Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 - first official press release

Views : 2917

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 00:29   #1
Bob
Club Director

Default Volvo C30 - first official press release

Read it here:

www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/releases/040106.shtml

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:21   #2
5lab

pics @ http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery...x_page_10.html
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:29   #3
Bob
Club Director

More pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c30-1.jpg (162.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c30-2.jpg (194.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c30-3.jpg (169.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg c30-4.jpg (142.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg c30-5.jpg (269.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg c30-6.jpg (267.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg c30-7.jpg (125.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg c30-8.jpg (161.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg c30-9.jpg (145.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c30-10.jpg (111.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg c30-11.jpg (173.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg c30-12.jpg (191.7 KB, 9 views)

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles

Last edited by Bob; Jan 4th, 2006 at 17:42.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 23:32   #4
Gazza_D

It's also made it into this weeks Auto Express too! Got to be a Golf beater at the very least! ;-)
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:53   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default Ref: C30

At last! The new 480. Should definitely be a VW defeater.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:23   #6
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: C30

Although pictures are of the 'C30 Concept' it is said to be very close to the production model which is due to be launched at the Paris Motor Show in September.

Personally, I find it very hard to drum up much interest.
Although pitched as a coupe in the 480 mould, it is much more of a regular 3 door hatchback.

The nail in the coffin (for me at any rate) is that it's based on the Ford Focus, and much as the Focus is lauded by its' followers, it is hardly a solid basis for a Volvo, modern or nay - especially as it's the BMW 1 series Volvo are allegedly chasing in the sales race!

Last edited by T240; Jan 6th, 2006 at 02:26.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:11   #7
John_C
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240
The nail in the coffin (for me at any rate) is that it's based on the Ford Focus, and much as the Focus is lauded by its' followers, it is hardly a solid basis for a Volvo, modern or nay - especially as it's the BMW 1 series Volvo are allegedly chasing in the sales race!
I don't get this point of view I'm afraid. With all due respect to the marque looking at it's recent history Volvo has not exactly been famed for it's chassis design other than from the point of view of safety, whereas Ford have garnered an excellent reputation for their chassis'. I can't see what is bad about building a new Volvo on a platform which is recognised across the industry as being one of the best in it's class. The new S/V40 doesn't seem to be doing that badly and that's a Focus under the skin too.

Hopefully in the future Volvo will take the knowledge on from Ford and put an independant world-beater together but for now I'm content to see new models coming to market with "known good" fundamentals with Volvo's design and technical values on top.

Cheers,
J
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:32   #8
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

All this talk about the C30/S40/V50 not being "proper" Volvo's because of the shared technology with Ford is beginning to wind me up now. You might as well say the old S40/V40 was nothing more than a Mitsubishi Carisma, a universally derided car.

In my view, if you buy a V50, you're getting a Focus estate with all the good things that brings (the Focus is a great car after all), plus all the safety, styling, image and luxury you'd expect from a modern Volvo. What's wrong with that?

What does it matter if the car is 50%, 75% or even 95% Ford technology? What matters is whether or not it can improve on similar Volvos from the past without forgetting the brands core values.
I believe this has been done very successfully. The Focus/S40/V50 are very safe cars and the Volvo versions offer high levels of comfort too. They're well built (forget 1970s Ford stereotypes), practical and fun to drive (makes a change for a Volvo, eh?), come on folks, what more do you want?

Having seen the pictures for the latest C30 and the next S80, I'm genuinely looking forward to the next generation cars to come from Volvo, no matter how much of them might be considered to be a Ford. Don't forget, without a larger parent/partner, Volvo would probably be dead in the water by now, car development cost are increasing rapidly and profits are being squeezed by ever more hungy Far East manufacturers. Volvo may be the only profitable part of Ford (apart from Ford Credit!), but don't kid yourself they could remain that way without Ford to help with future model development. Sales of the current generation Phase II platform cars are slipping this year. This platform has been around since 1998 after all! Volvo wouldn't look so profitable if they'd had to develop the S40/V50 and next gen large platform all on their own...

