Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jacked up the car and this happened...

Views : 972

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 13:20   #1
El Padrino

Default Jacked up the car and this happened...

I used the Volvo recommended jacking point (used to change the wheel) to jack up the car with a trolley jack and this happened ☹️ Anything I can do myself so it doesn't get any worse? Regret using that point now. Used a puck on trolley jack too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231022_125419.jpg (143.9 KB, 118 views)
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 15:02   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Only real option, I think, is to remove all underseal back to bare metal & reweld jacking point.
Of course, if there's rusty metal it may need a patch welded in...
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 15:10   #3
Lancee
Premier Member

The original (car supplied) jack and hopefully any trolley jack should be able to "move" in relationship to the car as the car lifts and tilts.

I suspect the use of a trolley jack unable to do so directly on the original jacking point has applied incorrect forces resulting in the damage shown.

I further suspect the previously suggested should provide a solution.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 15:48   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Padrino View Post
I used the Volvo recommended jacking point (used to change the wheel) to jack up the car with a trolley jack and this happened ☹️ Anything I can do myself so it doesn't get any worse? Regret using that point now. Used a puck on trolley jack too.
paint it to stop rust buy a bottle jack to use under a strong part on the car .those jacking points were not good when the cars were new and the genuine volvo jack is not the best only for emergency repair wheel change ect
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 18:21   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

In one respect you were lucky to expose all that rust lurking under the underseal. The only course of action is to remove all the underseal back to good metal and - as others have said - repair the rusty metal and then treat against future corrosion. I would also check the other side for corroosion and general condition.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 23:03   #6
El Padrino

Thanks for everyone's replies on this. What I intended to do was jack up the car enough to get an axle stand under the side I was going to work on. I should have jacked the car up on the subframe now on the triangular looking plate that I've seen on another thread. I couldn't at first slide the trolley jack with the rubber pad under the car to position it under the subframe, as my car is a V70R which sits quite low. I didn't want to use the original spare wheel jack in case this sort of thing happened, as I've read they are not that great.

As you said ITSv40, I suppose it reveals the rust under the underseal to be taken care of. I didn't think there would be any rust on these Volvos as I thought they were all galvanised since 1985. Not a job I expected to do, but I'll get whatever needs rewelded on the jacking point areas to make sure they are strong enough in the event I did have to use them with the spare wheel jack.

Has anyone had all the rust removed from the underside and resealed recently? What are the approximate costs? Which exact parts underneath should be done? From what I could see of the front subframe, it didn't look rusty and advisories about any underside corrision hasn't been brought to my attention at each service.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 07:26   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

There's a 'sticky' thread at the top of the 850/x70 forum about rust and there have been quite a few others over the years. We probably lull ourselves into a false sense of security with the 'Volvos don't rust' mantra and then some critical areas like the wheel arches and door cills are actually hidden behind plastic trim pieces. If you're going to get the jacking point welded probably worth taking that plastic trim off and checking the hidden bits of the cills.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 09:40   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's replies on this. What I intended to do was jack up the car enough to get an axle stand under the side I was going to work on. I should have jacked the car up on the subframe now on the triangular looking plate that I've seen on another thread. I couldn't at first slide the trolley jack with the rubber pad under the car to position it under the subframe, as my car is a V70R which sits quite low. I didn't want to use the original spare wheel jack in case this sort of thing happened, as I've read they are not that great.

As you said ITSv40, I suppose it reveals the rust under the underseal to be taken care of. I didn't think there would be any rust on these Volvos as I thought they were all galvanised since 1985. Not a job I expected to do, but I'll get whatever needs rewelded on the jacking point areas to make sure they are strong enough in the event I did have to use them with the spare wheel jack.

Has anyone had all the rust removed from the underside and resealed recently? What are the approximate costs? Which exact parts underneath should be done? From what I could see of the front subframe, it didn't look rusty and advisories about any underside corrision hasn't been brought to my attention at each service.
I do wonder if all that underseal is factory original or 'rust cover' by a previous owner. My C70 is factory original underneath and there is very little underseal .- just small patches applied in strategic places. The whole shell appears to be phosphate dipped and that is sufficient protection to prevent rust, along with seam sealer. The only light surface rust present is on the underside of the rear chassis rail immediately above the exhaust - everywhere else is like new. One interesting feature: all the under body bolts - subframe mounting etc - are all covered with a squirt of underseal, thus protecting the bolts from corrosion.

Last edited by ITSv40; Oct 23rd, 2023 at 10:14.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 10:03   #9
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
There's a 'sticky' thread at the top of the 850/x70 forum about rust and there have been quite a few others over the years. We probably lull ourselves into a false sense of security with the 'Volvos don't rust' mantra and then some critical areas like the wheel arches and door cills are actually hidden behind plastic trim pieces. If you're going to get the jacking point welded probably worth taking that plastic trim off and checking the hidden bits of the cills.
Thanks DaveNP, I was thinking the same and getting the other common rust areas looked at too at the same time. Thanks for the reminder of the rust 'sticky' at the top. I think if this unfortunate incident didn't happen yesterday, I would have been thinking she was rust free and carried on as normal. Luckily this unfortunate incident happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 22:29   #10
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Thanks DaveNP, I was thinking the same and getting the other common rust areas looked at too at the same time. Thanks for the reminder of the rust 'sticky' at the top. I think if this unfortunate incident didn't happen yesterday, I would have been thinking she was rust free and carried on as normal. Luckily this unfortunate incident happened.
hi on mine under the plastic cover on the sills was hidden rust about the size of a waffle and i cut it out and welded in a very neat patch then used a structural seam sealer and new fixings for the covers as you end up breaking them or drilling them out to get it off.
also the rear bumper mounts and rear exhaust mount on the body are regular rust spots.
tackled all but 1 area of rust on mine and thats next springs job!