old petrol cars run up to temp quickly so they don't need many miles a week. I've got a 5 mile round trip which is ideal (the fact there's a pub car park at halfway is purely coincidental!)
I try to exercise both of mine regularly, the Volvo gets almost daily use for taking the pooch out and the Rover gets used every few days usually and if not, i give it a run at least once a fortnight at the longest. Although i have cheap tyres on the Volvo, they've had some surprisingly good reviews but they don't sit still long enough to start deteriorating.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 10:55   #12
stephend
Premier Member

Belated update. The 740 finally got its MoT test this morning (after three weeks sitting in a corner at the garage). My Mondeo's in for MoT today, so they did the Volvo first thing while I waited, in the hope that it would pass and I could drive it home. And the result is...

... it passed!!!!

I'm chuffed, because it means my welding was evidently up to standard!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 11:10   #13
Dippydog
Premier Member

Congratulations on the pass.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 12:24   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the pass!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 09:38   #15
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Well done; yes I know it's rather belated but I'm piggy-backing onto this thread to announce that the Exxon Valdez has another year's life.

It was a close shave though as the near-side wiper arm decided to become the near-side bonnet cleaner when I ran through the basic last-minute check-list.

There are a few advisories that will be dealt with once the weather and bank balance improve.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:25   #16
kiloran

Val's in for hers on next Thursday, I'm expecting a fail but should be nothing major that I can't sort out. Just need a clear drive and some better weather. She's not a daily so I can take my time.
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 13:48   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Well done; yes I know it's rather belated but I'm piggy-backing onto this thread to announce that the Exxon Valdez has another year's life.

It was a close shave though as the near-side wiper arm decided to become the near-side bonnet cleaner when I ran through the basic last-minute check-list.

There are a few advisories that will be dealt with once the weather and bank balance improve.
Congrats on the pass for the Exxon Valdez - isn't it amazing how wiper blades stay put for 364 days then on MoT day suddenly make a bid for freedom? Had exactly the same happen myself, managed to get it to stay where it was long enough to pass the test then bought a new pair on the grounds that if one has done it, the other is likely to soon as they were replaced as a pair.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 09:48   #18
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Congrats on the pass for the Exxon Valdez - isn't it amazing how wiper blades stay put for 364 days then on MoT day suddenly make a bid for freedom? Had exactly the same happen myself, managed to get it to stay where it was long enough to pass the test then bought a new pair on the grounds that if one has done it, the other is likely to soon as they were replaced as a pair.
What happened was that the entire arm decided to slip on the splined spindle and described an arc from the bonnet to a point approximately 6" above the scuttle. My first thought was that the cable had snapped so decided to remove the arm and if that was the case, present the car with one working windscreen wiper - if it isn't fitted it can't be tested after all!

Checking the function revealed that it was simply a case of re-locating the arm and tightening up the nut that secures the arm to the spindle.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 14:29   #19
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Val's in for hers on next Thursday, I'm expecting a fail but should be nothing major that I can't sort out. Just need a clear drive and some better weather. She's not a daily so I can take my time.
Woohoo! She passed! Just an advisory for a minor "oil" leak (well, I guess PAS is derived from dinosaur juice ) and one tyre - which were installed as rim protectors for the wheels I picked up from Luke - nearing the legal limit. £110 quids-worth of BP's finest added and we're good to go for another year.

Still got her quirks - random high idle and haunted ABS - but both of those can wait for the spring.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 17:30   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the pass Alan, justifies the investment in the replacement engine now!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: