Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mass in Service

Views : 5424

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2011, 20:34   #1
WISEOLD
WISEOLD

Question Mass in Service

No this is not a religous question, but a whole can of worms waiting to be opened. The V5C for my 2002 V70 140 Petrol SE Auto gives "Mass in Service" of 1658. No kerbweight is given. My Elddis Avante 4 berth has an MPTLM of 1360kg. This is a question I have asked in other forums(Caravan Club, Practical Caravan, Towsafe etc) and have received as many different answers as questions asked. What is the definitive answer as to what the 85% guidance is? The V70 has a braked tow limit of 1800kg with 75kg noseweight, I do know how to achieve the noseweight but kerbweight does not show anywhere on my V5C. Any advice/answers please.
WISEOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 20:52   #2
Nig

the best advce i can offer is to physically weigh your car and caravan yourself at a local weighbridge,
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nig For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2011, 21:00   #3
Nig

think i missed a point to your post sorry , try this thread
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80035

and here is a link for weights

http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/volvo.htm#v7002
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:41   #4
WISEOLD
WISEOLD

Question Mass in Service

Thanks Nig for your replies. The links that you kindly listed are ones that I am aware of. Unfortunately, neither of them answer the question and again give weights that I have previously been given. I agree that the weighbridge route seems to be the answer. However I still cannot belive that there is not someone out there who knows how Mass in Service relates to kerbweight! The search goes on!!
Old May 27th, 2011, 16:37   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

A quick Google suggests that for all practical purposes MIS = kerbweight.

DVLA don't use the expression, but there is another new one, Mass In Running Order (MIRO), which also, perhaps, means kerbweight ?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 20:15   #6
Drivelupo

Smile Mass in Service (Long Answer)

Hi Wiseold, the answer to your question is steeped in years of changes to the UK and European versions of plating and testing regulations.

The kerbweight of a vehicle is based on it's unladen weight (ULW) as it rolled off the production line, this is defined as:

The weight of the vehicle minus - fuel, water, batteries, loose equipment, tools, load and driver.

It's kerbweight therefore is defined as:

The ULW plus all of the bits above except the load and driver.

When the driver gets in and drives the vehicle onto a weigh bridge the resulting weight is called it's TARE weight or in the case of vehicle under 3500kg (plus some exemptions) The Mass in Service.

It is generally excepted within the EU that a driver weighs 55-75 kg?

So your V5c lists at part 4g the Tare of your vehicle.

The 85% rule you talk about is a recommendation in respect of towing trailers (a very good one) and as such if you use the figure quoted on the V5c you will not be far wrong, it works out at 82% as I'm sure you've worked out, but even taking 75 kg for the driver off it comes in at 86%.

V5c's are used for all vehicles in the EU now and some trailers use the same format to allow them to be registered with DVLA i.e. the CHRIS register. So everything from motorcycles to LGV's are issued with the same style of form. That means that some of the section 4 parts won't apply.

Hope this helps.
Drivelupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 20:27   #7
Drivelupo

Hi Clifford, in answer to your expression MIRO. This applies accross the EU in order to harmonise the verious regulations etc. as such is the same as the vehicle TARE weight or Mass in Servce weight. The EU defines MIRO as:

'The mass of the unladen vehicle with bodywork, and with coupling device in the case of a towing vehicle, in running order, or the mass of the chassis with cab if the manufacturer does not fit the bodywork and/or coupling device (including coolant, oils, 90 % fuel, 100 % other liquids except used waters, tools, spare wheel and driver (75 kg), and, for buses and coaches, the mass of the crew member (75 kg) if there is a crew seat in the vehicle).'
Drivelupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 21:56   #8
WISEOLD
WISEOLD

Smile Mass in Service

Hi Drivelupo, thank you very much for your lengthy and well explained answer with regard to Mass in service. I am quite content with this explanation, I think that maybe this is because your answer means my vehicle falls within the 85% rule. Many thanks. Happy and safe towing to all.