Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145s remaining

Views : 957

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2009, 09:15   #1
volvulus

Default 145s remaining

Hi, does anyone know how many 145s there are left? And how many big bumper 145 models are left? (does VOC have a registrar for 140 cars?) I ask because I need to make a decision if my rather rusty example is worth restoring or breaking for spares.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 09:38   #2
222s
Amazoniste

There is a registrar for 140s - he does post on here so I'm sure he will be along shortly

I have no idea about the rarity of late 140s (very early ones do seem to be rare though) but I would say that the condition & spec of your car would be the more critical factors. E.g. is it complete but just in need of the rust repair that you mentioned? Also, can you do the bodywork repair yourself? Is the car to the spec that you want, i.e. once it's restored, is it something that you want to keep?

Other things to think about: is the car worth enough to you from a personal / sentimental point of view? Also, paying someone else to do body / rust repairs can be very expensive, especially to have the work done properly. Half the battle can also be finding somewhere that will do the work properly, rather than just plating over the rust......

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 13:23   #3
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Generally the 140 series is rare as, unlike some other Volvo models, they were not galvanised; however rarity alone is not enough when it comes to these cars, as the poster above states. If you were to restore this with a view to selling it on you could find yourself disappointed in the present market; compared to the Amazon, the 140 has never commanded a premium.

C.A. owner of the 144.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 18:43   #4
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Years ago we always called the Volvo 140 range "The forgotten Classic" which is a shame as the number of survivors is indeed declining rapidly.

I had a late big-bumper 145 that I bought from a farmer to tide me over whilst my Amazon was being straightened after a clown drove into it: thats when I fell in love with them. Apart from heavy steering when parking, they gave the impression of being so much more modern than the 120 range.

Since then, though, all my 140s except my late 144GL project have been slim-bumper cars: I have the same dilema with this car that started this thread off! However, my 142S is an early one with the B18 engine, so worth more (if that is important) than later cars, if it came to sell.

A couple of years ago a poster on here received info from the DVLA, under the Freedom of Information act, of all registered 240s, SORN'd and legal. I was going to follow the guidelines for the 140s and 164s, but my computer crash lost me that link! Has anybody else tried - I mean, does it have to be an authorised applicant to not get told to mind your own business? Perhaps Nigel335, the clubs 140 registrar, might be able to use his authority and go down that route for us all?

Any offers Nigel?

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 11:10   #5
volvulus

Default Thanks for reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
There is a registrar for 140s - he does post on here so I'm sure he will be along shortly

I have no idea about the rarity of late 140s (very early ones do seem to be rare though) but I would say that the condition & spec of your car would be the more critical factors. E.g. is it complete but just in need of the rust repair that you mentioned? Also, can you do the bodywork repair yourself? Is the car to the spec that you want, i.e. once it's restored, is it something that you want to keep?

Other things to think about: is the car worth enough to you from a personal / sentimental point of view? Also, paying someone else to do body / rust repairs can be very expensive, especially to have the work done properly. Half the battle can also be finding somewhere that will do the work properly, rather than just plating over the rust......
Thank you a very considered answer; I would do the work myself and never sell it.However as I have three other classics to restore you should have added the age of the owner as well and his long suffering wife's opinion to the list of things to consider. If they survive in enough numbers then it would more prudent to sell her for spares or repair and maybe find a good example although that wouldn't have the history,I've own mine since 1984 and it's complete but rusty.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 15:09   #6
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Thank you a very considered answer; I would do the work myself and never sell it.However as I have three other classics to restore you should have added the age of the owner as well and his long suffering wife's opinion to the list of things to consider. If they survive in enough numbers then it would more prudent to sell her for spares or repair and maybe find a good example although that wouldn't have the history,I've own mine since 1984 and it's complete but rusty.
In that case the Volvo lover in me says "KEEP IT!"

Too many have gone.

C.A.