Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 -02 issue with O2 sensor/wiring? P0135 DTC

Views : 416

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 19:39   #1
v0lv0mies

Default S40 -02 issue with O2 sensor/wiring? P0135 DTC

Hi,

Having problems to pass MOT with a Mk1 S40 2002 with 1.6 litre big block gasoline engine.
Lambda sensor has been replaced by the previous owner not more than a year ago, it's a Ready-fit Bosch with the original connector on the wiring.
The car is showing P0135 fault code which is for the heating circuit malfunction in the Bank1 Sensor1, before the cat.
However I think the O2 sendor is good, the sensor has been replaced by the previous owner not more than a year ago, it's a Ready-fit Bosch with the original connector on the wiring. Reading the resistance between red and white wire on the sensor gives around 4.5-6 Ohms which seems to be within the OK range and gives the information the heating element is intact.

Pulled out the connector and read contuinity between the pins and chassis ground and voltage reading with a multimeter gave this information:

Is there something odd on these readings? To me, the engine running and reading between red-black and green-white wire being 9,4V seems abnormal, shouldn't it be +12V? Also, the green-white wire gives a 3,65/3,66V reading with the key in ON position. (Think the red-black should be the positive voltage for the heater element and green-white is the ground, connected into ECU)
I think the system is equipped with the EMS2000 engine control by the wiring colors, however the O2 sensors are located beneath the seats so that would indicate to Melco 1/2, but with that the wiring colors doesn't match. I've used vccn.no supplied wiring schematics for the research.

Also, with the key not in place and ignition off, the red-black and white-black wires gives beeping with the contuinity check with ground on the multimeter. The same happens with the ignion ON.
While engine is running, only the white-black wire beeps on contuinity check with chassis ground.

Electrical problems ain't something I understand so anybody with more knowledge and suggests on how to move forward with the issue?
v0lv0mies is offline   Reply With Quote