I'll even go so far to say that the next generation cars (S60/V70/S80/V90) will be the best Volvos ever. We can look forward to the new Straight 6 engine, better driving dynamics, and (dare I say it) better quality. Volvos might not be over-engineered anymore, but I think it's fair to say that the last fews years of Volvo independence (and before Ford had time to change things), the reputation for reliability was suffering. It seems the 1999-2001 cars are pretty poor, whereas Ford models from the mid 90s on are often lauded for the reliability and dependibility. For example, the old Focus came top in a German reliability survey, all generations of Mondeo are well known for being tough old beasts, you get the picture..

It's about time we stopped bashing Ford and congratulate them on keeping Volvo a seperate company with distinctive models that people actually want to buy. If Ford take Volvo down the GM/SAAB route, then we can start moaning the day when you write to Volvo and the address is the same as Ford's HQ...

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:48   #9
5lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
All this talk about the C30/S40/V50 not being "proper" Volvo's because of the shared technology with Ford is beginning to wind me up now. You might as well say the old S40/V40 was nothing more than a Mitsubishi Carisma, a universally derided car.
In my view, if you buy a V50, you're getting a Focus estate with all the good things that brings (the Focus is a great car after all), plus all the safety, styling, image and luxury you'd expect from a modern Volvo. What's wrong with that?
What does it matter if the car is 50%, 75% or even 95% Ford technology? What matters is whether or not it can improve on similar Volvos from the past without forgetting the brands core values.
I believe this has been done very successfully. The Focus/S40/V50 are very safe cars and the Volvo versions offer high levels of comfort too. They're well built (forget 1970s Ford stereotypes), practical and fun to drive (makes a change for a Volvo, eh?), come on folks, what more do you want?
Having seen the pictures for the latest C30 and the next S80, I'm genuinely looking forward to the next generation cars to come from Volvo, no matter how much of them might be considered to be a Ford. Don't forget, without a larger parent/partner, Volvo would probably be dead in the water by now, car development cost are increasing rapidly and profits are being squeezed by ever more hungy Far East manufacturers. Volvo may be the only profitable part of Ford (apart from Ford Credit!), but don't kid yourself they could remain that way without Ford to help with future model development. Sales of the current generation Phase II platform cars are slipping this year. This platform has been around since 1998 after all! Volvo wouldn't look so profitable if they'd had to develop the S40/V50 and next gen large platform all on their own...
I'll even go so far to say that the next generation cars (S60/V70/S80/V90) will be the best Volvos ever. We can look forward to the new Straight 6 engine, better driving dynamics, and (dare I say it) better quality. Volvos might not be over-engineered anymore, but I think it's fair to say that the last fews years of Volvo independence (and before Ford had time to change things), the reputation for reliability was suffering. It seems the 1999-2001 cars are pretty poor, whereas Ford models from the mid 90s on are often lauded for the reliability and dependibility. For example, the old Focus came top in a German reliability survey, all generations of Mondeo are well known for being tough old beasts, you get the picture..
It's about time we stopped bashing Ford and congratulate them on keeping Volvo a seperate company with distinctive models that people actually want to buy. If Ford take Volvo down the GM/SAAB route, then we can start moaning the day when you write to Volvo and the address is the same as Ford's HQ...
amen to that.. i've been saying the same thing on here for months. but the zelots just wont listen

incidentally, the old s/v40, a misubishi, often comes in the top 10 cars in reliability surveys.. the next best volvo is around 60th place.. additionally ford is 5th in the best manufacturers, volvo isnt in the top 10 at all..

as for a company doing worse after integration.. thats simply not true - audi have excelled with the a3, and jag are doing well with teh x-type..
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:09   #10
Triang

Hmm - don't think the rear end glass hatch works very well.

It looks like a hatchback with a french window bolted on to the back.

What worked with the 480 and P1800ES looks a bit odd when the base car is not a low slung coupe...

Just my opinion - it'll probally sell well.