Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Euro 4 - EGR Clean and Swirl Flaps Rod snapped - what's n

Views : 1014

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 21:46   #1
NateWM

Default D5 Euro 4 - EGR Clean and Swirl Flaps Rod snapped - what's n

Hi All,

New member here, and completely new to Volvo D5s so please bare with me!

I recently purchased an S60 D5 with the 185hp Euro 4 engine. The car runs flawlessly and feels like all the power is there, but I have noticed a couple of issues that I would like to fix, which is my swirl flaps rod has snapped off (balljoint on the engine side is there but worn) and my EGR could do with a good clean, which has pushed me to consider doing the intake manifold and flaps etc too.

My question is, how do I repair or replace the actuator rod and what parts will need to be replenished due to taking the intake apart? I've watched some videos and I'm aware of the obvious stuff like injector washers etc, but is their anything else I need to replace like gaskets or seals that don't like to be reused?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice I recieve!

Regards,
Nathan
NateWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 00:32   #2
sv70

Firstly if its just the swirl flap rod or the knuckle on the swirl flap arm that's worn and so long as the arm is actually moving the flaps-[as it is possible that the arm has broken so you see it moving but it isn't actually moving the swirl flaps, as i had on one car] there are plenty of easy fixes posted on here to just fix a broken or worn arm. If however you want to replace the swirl flaps with new then that's a more involved job and parts will be-swirl arm flap kit-around £85 [i got one from[ parts for volvo-PFS]-which you get the swirl flaps and the inlet manifold/cam cover rubber gasket-[around £25 if you buy it separate] and the injector copper washers. Then you have to remove the injectors, this can be easy if you are lucky, if not can be a task due to them being stuck- so special removal tool required, once injectors are out it's straightforward, but some people say you will need new injector clamp brackets to keep correct tension on the injectors and others say just put some bend in the existing ones to compensate, and some also say you need to replace the high pressure metal pipes going to the injectors, but some say they have re-used them without problem- i have done both methods on different cars and have got away with re-using the pipes and injector clamps without problems, but this is for you to decide, Oh i just forgot to say- if you do decide to change the swirl flap kit you will have at least one day of cleaning out the inlet/exhaust ports on the cylinder head because they will be clogged up, as well as the plastic inlet manifold/camcover, because that will be the same, as well as cleaning the egr valve body and associated hoses-all this is a very dirty job and tricky as when you are scraping all the gunge from the ports without getting any of that stuff falling into the engine, i put temporary cloth bungs in so any carbon deposits don't go down there-[have a vac and petrol type hose at the ready to suck it out]and a can of carb cleaner-and don't forget to prime the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay or you will be turning the engine over for ages with no result[ask me how i know] and finally hope you haven't all fell asleep reading this.
sv70 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 10:56   #3
passenger
Master Member

Nobody fell to sleep for this kind of explanation. Thanks
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:47   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Over the years ive kept an eye on the actuator arm. Its never become detached but it was starting to feel loose and sloppy at one point. I remove the arm, heated the ends over a gas hob and then squeezed them slightly with pliers while it cooled. Refitted with a dab of grease on the balls (steady on!) and its been nice and tight for several years.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 00:18   #5
NAD

Have a look in the 07-16 V70 Articles section. There’s a good write up on how to fix this issue.