Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towbar 'live'

Views : 618

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 14:21   #1
cassell
Member since 1988

Question Towbar 'live'

Hi,

Before I go to my dealer and end up looking silly, does anyone know if the 'switched live' contact on the towbar 13 pin electrics remains live for a while after the car is turned off?

I have a 2017 V90 with the electric folding Volvo towbar (dealer fitted at enormous cost) and have used it to tow my caravan several times without apparent problem. I recently noticed however that when car and van were hitched and connected I could switch the 12v fridge on without the car engine running!

Assuming it to be a caravan wiring fault I got it checked out when the van was being serviced and the caravan workshop confirms that everything is OK their side, suggesting a fault with the car.

I know that the V90 and current SPA models remain electrically live for some time after switching off and the system gradually shuts down to standby mode to preserve battery power when parked for a while, does this include the towbar electrics?.
Obviously if left indefinitely the fridge current-draw would flatten the car battery without the alternator charging so I'm guessing it may just be a clever system to keep the fridge cold for a while during a break in a journey.

Any thoughts before I go to my Volvo dealer?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 14:26   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Sorry I can't help with your question- but, if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for the folding towbar (parts & labor)? Thanks!
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 16:46   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member

I think there £1000 .1 hour to fit plus software easy job to be honest.

As for staying live I would say that right until you lock car down and wait 12 minutes until totall lock down ,,interesting what dealer says
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 19:59   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Hi,

Before I go to my dealer and end up looking silly, does anyone know if the 'switched live' contact on the towbar 13 pin electrics remains live for a while after the car is turned off?

I have a 2017 V90 with the electric folding Volvo towbar (dealer fitted at enormous cost) and have used it to tow my caravan several times without apparent problem. I recently noticed however that when car and van were hitched and connected I could switch the 12v fridge on without the car engine running!

Assuming it to be a caravan wiring fault I got it checked out when the van was being serviced and the caravan workshop confirms that everything is OK their side, suggesting a fault with the car.

I know that the V90 and current SPA models remain electrically live for some time after switching off and the system gradually shuts down to standby mode to preserve battery power when parked for a while, does this include the towbar electrics?.
Obviously if left indefinitely the fridge current-draw would flatten the car battery without the alternator charging so I'm guessing it may just be a clever system to keep the fridge cold for a while during a break in a journey.

Any thoughts before I go to my Volvo dealer?

Paul
The ignition fed live does remain on for approx 7 minutes after the ingnition is turned off, the 12 volt sockets in your car will also remain live for the same period and windows will still operate for a short time after turning off too.
Is your permanent live fused up, when I had my towbar fitted (by dealer pre delivery) they did not fuse up the permanent live which is required for the caravan Alko stabilty system, they were very reluctant to fuse this up, saying it would cause low voltage warnings, I had to show them the Alko wiring diagram and insist it be made live to comply with Alko fitting instructions.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 20:23   #5
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
The ignition fed live does remain on for approx 7 minutes after the ingnition is turned off, the 12 volt sockets in your car will also remain live for the same period and windows will still operate for a short time after turning off too.
Is your permanent live fused up, when I had my towbar fitted (by dealer pre delivery) they did not fuse up the permanent live which is required for the caravan Alko stabilty system, they were very reluctant to fuse this up, saying it would cause low voltage warnings, I had to show them the Alko wiring diagram and insist it be made live to comply with Alko fitting instructions.
Thanks for this, you've confirmed my suspicions that it remained live for a while after turning off the ignition, hence why my fridge was still powered! I did ring Volvo and the technician 'thought' that was the case, he reckons it stays live for up to 12 minutes or until the car is locked.

Yes, my permanent live is fused up as my Alko system powers-up as soon as the plug is inserted into the socket.

Thanks again for the help, I now need to let the caravan workshop know that when dealing with a new Volvo the old switched-live, split charge relay rules no longer apply!

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2018, 20:31   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Sorry I can't help with your question- but, if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for the folding towbar (parts & labor)? Thanks!
In 2017 the cost was around £975 fitted, I managed to negotiate a VOC members discount with my local dealer, Holdcroft of Stoke, and ended up paying just over £800 from memory.

It took them around two hours to fit including the software update which gives a very useful towing hitch alignment aid via the rear camera when reversing up to your caravan!
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 00:26   #7
Tresco85

We are away touring with the caravan at the moment which is the 1st time towing with the car and have noticed that when the car is turned off the Alko ATC keeps doing its self check every few minutes which we never noticed with the last XC60 and also the light for the ATC has now stopped working so I hope it is all working ok as it does it's self check when 1st plugged in.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 07:34   #8
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
We are away touring with the caravan at the moment which is the 1st time towing with the car and have noticed that when the car is turned off the Alko ATC keeps doing its self check every few minutes which we never noticed with the last XC60 and also the light for the ATC has now stopped working so I hope it is all working ok as it does it's self check when 1st plugged in.
I have noticed exactly the same with my new XC90 and the BPW IDC anti-snaking device on my caravan. This did not happen with my previous car (VW Touareg) and think it must be due to the 12v supply remaining live (for a period) once ignition is turned off. I have taken to removing the caravan electric socket from back of the car when stopped to prevent the constant checking mode cycle.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 14:27   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

Wow, 1000 quid is pricey alright Thanks guys!
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote