Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Opinions

Views : 1477

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2021, 14:35   #1
bogart
Master Member

Default Opinions

As this vehicle is near me and has been on autotrader for a while, evidenced by saying long MOT when less than 3 months. thought I might go and have a look. Never had a red car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...nr148jb&page=2
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 15:07   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

It seems to be in good condition but it hasn't been serviced for two years, which is no way to treat a car.

Perhaps the colour is part of the reason that it hasn't been sold. The V60 carries red better than the V70 IMO.

The MOT history is good apart from showing that it's hardly been driven for the last three years, so I wonder what state the DPF is in.

Also, will the air conditioning have lost some coolant as a result of the car being left standing for a long time?

Having said that, why not go and have a look at it and then take it for a test drive? See what you think.

Given the fact that it's been on sale for so long suggests that there's a deal to be done if you do like the car.

If you decide that you want it, then perhaps also insist that the car is given a full service, a re-gas, and a good warranty before you buy it.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 16:14   #3
bogart
Master Member

Would insist on a full service, new MOT and possibly AC regas. The red does not put me off , I actually think it looks nice. As you say as they are near no harm in going looking at it. They can always say no on any offer I might make.
Am assuming the thought behind the servicing is based on the fact due to Covid it has only done 3000 miles in 2 years

Last edited by bogart; Aug 26th, 2021 at 16:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to bogart For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 23:56   #4
ferg55

Its been on sale since 16/12/2020 according to the advert URL.
I wouldn't take the lack of service in two years too seriously, it's only two years after all, and it's only done a few miles since the last one. I'd be more concerned as to why it has only done so few miles and where it has been standing in between times (inside or out in the weather).
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 07:03   #5
reggit
Premier Member

That’s doing about the same amount of miles as I do in a year, 4-5000, no commuting really keeps the mileage down!

The car doesn’t take any harm as long as it gets a decent run every few weeks.

I wouldn’t worry about it myself, as long as it drives OK, you want it and the price is right, I’d go for it. Just have the seller service it as the auxiliary belt and tensioners will be due on time by now. (Assuming it’s still every 5 years for that age and engine)

Quite like it in red….
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 08:29   #6
bogart
Master Member

Done just over 100 miles since last MOT and now. Been on dealers forecourt around a year so the 100 I suppose might be demo runs .
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 09:00   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The other way of looking at it is where else are there very low mileage late model V70? With the current surge on prices I've seem some advertised north of £20k. Okay it's a poverty spec but if you're not too bothered about full leather and few extra switches, it might be a good buy.

I'm not sure what's not to like about it (colour apart) - providing the brakes are okay - i.e. not corroded through being stood and I would get the battery tested or budget £100 for a new one.

I think the AC system will be fine, it's under a lot less pressure stood idle than it is when its running.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 27th, 2021 at 09:06.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 09:48   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

I actually like the red… looks nice.

Could be a good buy. Covid probably has had an impact on the miles its done & that may explain the skipped servicing.

If the car has done 3k in two years & given that the oil is (or should be) fully synthetic, I can’t see there being much of an issue with the oil. If you were doing 1,500 miles a year, would you be paying for annual oil changes at a garage or changing it yourself?

Given that the proper oil for this car would probably cost £70-£90 plus an oil filter, it does seem like a waste of money in that sense & I can see why it was left. I don’t think its neglect as such. The car looks to be well looked after, but the previous owner probably didn’t want to be spending money on servicing when the car wasn’t being driven much.

If the car had never been serviced, then that’d be a different scenario. I think there’s probably plenty or will be plenty of cars that have skipped servicing since the start of the pandemic. I can see the reasonings behind that.

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 27th, 2021 at 09:57.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 16:53   #9
bogart
Master Member

I think it is somewhat overpriced, for as you say a fairly basic spec. I think this garage overprices all their cars in the hope a mug turns up. I will go and have a look next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to bogart For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 17:01   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I actually like the red… looks nice.

Could be a good buy. Covid probably has had an impact on the miles its done & that may explain the skipped servicing.

If the car has done 3k in two years & given that the oil is (or should be) fully synthetic, I can’t see there being much of an issue with the oil. If you were doing 1,500 miles a year, would you be paying for annual oil changes at a garage or changing it yourself?

Given that the proper oil for this car would probably cost £70-£90 plus an oil filter, it does seem like a waste of money in that sense & I can see why it was left. I don’t think its neglect as such. The car looks to be well looked after, but the previous owner probably didn’t want to be spending money on servicing when the car wasn’t being driven much.

If the car had never been serviced, then that’d be a different scenario. I think there’s probably plenty or will be plenty of cars that have skipped servicing since the start of the pandemic. I can see the reasonings behind that.
I wouldn't think anything of leaving the same proper spec fully synth oil in a car for even 2 or 3 years if it had only done say 8k in that time - the risk is zero.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 27th, 2021 at 18:00.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote