Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1992 Volvo 240 Torslanda Estate £1600

Views : 1016

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2022, 22:04   #1
knuckledragger

Default 1992 Volvo 240 Torslanda Estate £1600

With fuel dearer than ever and me only driving 6k miles a year, I'm struggling to justify holding down two Volvo estates. I recently purchased this 1991 240 Torslanda with the usual grand plans and best intentions, hoping to run it as a rolling resto over the summer and use it whilst I took my 940 off the road to do some jobs. But last week a very tidy, fun and frugal Citroen AX came up that I couldn't pass on, which makes far more sense to serve this purpose as a stop-gap, so the 240 needs to go. Ideal as a summer project, or for anyone who, like me, wants to d̶e̶l̶u̶d̶e̶ tell themselves another Volvo is the answer.

Good bits:

One lady owner from new (cliched I know, but I'm serious). She was only selling due to health reasons, and had become very attached to it. I feel a duty to try and find a good home for it, hoping it is kept on the road and done up, rather than broken for bits or put round the dirt oval. It's too good for that.

Extensive service history, paperwork and receipts, including original bill of sale from Mill Volvo in Darlington. New Mill dealer number plates too.

MOT'ed until February 2023. Needed two new front tyres (Maxxis), wiper blades and a couple of bulbs to pass.

2.0 B200F engine and 5 speed box run beautifully. Clutch is good. Brakes are good. Blue velour interior is very tidy including headlining and trims. Hasn’t been smoked in or packed full of Dobermans. Has 4 x rubber floor mats (worth £100+ alone). Basic spec because Torslanda, but all electrics appear to work fine.

I've changed the oil, filter, cambelt, thermostat and water pump over the last two weeks. The battery, crank sensor, plugs, leads and ignition box were recently replaced too prior to my purchase.

Very solid structurally, but rear arches are becoming a bit crusty. Repair panels are about. Lots of other localised flakiness as pictured.

Two sets of keys (4 in total I believe)

Bad bits:

Footwells are wet. I know the heater valve is leaking but I suspect the windscreen is partially to blame too, since the PO did say it only started leaking after its replacement.

It's tatty and cosmetically challenged. O/S front wing is dented, both rear bumper hockey sticks are missing (obvs), numerous scratches on the body, rubber window weatherstrips are cracked and perished. It's not been used as a van and has been regularly maintained, but nonetheless it's been a regular get-about since 1991 so don't expect a showstopper.

Rear arches are a bit crusty. Passed the MOT's just fine but these will need addressing at some point.

It suffers an intermittent hot start issue. The PO had a load of ignition components replaced in an effort to remedy this, but the problem still persists. I suspect it's fuel related. The PO said it once cut out on the move too and had to be recovered. Perhaps pump relay, accumulator or some foible in the K-jet? Its intermittent nature makes it difficult to replicate, but it certainly needs sorting and is sure to do it again. So you have been warned!

It’s located near Crewkerne in Somerset and viewing is welcome. It’s currently SORN’ed so tax and proof of insurance are needed if you wish to test drive. Given it’s an on the road 240 in need of work, I’m after £1600. I would love to see this go to a Volvo enthusiast and given a new lease of life.

Flickr album with pictures is here

Last edited by knuckledragger; Mar 26th, 2022 at 22:07.
knuckledragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:27   #2
Paulk

Still available?

I note that this car is only a few miles away from me - I was casually looking for a 240 / 940 needing less work.

(on the other hand I could end up paying more for a vehicle with hidden issue from a seller not so scrupulously honest as you appear to be!)

Anyway hope you manage to sell it.

Regards

Paul
Paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 21:30   #3
knuckledragger

Yes, still for sale Paul
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 19:54   #4
Paulk

Hi

Thanks for your message - I haven't posted enough to be able to reply.

I will consider it further (a bit cold for me to look at cars having just been outside)

Paul
Paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 20:26   #5
knuckledragger

Now sold