Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1980 240 GL Auto

Views : 2094

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2022, 21:28   #21
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I've just tried opening ebay in general and typing volvo 245 in the search box. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...5&_sacat=29751 came up = 2 cars.
Changing the 5 to a 4 (volvo 244) got me thousands of parts.
Curiouser and curiouser.
Here be dragons!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 07:18   #22
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I've just tried opening ebay in general and typing volvo 245 in the search box. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...5&_sacat=29751 came up = 2 cars.
Changing the 5 to a 4 (volvo 244) got me thousands of parts.
Curiouser and curiouser.
I think you have hit on the problem with the original listing: eBay has not created a field for '244' in the Volvo part of the 'classic cars' section of its database. That is why my original ad could not be indexed (and so was not searchable). Changing the model designation to '240' solved the problem straight away.

If you try your search for 'Volvo 244' again you may find the RB ad appears (quite near the top when I tried) amongst all the listings for spare parts. I think the search engine has just picked up the '244' in the title rather than having a category: ...classic cars>Volvo>244 to be able to find (because none exists in the database structure of course).

This is of no significance now of course, but I'm grateful to you and to Andrew for pointing it out - otherwise I could have been blissfully unaware that my classified ad was all but invisible for its duration.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 3rd, 2022 at 07:19. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2022, 08:15   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Default eBay Ad

I've cut and pasted the text and main photo from the RB's eBay ad here for convenience:

Year: 1980
Mileage: 112700
V5 Registration Document: Present
Model: 240
Colour: Cyprus Green Metallic
Drive Side: Right-hand drive
Manufacturer: Volvo
Engine Size: 2100
In-Car Audio: AM/FM Stereo, CD Player
Reg. Date: 1800311
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: 4
Interior/Comfort Options: Power-assisted Steering (PAS)
Seats: 5
Fuel: Petrol
Body Type: Saloon
Metallic Paint: Yes
Exterior: Alloy Wheels, Rear Spoiler

I bought this lovely Volvo 244 GL auto nearly 3 years ago as a running and riding project. It had a current MoT and I drove it home, but it had a number of issues (all well documented) that I have addressed in that time. It is now a very good motor car indeed: very reliable, everything works the way it should and correctly registered as an historic vehicle (so it is exempt from tax and MoT testing).

The mileage reading is just over 112,700 - which is to a large extent corroborated by the MoT history I have going back to 2009. I have a service history file covering from 2016 to the present, and very detailed records whilst it has been in my ownership. The motor car has been subtly improved by previous owners and myself to include: Volvo electronic ignition, Koni shock absorbers (adjustable at the front), electric cooling fan, 25mm spacers on the rear wheels (all 240s have a 2" narrower track at the rear, these even that up) and some very nice period Volvo Virgo wheels (which have recently been powder coated). The tyres were new in 2020 (about 5,000 miles); I have replaced the water pump, the cam belt, tensioner and all the auxiliary belts, serviced the auto gearbox, changed all the engine and transmission mounts and the exhaust back box. I have kept the motor car well serviced with filters, fluids and so on as well as fixing and improving a plethora of minor issues (which are well documented).

As you may see from the photos, the 244 is qualified to have black and silver registration plates (being manufactured on 27 Aug 79, as confirmed by the Volvo Historical Archive). I think these suit the motor car well; the original reflective plates are available also. The car is rust free and leaks no oil, the PAS works well and the brakes are exceptionally good. It is very much the 1970s/80s driving experience with the advantages of being tax and MoT exempt as well as modern enough to drive every day. In my opinion this motor car is the perfect way to enjoy historic vehicle ownership conveniently and at very low cost.

The Cyprus green metallic paint is original; a previous owner has added two tone black tops to the wings and doors plus the vinyl stripes and boot spoiler (very similar to the period dealer fitted extra). I think this is all very 1980s and I like it. The horizontal paint surfaces have been affected by the sun, but I think this just adds to the patina. The interior is the original plush velour, all the instruments and gauges work properly as does the sun-roof. The car has a nice modern Sony FM radio with CD player and BT.

I have really enjoyed this project; it has been enormously satisfying to turn a middling motor car into a very good one. I dare say that if I had not bought the 1963 Volvo Amazon visible in some of the photos I would have kept the 244 indefinitely.

The 244 comes with a few extras: a nice original MY1980 owner's manual, a set of good roof luggage bars, a genuine Volvo 240 tow-bar (not fitted) and numerous spares plus both Haynes and Autodata manuals.

This is a very nice classic Volvo at a very affordable price. I would encourage prospective buyers to come and view at NN18 8PF (bring a valid licence and insurance if you would like to drive the motor car) or give me a call on 07533622390 for further details.

Alan
Old May 3rd, 2022, 12:17   #24
Lucien
VOC Member

Good luck with the sale!

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 15:36   #25
nivram
nivram