Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 1st & second gen: discuss

Views : 656

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 23:23   #1
Mudhook

Default V70 1st & second gen: discuss

Chaps

What I have acquired (2000 2.5 V70 Classic) is one of the last of the original V70s, as far as I can see. I think the second-generation V70 (2000 - 2007-ish) ones were also pre-Ford-platform cars.

What is the word amongst the knowledgeable as to the relative merits of the two cars? Big differences? Strong feelings. Later is just better?

Tx for any words of wisdom. Again I have searched for threads on this but haven't yet turned up a clear view.

Regards, Mudhook.
Mudhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 00:00   #2
green van man
Premier Member

You will have as many opinions as there are members so here's mine.
Have phase 1 V70 bought to replace a 460 that got written off for me. Like the car a lot to the extent that despite looking at other and newer models it still sits on my drive after 10 years of ownership.
When the phase 2 was a new model I looked at it in local dealers and my immediate impression upon sitting in it was why have they made a class car into a boy racer wannabe, the cabin just seemed cheap in comparison to its predecessor.
For me the real turn off was the handbrake position, have arthritis in shoulder and could not comfortably use it, which is not really a fault with the car just a reason for me not likening it.
Engine wise the later cars are more powerful but I find the 140 horses of mine more than adequate for my needs and fuel consumption is great for the size of car it is being an oil burner. There is minimal electronics to the older cars which makes them easier and cheaper to maintain.
It would cost £30,000 to update to a car the same age as the one I have was when I bought it and I really see no pressing need to do so.
Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:39   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

On the one hand, you'd think that the newer the car the better in terms of technology, design improvements etc.

Personally I prefer the look of the 'Classic' V70, and I would agree that the materials used, especially in the cabin, feel of a higher quality in the Classic.

The early 'new' 70s were not without their problems - the driver display module for example. Having said that, the Classic could boast the odd foible too - the ABS module and the ETM for example.

Perhaps it's not really fair to compare a 97 Classic with an 02 pre-Ford Volvo - each have their strengths and weaknesses. If your budget is say up to £3000 and you're looking for a well-built practical and versatile car that is well-built and promises good service then it's probably best to keep your mind a bit open, and choose the individual car from the available stock based on condition and history. They are after all, Volvos.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:47   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

My pen'orth...

I have a 'Classic' because I love the shape and the interior layout.

I have thought (quite often) of a Phase 2. Then all it takes is to look at mine again. I loved that shape and style from the day it first came out and have never changed my opinion.

Funnily enough, there is a Phase 2 the same colour as mine (midnight blue) just round the corner from me (but not quite as well kept!) and each time I see it, I'm glad that I have a Classic. Recently, I found that I am going to inherit some money (not a life-changing amount) and I did think quite seriously about 'changing up' to a newer model (I even had a thread about that in here somewhere); but to look at mine, just after I gave it a polish yesterday, reinforced my feelings as to why I will keep 'The Blue Streak'.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:23   #5
john493
Spannering since birth

Default V70 ph1

Bought my turquoise 1998 V70 about 6 weeks ago, with only 96k and a full history. Previous owner had it for 13 years.
It's a 170 bhp CD spec auto.
I wanted an auto and got put off by reliability concerns on the later 5 speed auto box.
The car is very well built and comfortable and a timeless shape. I'm spending money on it to make it new - that's just a bit of paint on the bumpers & some dent removal for minor car-park dents in the doors.
Overall very happy with it and it's reasonably economical for the size considering the auto box. I paid quite a high price for it compared with many on offer, and am spending more, but it'll be nice when finished
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:48   #6
Mudhook

Thanks guys. I'm getting the picture. I have been a bit blind to the 850/V70 cars during my 10-odd years of 740/940 ownership. Had an 850 on test drive once and it went like stink but was a bit basic inside.

My V70 is like a Roller (to me) inside, and to drive. I'm still getting used to the plastic walnut trim though.

Final point - for today! Anyone had any experience of soggy bonnet springs? Mine won't stay up without help. Can this be fixed or will I need to start packing a broom handle?

Time was, if you looked at a 740/940 with a broom handle in the back it was a cert the tailgate struts were shot, and often the tailgate interior trim too from all the slamming.

Regards, Mudhook.
Mudhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 12:55   #7
TimS

I had a P2 V70 from new for 11 years, & recently bought a new P3 one. My old P2 seemed to have a higher quality interior than the P3 (although the latter of course has more features & electronics). Interesting to see people's opinions that the P1 was better than the P2. Progress!

Tim.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 14:28   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It's highly unscientific but I just prefer the shape of the earlier V70, the front end of either is pretty much the same but the bulging sides of the later model just look fat. (That's fat as in overweight, not phat! as in wikkid!). There's also the school of thought that the more modern a car is the more new fangled electronic gizmos there are to go wrong.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 14:48   #9
Westyman
VOC Member

I have had one each of the three V70 phases. First was a 2000
XC petrol, next was a 2005 D5 then a 2010 D5.
All have been auto and all AWD. After 3 RWD Volvo estates I was reluctant to go FWD on the 850/V70 ph. 1 but hankered after the AWD version which I found used eventually about a year old. This was swapped for the diesel ph. 2 and then the ph. 3 diesel.
They've all been good but my perception is that trim quality worsens as the cars get newer. But saying that, nothing has fallen off. However both ph. 2 and ph. 3 cars have had body flexure causing tailgate noises.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 16:17   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhook View Post
Final point - for today! Anyone had any experience of soggy bonnet springs? Mine won't stay up without help. Can this be fixed or will I need to start packing a broom handle?
Can't think why the bonnet springs would go soft as they are not gas springs at all are they?

It's just a simple scissor mechanism with a heavy duty coil spring on each side.

Is something loose or broken as to me it looks as though the bonnet spring mechanism is real old-fashioned Volvo - simple, strong and reliable.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote