Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trading Standards

Views : 6036

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 22:01   #11
KeatV70D5SE

There are several people on here (you know who you are) whose sole purpose seems to be to knock VT. Those of you who have been here a while are well aware of the "issues" surrounding Power increase claims.

I can't see the problem with not guaranteeing a power gain. If I took a 10yo 150,000 T5 to get RICAd and it didn't make 305 horses it wouldn't be a tremendous surprise. On the other hand if the website said I WOULD get 305horses without any disclaimer then I might think "Hmm.. I could get this cheaper"
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 19:40   #12
sholtby
Premier Member

When I choose to buy something like a chip upgrade the feedback from previous customers is probably the most important factor in me making a decision. Almost everyone seems more than pleased with the Rica upgrade.

Simon
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:01   #13
spesh2551

My car is 11 year old and it made 301bhp with Rica at VT.
spesh2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 23:01   #14
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spesh2551
My car is 11 year old and it made 301bhp with Rica at VT.
I would take any dyno results with a pinch of salt, and especially if supplied by the chip distributer. Dyno results can vary between dynos, i know of a few rica'ed cars that has been given wheel bhp figures at vt, then been to power engineering (independent) where they where given similar figures as crank hp. which one has the tru reading is anyones guess though.

if you want to know the true figure for you car utimately you would want a couple of dyno runs on independant dyno's and take an average. allways get wheel horse power as some dyno operators assume high transmission loses which give good looking crank figures.

we all agree the rica is a good product (including me), but there seems to be an overwhelming view that the rica figures are not obtainable by virtually all of us now (with old cars and some newer cars like the c70's etc) when taken to independant dyno's. thats why vt have put up a disclaimer and have had all this recent fuss. If every rica'ed t5 that went to power engineering etc made close to 304bhp then this disclaimer business would be going on. Its because of peoples dissapointment on their dyno runs that they have started to question the figures.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:29   #15
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
I would take any dyno results with a pinch of salt, and especially if supplied by the chip distributer. Dyno results can vary between dynos, i know of a few rica'ed cars that has been given wheel bhp figures at vt, then been to power engineering (independent) where they where given similar figures as crank hp. which one has the tru reading is anyones guess though.

if you want to know the true figure for you car utimately you would want a couple of dyno runs on independant dyno's and take an average. allways get wheel horse power as some dyno operators assume high transmission loses which give good looking crank figures.

we all agree the rica is a good product (including me), but there seems to be an overwhelming view that the rica figures are not obtainable by virtually all of us now (with old cars and some newer cars like the c70's etc) when taken to independant dyno's. thats why vt have put up a disclaimer and have had all this recent fuss. If every rica'ed t5 that went to power engineering etc made close to 304bhp then this disclaimer business would be going on. Its because of peoples dissapointment on their dyno runs that they have started to question the figures.
Dear bobcat, I think you will find you are incorrect (except for the bit about all dynos reading different, where you are spot on!). An addition to the web site content was made so that potential customers were clear about the quoted figures. It is not really a disclaimer, but more of a factual statement as it is completely true. The reason it was added was that trading standards asked us to add it after complaints from 2 people specifically about the power figures for the 850 T5 and had nothing to do with any other models. Trading standards are a very supportive organisation and as such advised us on suitable wording of the modified content of the web site so that no potential customers could be confused or mislead by our power figures and no more time or tax payers money would be wasted on such trivial matters in the future.

Regards,
Hamish.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:04   #16
Rick448

It seems that all this "mine makes 30 squillion BHP" is accross the board then. At present i have an Octavia VRS remapped to 230bhp. (remappers own figures) and i couldn't care less if it is 230 or 200. All i know is that it makes a massive differance from the standard car. (i can turn boost down to standard and also my brother has a standard one) In reality it's how it feels not what numbers you get. Yes i understand people can be tempted to buy remaps on quoted figures, but if you are happy with the drive why worry.
Just my 2p worth.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:42   #17
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Dear bobcat, I think you will find you are incorrect (except for the bit about all dynos reading different, where you are spot on!). An addition to the web site content was made so that potential customers were clear about the quoted figures. It is not really a disclaimer, but more of a factual statement as it is completely true. The reason it was added was that trading standards asked us to add it after complaints from 2 people specifically about the power figures for the 850 T5 and had nothing to do with any other models. Trading standards are a very supportive organisation and as such advised us on suitable wording of the modified content of the web site so that no potential customers could be confused or mislead by our power figures and no more time or tax payers money would be wasted on such trivial matters in the future.

Regards,
Hamish.
Dear Hamish,

I stand corrected, I Originally thought you had added the disclaimer to personally address on behalf of VT the issue of rica'ed cars not making rica's claims on independent dyno's (and im sure on yours ocassionally) something which has been noted on many occassions over the last few years.

I was unaware that the disclaimer had only been added to satisfy trading standards (and not that of VT's own choice to inform their customers) following the complaints and to stop them having to deal with any further complaints and as you put it waste the tax payers money.

I would hardly call rica's figures "trivial", i would say that a product description is quite important!! But to give an example, im about to upgrade to a new phone that states 9 hours talk time, but in independent tests it only averages about 6-7, so it seems everones doing it.

Matt.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:08   #18
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Dear Hamish,

I stand corrected, I Originally thought you had added the disclaimer to personally address on behalf of VT the issue of rica'ed cars not making rica's claims on independent dyno's (and im sure on yours ocassionally) something which has been noted on many occassions over the last few years.

I was unaware that the disclaimer had only been added to satisfy trading standards (and not that of VT's own choice to inform their customers) following the complaints and to stop them having to deal with any further complaints and as you put it waste the tax payers money.

I would hardly call rica's figures "trivial", i would say that a product description is quite important!! But to give an example, im about to upgrade to a new phone that states 9 hours talk time, but in independent tests it only averages about 6-7, so it seems everones doing it.

Matt.
You are correct in thinking that originally a disclaimer was added on behalf of VT, which had mistakenly dispappered due to accidental overwriting of new pages with old ones on the web server. However following the second complaint, trading standards decided that this original disclaimer was not suitable in terms of it's content and location, hence the clarification of the "product description" was added later according to the recommendations.

Regards,
Hamish.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 14:17   #19
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

evenin all

this is barmy, why dont people just have the car chipped, drive it for a couple of days and if not happy take advantage of VT's 14 day money back guarantee.

oh no, thats to easy, lets go whinging to trading standards instead.

the world we live in today, turning into a Yankee lets sue culture.

well just my 10cents worth...

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 16:51   #20
hamish

George,

The weird thing with both complaints, is it is not customers complaining about our product ! First it was the content of our web site, second it was the content of my post on this thread ! Bizarre to say the least.

Regards,
Hamish.