Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 diesel tuning options

Views : 15108

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:03   #31
T4Rick
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Here is 2 step in action on a bridge ported engine (I have a BP engine in the garage ready to go on)

It basically interupts the ignition to limit the revs for launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFRGoutt_E

The rotaries are better for larger turbos etc as it has 2 power strokes per rev versus 1/2 a power stroke per rev in a 4 stroke engine, meaning more gasses - there are 2 combustion strokes going on in each rotor all the time.

Yeah I have posted in the diesel engine forum, not much luck yet lol but I have a few months to go before I get one.

Holy F**k that sounds mean

I said a 10 second car not a 10 minute car

Chipped and rolling roaded at 221.9 hp at std boost
Horns relocated for better air flow with a Horn from a Vag,Coil overs fitted
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:03   #32
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Ah of course lol forgot about the lack of throttle plates! Thats pretty cool having an onboard vac supply

Ah I see! That makes sense now do you have a compressor map for the GT1749V? I am just wondering what the efficiancy islands are like on it and where the most efficient boost is etc.
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:22   #33
graemedench
spanner

I dont have map sorry. its tricky there's alot of misinformation about the GT1749V out there. The other problem is it can vary from turbo to turbo a bit as it depends how we'll the VNT has been setup. As the end stop for the arm needs to be set so that when it hits its bang on full efficency. Then the actuator arm needs to be set so it can pull upto that point. get either of these wrong and its like fitting a turbo half the size.

Yeah the VAC pumps really handy. I got some extra samco hose keep it in the boot then when i want to hoover just plug it in and nice tidy seats (I jest lol)
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:28   #34
graemedench
spanner

Yeah thats pretty mean sounding! here's my volvo :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0E0Qc4cDY
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 09:51   #35
m1tch1987
Premier Member

That sounds pretty cool

Although if you wanted a crazy diesel you need to check out this Merc W123 300D engine...standard internals....Scania truck turbo...Drifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw

Someone on driftworks is/has converted their S40 to RWD by bolting on evo bits
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:14   #36
graemedench
spanner

RWD now that'd be cool. There's a dude here doing the 4wd conversion. Might be the same chap. Firefly i think is his screen name. Quite an involved project!

But a very cool project. I was wondering if you could bolt on the 4wd M56 gearbox volvo does and do something with that but again so much to do.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 10:28   #37
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemedench View Post
RWD now that'd be cool. There's a dude here doing the 4wd conversion. Might be the same chap. Firefly i think is his screen name. Quite an involved project!

But a very cool project. I was wondering if you could bolt on the 4wd M56 gearbox volvo does and do something with that but again so much to do.
Not sure if you can see it but here is the thread:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...volvo-s40.html

Looks like he is just bolting on evo bits directly to the S40
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 23:10   #38
smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemedench View Post
So the actuator pulls (increases turbo efficiency) when vac is applied. Inbetween the vac pump and the acctuator is the N75 valve. the ecu basically either sends vac to the actuator (increasing efficiency of the turbo(more boost)) or it diverts the vac to the intake causing the turbo to drop to minimum efficiency (failsafe)
Are you sure the N75 valve is on or off? I assumed that it modulated to create a variable nozzle position for varying engine speeds/loads rather than just open or closed.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 23:46   #39
graemedench
spanner

It does modulate yeah. I was just simplifying it. Also an N75 is a VW part number however - same thing.
Old May 14th, 2011, 21:46   #40
graemedench
spanner

Just an update on my MPG. On my last tank I've got 56MPG thats adverage over the whole tank. I'm Hopiing to get that upto 60MPG over the whole tank, Things to do - remove roof rack, - Harder tyres, Try it with standard turbo again. I think the bigger wheel cause restrictions at lower rev's so on my daily comute its not spinning up enough.

I'll Keep you all upto date how things go
The Following User Says Thank You to graemedench For This Useful Post: