Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

prop shaft bearing

Views : 1223

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 16:15   #1
PTJS
Master Member

Default prop shaft bearing

Hi All

I seem to recall sometime ago a tip regarding putting a few drops of oil onto the prop half shaft union to help it on its way if it is dry. I have tried to find this on previous threads but seem to have missed it. Can anyone refresh my memory as to where exactly the oil is applied ie is it onto the rubber doughnut? I've been getting a bit of clutch judder when pulling away from cold and wondered whether this might be the cause.

Cheers

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 20:55   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Clutch judder is probably due to a leaking rear main seal.

To lubricate the centre bearing you need to get the oil/grease to the bearing which sits inside the rubber doughnut. I believe the recommended way is a grease gun with a needle attachment but I'm not sure if you can still get hold of them.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 00:02   #3
gary austin

Cool shudder

hi i also have a shudder on one of my 240s when pulling away is the bearing the cause or is it something else cheers gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 04:05   #4
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

I think the centre bearings are the sealed for life type, they're about £8 and easy enough to replace. If the rubber donut is ancient it will probably be allowing the prop to thrash about.

If I remember, judder is usually down to wear in the prop itself, with the two sections slopping about, I haven't looked it up but I think there may be a means of taking up the slack within the splined section, although I haven't done it myself and I have not looked it up to substantiate what I am saying. All from my flawed and hazy memory. If I think on I'll get the manual out when I have more time!
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 07:54   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

The whole assembly is relatively easy to replace - as the exhaust does not need removing. The parts are cheap - and if you have a spare couple of hours it isn't the worse job to get out of the way.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 08:36   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I have always been an advocate of the odd drop of oil in the bearing. Not because of vibration, but they can get noisy when dry and make a noise reminiscent of a failing rear axle or wheel bearings.

It is vital not to get any oil or grease on the doughnut. If you do the bearing casing will spin in the rubber housing.
Drop the support cross member, prise the doughnut along the shaft so that the bearing is clear, then brush it scrupulously clean. Using a small screwdriver lift up the fibreboard seal a fraction, at the top, and run in a few drops of oil from an ordinary can. Spin the bearing to distribute the oil, and pop the lifted seal back firmly into place. Wipe clean.
Then slide the doughnut back into place, easing the lips over the bearing housing with a screwdriver.

It's an easy job taking a matter of minutes, and lasts hundreds of thousands of miles.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 12:14   #7
PTJS
Master Member

Thanks to all contributors for your help in clarifying this for me.

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 03:43   #8
dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I have always been an advocate of the odd drop of oil in the bearing. Not because of vibration, but they can get noisy when dry and make a noise reminiscent of a failing rear axle or wheel bearings.

It is vital not to get any oil or grease on the doughnut. If you do the bearing casing will spin in the rubber housing.
Drop the support cross member, prise the doughnut along the shaft so that the bearing is clear, then brush it scrupulously clean. Using a small screwdriver lift up the fibreboard seal a fraction, at the top, and run in a few drops of oil from an ordinary can. Spin the bearing to distribute the oil, and pop the lifted seal back firmly into place. Wipe clean.
Then slide the doughnut back into place, easing the lips over the bearing housing with a screwdriver.

It's an easy job taking a matter of minutes, and lasts hundreds of thousands of miles.
'Fibreboard seal'? Mine looks like rubber / plastic and it is firmly placed under the metal bearing lip. Volvo 242 DL 1984.

Last edited by dome; Aug 11th, 2014 at 03:45. Reason: Add make model
dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 17:10   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The first step is to establish whether the problem really is the bearing. Drop the bearing support member, ease the rubber doughnut clear of the ball race, and try spinning the race. If it's fine, then the problem is elsewhere.

If it sounds rough, you've nothing to lose by trying a drop of oil. Dig a small screwdriver or spile into the edge of the seal - rubber, plastic, whatever it is and lever it a fraction clear of the metal, and then inject some oil. Spin the bearing and let the oil work into the ball race, and see if it improves.

All I've ever done that on have responded well. I've never actually replaced a bearing, even after 400,000 miles.

The rubber doughnut is meant to flop about - it's alarming but true. I once replaced one that seemed to me to be worn out. The new one was exactly the same.

If the ball race is OK, look carefully at the spider joints. There should be no play, either sideways or rotationally, but the joint should be free to move in two directions. If a needle race is stiff it will cause vibration. Sometimes there is a threaded plug which you can remove with an allan key to fit a grease nipple.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote