Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window Runner Replacement

Views : 1401

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2010, 20:38   #1
80sRich

Default Window Runner Replacement

Hi guys, me again.
Ok so after inspecting the very sorry state of the drivers door on my 1971 144 I ordered a new window runner (the bit that clamps on to the bottom of the window) from Brookhouse Volvo.
Now we have a couple of questions,
The runner we are taking off seems to have rubber between the glass and the runner, however the new one doesn't have that. Is that because the assumption is that I will be able to use the old rubber?
Also and more importantly, does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get the old runner off and how to get the new runner on?

The last thing we want is to turn our perfectly good window into a pile of broken glass on the garage floor! So we are sort of scratching our heads on how to tackle it.
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 21:35   #2
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Regarding removal of old glass support channel, I took the bull by the horns and strategically belted it directly downwards until it grudgingly came off the glass. From memory I re-used the rubber from the old channel, but please correct me if the braims gone to sleep - it often happens. Johnh/Nigel335?

Incidentally, did I meet you at the Portsmouth Section meeting a couple of years back - I was the "visitor" from Sussex in my light blue 164E.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 23:02   #3
80sRich

I am afraid it wasn't me, as I am a newbie on this forum and returner to classic Volvo owner ship.
My first car was an '87 240 estate, when that packed up I moved on to an '89 240 estate that my dad had put a 1977 244 engine into!
Anyway last year I decided that I might be able to save money by getting a new car as I started doing 700 miles a week, so I bought an '05 Golf. BIG mistake financially!
Anyway my dad and I wanted a project and during a moment of recklessness (and much to the disapproval of my fiancée and my mum) we bought a 144 in need of restoration.
That was a month ago and, thanks to myself working nights and my dad being retired, we have been able to work on it pretty much every day weather permitting.
Ok I guess you probably didn't want to know all of that!

So back on topic, how did you get the runner back on to the glass? Just push it on?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 10:36   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Thumbs up Runner

[QUOTE=Audrey Old;628432]Regarding removal of old glass support channel, I took the bull by the horns and strategically belted it directly downwards until it grudgingly came off the glass. From memory I re-used the rubber from the old channel,

Yep use a bit of wood at the bottom and knock it down use a mallet if poss , I did this to my old 164 25 years ago [ the one you had Paul ]
they came off slowley and you use the old rubbers , if they are very bad use a cycle inner tube about the same thicknes .
Regards
Mike B
Ps Just Knock it back on using on a block and soft wood at bottom

M
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 19:17   #5
DJS

Hi,

I made two new channels for my front doors. They were easy enough to make. I then welded them to the window lift mech after carefully removing the old ones. I bonded the glass into the channel (with rubber) using silicone sealer.

It now all works perfectly.

Hope this helps.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 21:20   #6
80sRich

Ok, so I haven't tried the block of wood approach yet. but after taking off my two rear door cards, it would seem that I am going to get quite a lot of practice at fitting these runners. As both rear doors are going to need doing! Arse.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 21:19   #7
80sRich

Ok, update on this, we found in my dads shed two Volvo 240 rear windows with runners still attached. So much to my pleasure we were able to fit those.

I then thought we were home laughing as the door we acquired from Amazon cars came complete with windows. Winner we thought. That was until my father greased the mechanism and started winding the window up and down. It was going great until there was a loud crack and the window runner sheered off! Ar5e!

So we decided to order some new rubber for the runner. Simon at Brookhouse was very helpful and said that he couldn't get 144 rubber anymore, so he agreed to send Amazon rubber and 240 rubber to see which would fit. The Amazon rubber was way to small, and the 240 rubber was about 1 mm too thick, which meant that we couldn't get the glass and the rubber into the runner. So we abandoned that idea after about an hour and reused the old rubber instead! That seemed to work quite nicely!

Another problem sorted! :-)