Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

244 GL 1981 Saloon

Views : 5596

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 17:36   #11
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suppose it depends how fussy a prospective buyer might be. It is a pity the dings are on separate panels all over the car, that would make it quite costly to get rid of all of them. One could just drive it as it is (free), of fix the dings with a hot glue dent puller, some filler and rattle cans (cost £100 or so) or have a body shop fix them plus respray the whole car (cost £3,000). It it was me I'd probably go the middle way because even after the last option the motor car wouldn't be worth £6,000.

I like the look of this motor car, there seems to be a little bit of rust around and behind the nearside rear wheel, but otherwise it is nice and would be a good buy at the VOC forum members' price (from memory £2750?).

Alan
Agreed. The bits of rust evidence is nowt. Still looks very recoverable. Even got the colour code!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 18:43   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Agreed. The bits of rust evidence is nowt. Still looks very recoverable. Even got the colour code!
Nearly all 40 year old 240s will have a bit of rust around the rear wheel arches - it doesn't look too bad on this one (although the only sure way is to get underneath of course). It might need a scrub up and maybe a few patches with the MIG welder, nothing much. It certainly is recoverable - and at a pretty small cost as long as one isn't trying to achieve a concours d'elegance motor car (in which case it would be cheaper to buy a better car).

It looks like a good motor car for the money car to me.

Last edited by Othen; Oct 9th, 2021 at 18:47.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 12:34   #13
dmw244gl

Hi all thanks for your input and feedback

I have tried to upload a few images here of the rear arches but get a security token issue when trying to load

Will try again later
dmw244gl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 15:33   #14
dmw244gl

here are some pictures of the rear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvoarch1.jpg (258.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg volvarch2.jpg (229.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg volvarch3.jpg (210.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg volvoarch4.jpg (163.8 KB, 47 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 09:43   #15
dmw244gl

hi all,

where do people stand on people making offers on cars before they view it ?
either on ebay or forums?

from a sellers point of view, for me it would be strange to accept a lower offer, and then maybe the buyer turns up and offers a lower amount again.

what are your thoughts on this practice.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:25   #16
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw244gl View Post
hi all,

from a sellers point of view, for me it would be strange to accept a lower offer, and then maybe the buyer turns up and offers a lower amount again.

I guess it depends how it's done.

I'll definitely give you £100, is not the same as ,will you take a £100 or I value it at about £100.

Seeing in the flesh can change everything.

When buying , for me , it's the relationship I strike with the vendor as much as the article.

There's always the chancer on both sides!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 12:05   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I guess it depends how it's done.

I'll definitely give you £100, is not the same as ,will you take a £100 or I value it at about £100.

Seeing in the flesh can change everything.

When buying , for me , it's the relationship I strike with the vendor as much as the article.

There's always the chancer on both sides!
In my (albeit limited) experience over the years of buying cars through the club and / or on the forum, I have found that generally there is a mutual trust and respect between enthusiasts.

I am perhaps a little more sceptical of a very new member who may appear to have joined the forum solely to dispose of a dubious motor-car, but, in the absence of any obvious warning signs, am generally prepared to award the person the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the two examples below will better illustrate what I mean

I bought my second 145, via an advertisement in the club magazine (no internet then !) from a gentleman living in Northamptonshire whose description was accurate and price fair.

Similarly, I bought my 245 GLT (a lovely car), sight unseen, from a gentleman living near Glasgow. I travelled up by train, he met me with the car at the station and drove me to his home where we discussed the car in detail over an excellent lunch. Formalities completed, I then proceeded to drive the 300 odd miles back home in my new car without incident (and a huge grin on my face!).

Over the ensuing years, both cars served me well; the 245 touring extensively in Scandinavia during my ownership. Yes, in time it needed a new clutch, exhaust system, etc., but what used car doesn't?

That is what I like about buying via the club or forum (since most cars are now advertised on here rather than in the magazine).

I have yet to buy a car via eBay, but am aware of the horror stories that some tell of buying via the internet. I have on occasion had less pleasant experiences when buying via an advertisement placed in a local newspaper in which the car had been less than accurately described. Then, Caveat Emptor most definitely applies!

Yes, I would trust a fellow forum member in such matters, 'Moomoo', unless, as you say, seeing the car in the metal proved otherwise. In fairness, I must confess that while, in that admittedly unlikely event, I would be naturally disappointed with the individual concerned, I hope that the experience would not jaundice my opinion of the vast majority of those who are both honest and straight-forward in their dealings with others.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Nov 29th, 2021 at 12:07.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 06:08   #18
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw244gl View Post
hi all,

If you wait until April when the motor car is registered as an historic vehicle it will sell easily for the current asking price, maybe more.

A thought on accepting a lower price before the buyer sees the motor car: I suspect you would then lay yourself open to an even lower price when he/she views the car. It is up to you, but if you did that I'd suggest agreeing a firm price over the telephone and then taking a deposit (it need not be much, I should think £100 would be plenty to hold the sale). If the prospective buyer won't part with £100 he/she probably isn't serious about the purchase anyway.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Nov 30th, 2021 at 08:17.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 11:20   #19
dmw244gl

Thanks guys
The Following User Says Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2022, 13:40   #20
dmw244gl

Well the car has now made historic status, will just need to apply for it when apply for tax.

the price is £3250 to forum members.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post: