Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2034189

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2021, 14:23   #2351
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... this thread has become a bit long!

Very true. But.

Some of us can't help still reading the thread !!!!

Comrade.

... relax Othen, even your apparent "persistent heckler" merely can't resist teasing you ... .

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 16:21   #2352
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, it is a lovely day here also. I think rear tints look fine - I'm keeping them at the back of the RB.

The CCM is in for the MoT tomorrow, so I checked it over and took it for a 10 mile spin to make sure everything is okay. I've remembered to fit a legal size number plate this year (the MoT tester just gave me a telling off last year when I forgot, but still passed the bike). I can't remember whether I need mirrors on the bike for the MoT, so I found a spare set and put them on although they are useless for looking behind:

There is rain forecast for tomorrow, so I'll probably take it for the test on the bike trailer - unfortunately the garage has had to close its waiting room due to coronavirus, so that way I'll be able to sit in the Skoda while I wait.

:-)
Good luck for the MoT tomorrow Alan!

Since my last post i've finally managed to remove the moving and fixed glass penels from the rear drivers side door. Volvo didn't intend either to come out easily and as for the advice in the HBoF, it lived up to the nickname of Haynes Book of Fantasy!

Basically it said after lowering the window and removing the spring clips holding the brackets on the bottom of the glass to the window regulator, simply lift out the glass.

Yeah, right! The window glass is taller than it is long so no amount of cajoling, twisting, lifting etc would persuade it more than halfway out.

Ended up removing the glazing bar between the moving window glass and the fixed 6th light/quarterglass and then removing the 6th light as well - damaged the rubber for the 6th light but a spot of superglue when refitting will rectify that.

While doing it, the sky has turned cloudy. I now have a gaping hole where the glass was, both pieces of glass indoors awaiting another clean with acetone then apply the tint film, clean the rubbers etc then lube them prior to refitting.

Meanwhile i've wrapped a clear PT dust sheet round the doot and pulled it taut after shutting the door, won't be perfect from a security point of view but will at least keep the weather out i hope!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:18   #2353
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good luck for the MoT tomorrow Alan!

Since my last post i've finally managed to remove the moving and fixed glass penels from the rear drivers side door. Volvo didn't intend either to come out easily and as for the advice in the HBoF, it lived up to the nickname of Haynes Book of Fantasy!

Basically it said after lowering the window and removing the spring clips holding the brackets on the bottom of the glass to the window regulator, simply lift out the glass.

Yeah, right! The window glass is taller than it is long so no amount of cajoling, twisting, lifting etc would persuade it more than halfway out.

Ended up removing the glazing bar between the moving window glass and the fixed 6th light/quarterglass and then removing the 6th light as well - damaged the rubber for the 6th light but a spot of superglue when refitting will rectify that.

While doing it, the sky has turned cloudy. I now have a gaping hole where the glass was, both pieces of glass indoors awaiting another clean with acetone then apply the tint film, clean the rubbers etc then lube them prior to refitting.

Meanwhile i've wrapped a clear PT dust sheet round the doot and pulled it taut after shutting the door, won't be perfect from a security point of view but will at least keep the weather out i hope!
Thanks Dave - the bike should be fine.

Do you think security will be an issue where you live?
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:27   #2354
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hi Alan: ~

I have this top hose that is NOS in good condition-part of a stash of spares purchased some time back.
The part number says 463305-3 Volvo original.
If it fits your car then you can have it if you wish- just cove the post would be fine. It doesn’t fit my ’88 240 as the angle runs the opposite way, I think it may be for an earlier model?

Just let me either way and I can sort it etc.
Regards Bob.

(Tried to do the above in a private mail but I cant seem to attach the picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top Hose.jpg (98.4 KB, 4 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:29   #2355
Othen
Premier Member

Default How Does This Bit Fit On?

I noticed this little Volvo badge had fallen off the driver's side wing this morn:

It looks like it is original (from the MY 1980 brochure I have) and it is the same as the one on the passenger's side. This one seems to have been fixed with double sided tape - it may have been held that way for decades, I don't know, but it has not moved for the past year (until the last day or two).

It looks like the two holes in the wing were put there by Mr Volvo to fit the badge, but there are no corresponding pins in its back. I've cleaned up the back of the badge with some acetone and it is smooth - no sign of any pins having ever been there.

Is this the original badge, and if so how was it fitted to the wing? Perhaps some adhesive might solve the problem?

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated .

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 9th, 2021 at 19:30. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:39   #2356
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Hi Alan: ~

I have this top hose that is NOS in good condition-part of a stash of spares purchased some time back.
The part number says 463305-3 Volvo original.
If it fits your car then you can have it if you wish- just cove the post would be fine. It doesn’t fit my ’88 240 as the angle runs the opposite way, I think it may be for an earlier model?

Just let me either way and I can sort it etc.
Regards Bob.

(Tried to do the above in a private mail but I cant seem to attach the picture)
How kind of you Bob,

I can't locate that part number, but I'd say at first sight it looks like the right hose:

... so the answer is I'd welcome it to the RB's spares box - I'll send you a message in a mo.

Alan
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:56   #2357
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed this little Volvo badge had fallen off the driver's side wing this morn:

It looks like it is original (from the MY 1980 brochure I have) and it is the same as the one on the passenger's side. This one seems to have been fixed with double sided tape - it may have been held that way for decades, I don't know, but it has not moved for the past year (until the last day or two).

It looks like the two holes in the wing were put there by Mr Volvo to fit the badge, but there are no corresponding pins in its back. I've cleaned up the back of the badge with some acetone and it is smooth - no sign of any pins having ever been there.

Is this the original badge, and if so how was it fitted to the wing? Perhaps some adhesive might solve the problem?

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated .

Alan
Search ebay/Amazon for "3M Trim Tape" Alan, it's almost certainly how it was originally held on.

PS - currently trying to juggle widow tint film with a pizza and getting everything back together before the typhoon and monsoon we've been promised or i would have found a link for you!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 20:42   #2358
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Search ebay/Amazon for "3M Trim Tape" Alan, it's almost certainly how it was originally held on.

PS - currently trying to juggle widow tint film with a pizza and getting everything back together before the typhoon and monsoon we've been promised or i would have found a link for you!
Many thanks Dave - don’t worry, I’ll find it.
Are we expecting a big storm? In that case I think the bike trailer is a better option than riding the CCM tomorrow!
I’m much the same as you, I’ve just had to pop out to Aldi to get Bob’s chicken and a few other bits whilst my pork vindaloo cooks in the oven. If you get a mo post some photos of fitting the tint film, that would be a handy reference.
Alan
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 21:02   #2359
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default New to me!

Quote:
I've heard of juggling chainsaws or live hand-grenades but never pizzas!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 00:49   #2360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks Dave - don’t worry, I’ll find it.
Are we expecting a big storm? In that case I think the bike trailer is a better option than riding the CCM tomorrow!
I’m much the same as you, I’ve just had to pop out to Aldi to get Bob’s chicken and a few other bits whilst my pork vindaloo cooks in the oven. If you get a mo post some photos of fitting the tint film, that would be a handy reference.
Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've heard of juggling chainsaws or live hand-grenades but never pizzas!
According to the Harbingers of Doom aka the weather forecasters/rumour mongers, we're in for 60-70mph winds and seriously heavy rain tomorrow Alan! :eek!

Finally got the windows back in the door so it's secure and weatherproof for tonight at about 2300hrs, by the time i'd got everything back in and sort of tidied away (still got bits to do so left the tools out), threw the pizza and garlic bread in the oven (which sort of placated Sasha) and sat down with said pizza and garlic bread it was around 2330. Sasha was happy, first that i was eating at last and secondly that she was getting bits of cheese-stuffed crust and garlic bread.

Sadly didn't get any pics of the actual tinting but have before and after pics of the glass. Once the glass was clean, cut a piece of film to slightly larger and in one corner fit a piece of tape (i used insulation tape) on one side then on the other side, another piece of tape at right angles to the first.

Leave a folded over tab of tape on each away from the film so the two pieces can be simultaneously pulled to separate the clear backing film from the tinting film but don't do the separation yet.

Use a strong solution of washing up liquid in a plant sprayer, spray the inside of the glass. Now separate the back film from the tinting film, ensuring you catch the tinting film so it doesn't fall on the floor or anywhere likely to pick up dog fur or similar.
Place the film on the inside of the glass on top of the suds, move it around into position then use a squeegee from the centre outwards to remove the moisture and smooth the film out. Leave somewhere to dry and then using a scalpel, trim the excess edges of the film.

Same method can be used for the glass in the car, i've got a few bits to sort where the seals puckered the film somewhat but i was exhausted, cold and hungry and just wanted it back together so it was weatherpoof and secure.

The trailer is a wise move for tomorrow i think, good luck with the test if i haven't already said it!

I would probably have finished earlier if i had been juggling live chainsaws or running hand grenades - might not have been much left of me but i would have been finished!